Interesting reloads.

This is a discussion on Interesting reloads. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About 5 years ago my wife came home from her brother's house with this box of 9mm lrn reloads for me. I remember thinking "WTH ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Smitty901

Thread: Interesting reloads.

Interesting reloads.

About 5 years ago my wife came home from her brother's house with this box of 9mm lrn reloads for me. I remember thinking "WTH am I gonna do with these old things". I rediscovered them last night and was actually glad to see them after "the Great Ammo Shortage". Anyway I noticed one of the rounds has a dimpled primer. What do y"all think? Did somebody re-use a primer or is it a dud? FWIW the ammo was probably reloaded by my wife's grandfather sometime before he died in 2006.

2. Remove Ads

I would hazard a guess that it is a dud most dastardly.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I believe you are right. I've heard of guys re-using primers, but they hammer out the firing pin strike dimples first ...

Yeah. The tips of match heads are used as priming compound. Nice to know but not something I'll try unless driven to it by desperation.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Looks to me like he just missed one stuff happens
    GlockRacer, sixgun and StormRhydr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Looks to me like he just missed one stuff happens
    Ive had them not punch all the way out on the press. Although it felt like it did but didnt. And when I got to the priming stage it just didnt put a new primer in. That was when I was new to reloading I take things a little slower now to make sure. This was a progressive press by the way.

I've been handloading since the mid-1970s and have occasionally punched a primer out after seating it. In a single instance one fired. A non-event.

Senior Moderator
    Yep.

Its a miss!
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Almost certainly he forgot to punch out the old primer, and he loaded over top of the spent/old primer. In other words; it wont fire. A very common mistake, but not at all dangerous.

Id toss it, and move on.

N.B. Glock advises AGAINST shooting lead bullets out of their guns. Dont know what you shoot, but figured it was worth a warning.

Probably just oversight. I'd use a bullet puller, pull the bullet, dump the powder, and throw it all away.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links