Which Underwood Ammo will hit Hardest & do Most Damage?

This is a discussion on Which Underwood Ammo will hit Hardest & do Most Damage? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Opinion Needed: (1) Underwood .357 Sig-125gr.jhp @ 1500 fps (2) Underwood 40 caliber-135gr.jhp@1500 fps With the above 2 different caliber ammo's which ammo will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Which Underwood Ammo will hit Hardest & do Most Damage?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opinion Needed:

(1) Underwood .357 Sig-125gr.jhp @ 1500 fps

(2) Underwood 40 caliber-135gr.jhp@1500 fps

With the above 2 different caliber ammo's
    which ammo will hit hardest & cause the most
    damage?

My thoughts ...

The heavier bullet, if at identical velocities, presuming similar expansion (ie, same bullet design/tuning), striking the same target in the same manner. Simple physics, I'd say.

But each bullet's different, as is the target conditions (angle of entry, whether it strikes bone or tissue, etc). So, in practice, it'd probably be close depending on the performance of the given bullet in similar conditions. Might well be that the edge is with the smaller and lighter bullet under certain conditions. ie, With a Speer GD versus a Winchester Ranger-T bullet. Short of a head-on-head comparo, it's hard to say.

Personally, I'd have a hard time turning away from a .357SIG @ 1500fps in 125gr, if I had a choice in two identical pistols in those calibers.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    My thoughts ...

The heavier bullet, if at identical velocities, presuming similar expansion (ie, same bullet design/tuning), striking the same target in the same manner. Simple physics, I'd say.

But each bullet's different, as is the target conditions (angle of entry, whether it strikes bone or tissue, etc). So, in practice, it'd probably be close depending on the performance of the given bullet in similar conditions. Might well be that the edge is with the smaller and lighter bullet under certain conditions. ie, With a Speer GD versus a Winchester Ranger-T bullet. Short of a head-on-head comparo, it's hard to say.

Personally, I'd have a hard time turning away from a .357SIG @ 1500fps in 125gr, if I had a choice in two identical pistols in those calibers.
    Thank-you Sir for your thoughts. Having both a 40 caliber & .357 Sig barrels its sure interesting concept.

That 135gr gives a good pop.

I felt the recoil in my hand every time I pulled the trigger, the recoil of the 165/180gr of Underwood and other main stream manufacturers feel normal but the 135gr doesn't. At least not to me.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    damage?
    These are two subjective and perhaps different questions.

If "Hit hardest"= likely to penetrate deepest, then the heavier projectile. In that case, why would you not choose the 180gr. round?
    If most damage= largest wound channel, then a wider projectile and deeper channel. Again, the .40, but again in 180gr.

The .357sig is a fine caliber, but I feel that it is a niche round. It has great advantages in specific applications. The cost, availability, and narrow situational advantage dissuades me.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Big brother is watching and listening to what is put on these forums. Questions like this can come back to bite you. Just my 2 cents.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

The tests I have seen show that a135 grain 40 going that fast lacks penetration. Tnoutdoords9 has tested a lot of ammo and you need to look see for yourself. The .40S&W in +P with 155 to 165 grain bullet seems to come close to the all out 357Sig.

I'd probably opt for the 357 Sig. It's pretty close to ammo used by a number of law enforcement agencies, who I hear like that round a lot. Same bullet I believe, Speer Gold Dot, right? And I think it's going about 150 fps faster in the Underwood version.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Big brother is watching and listening to what is put on these forums. Questions like this can come back to bite you. Just my 2 cents.
    "Hits hardest and "do most damage" comprise some sort of death-wish for deadly violent assailants, or some macabre view that injury of assailants is desirable?

Seems clear to me, and to anyone seeking defense arming against predation, that effective means of withstanding attempts on our lives is a valid desire. That takes ammo capable of getting that job done, the job that the statutes clearly justify.

I can see the point, but I have a hard time believing the claim would be anything other than a weak and easily-thwarted attempt to vilify someone who's justifiability according to the statutes is iron-clad in a situation warranting stopping the violence of a violent felon bent on death and destruction, particularly when the body of work (postings) of most everyone is along the lines of shooting only where needed, shooting to stop the felony violence against us, not desiring to become involved in any such violence, etc etc .
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

damage?
    The one you can put center mass. (Sorry, had to).

If you haven't, check out tnoutdoors9 on youtube, he has a bunch of underwood ammo tests including the 125gr round in .357 sig. IIRC out of a Glock 32 it was actually over 1500fps. WOW.

EDIT: Yep, I was right. 5 shot avg for that test was 1511 fps, look what it does to that poor gold dot bullet!

Christopher67 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Opinion Needed:

(1) Underwood .357 Sig-125gr.jhp @ 1500 fps

(2) Underwood 40 caliber-135gr.jhp@1500 fps

damage?
    You could get an non-subjective answer if you ask do you prefer dark chocolate vs dark chocolate with cherries!

Both are chocolate but it would depend on your taste! Lucky for me that I have both a 40 S&W barrel and a .357 Sig barrel. So my Opinion is both would do the job with proper shot placement!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? The unknown is the skill level of the operator, and that is probably the only variable.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

What gives this is like your fourth question regarding ammo. Buy some and test em. Geez
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    What gives this is like your fourth question regarding ammo. Buy some and test em. Geez
    LIGHTEN UP--BALLISTIC'S IS FUN AND INTERESTING. fOR YOUR INFO I HAVE testED MANY DIFFERENT AMMO'S SHOT INTO GEL & HAVE SEEN REAL WORLD SHOOTINGS.
    THIS IS A FORUM WHERE I WILL ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS AS IT TAKES TO OBTAIN THE INFORMATION I SEEK.
    smolck and Hobo_Hunter like this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    LIGHTEN UP--BALLISTIC'S IS FUN AND INTERESTING. fOR YOUR INFO I HAVE testED MANY DIFFERENT AMMO'S SHOT INTO GEL & HAVE SEEN REAL WORLD SHOOTINGS.
    THIS IS A FORUM WHERE I WILL ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS AS IT TAKES TO OBTAIN THE INFORMATION I SEEK.
    You are free to ask questions, however this thread's question (another analogy) it is asking which is better a quarter. The one from the Denver mint or one from the San Francisco mint?

Answer is of course the one from the Happy** Bay Mint, I.e., San Francisco mint!

** Happy is synonymous with the word I can't use and be PC!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links