Got 500 free 9MM bullets from Hornady, Thoughts on reloads

This is a discussion on Got 500 free 9MM bullets from Hornady, Thoughts on reloads within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received my 500 free bullets from Hornady. 115gr xtp. They will be used in my wifes Shield. I have never loaded 9mm so ...

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.

I just received my 500 free bullets from Hornady. 115gr xtp. They will be used in my wifes Shield. I have never loaded 9mm so I thought I would inquire of the 9MM gurus out there to find out some of their favorite loads.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

How did ya swing that?
    One more step and it's on!

I usually load 124-147gr bullets with Alliant Power Pistol. It seems to meter well, has nice power and double charges are obvious with it since it's less dense than other powders. You should give Power Pistol a try.

Their website has some relevant load data for you. Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    How did ya swing that?
    got a new press
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

I carry 124gr XTPs over 4.2gr of titegroup, nice and accurate, full expansion, and 15" of penetration in ballistics gel from 10 yards. Never used the 115gr offering though, I tend to prefer heavier hollow points.

Distinguished Member
    I would prefer the heavier bullets also. These were part of Hornady's promotion. 500 bullets with a new press purchase. I have plenty of 45 and 40 bullets so I chose the 9mm. (weight choice was not an option. I have never owned a 9mm until recently. I just never had the urge for one. I figured that these 115s would make good practice ammo. If I load them a little warm then maybe the recoil would be similar to the 124 HSTs. As Fisher10 suggested, I will probably try some Power Pistol powder. I have a bunch of clays and universal clays as I load skeet loads with those 2 powders. I have had good results with universal clays in 45ACP. I may try some of that also.

Thanks for the advice....

Links