Lead removal

This is a discussion on Lead removal within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To all the reloaders. Do you shoot lead cast bullets. What is some of the best lead remover. Im using hoppes #9 solvent and a ...

Thread: Lead removal

Lead removal

To all the reloaders. Do you shoot lead cast bullets. What is some of the best lead remover. Im using hoppes #9 solvent and a bristle brush right now. And it dosent seem to be doing a good job. Just wondering if there is something on the market that would get the lead out. What are all of you using to get the job done. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

removing lead

find some choreboy copper cleaner in you local grocery

wrap it around your brush

it will scap our the lead without harming your bore

Chore Boy - Ultimate Scrubbers, Pure Copper

or find a lewis lead remover

Lewis lead removal system from brownells less labor intensive works well

The Chore Boy copper scrubbee works well for me. Alternatively, a ball of medium steel wool wrapped around a cleaning jag does the job.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Other bullets. ie FMJ loads fired mixed in with cast bullets.

Btw, I NEVER fire cast lead out of any glock. Glock advises against it, and with good reason, it seems.

been using a lewis lead remover for many mango seasons. the system works well and is easy to use.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Another vote for Chore Boy but make sure you get that brand as other copper scrubbers may be "copper clad." A small piece wrapped around bore brush will scrub it right out.

Now you need to see why you're getting leading. I shoot lead in all my handguns, Glock included with little or no leading. What gun and loads are you using?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I cast and shoot lead almost exclusively. Because I do shoot lead, my hand loads tend to be light. For my semi reloads, I load hot enough to ensure the pistol will cycle. My cleaning regime is very simple. 1) using a DRY brass brush I run that through the barrel 3 or four time. 2) I take a DRY patch and run that down a couple of times 3) using a barrel mop soaked in Hoppe's I wet the inside of the barrel and let that sit for a couple of minutes. 4) I finish with a few dry patches, usually 2 or 3, until they come out clean, then I finish with a last patch with a bit of gun oil. This whole process talks only a few minutes and my guns come out very clean and I have no leading issues. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Another vote for Chore Boy but make sure you get that brand as other copper scrubbers may be "copper clad." A small piece wrapped around bore brush will scrub it right out.

Now you need to see why you're getting leading. I shoot lead in all my handguns, Glock included with little or no leading. What gun and loads are you using?
    Thanks for all the replies. Ill try some out. Im using 125 gr lead round nose bullets from Indiana bullet co. Cci small pistol primers and 3.5 grains hodgdons tite group powder. Out of a S&W m&p 9mm compact. This combo is the most accurate out of my gun.

Links