Winchester USA 9mm JHP

Winchester USA 9mm JHP

This is a discussion on Winchester USA 9mm JHP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there any reason why I should not carry Winchester USA 9mm JHP in my concealed weapon? Is the more expensive Corbon, Gold Dot, Hydrashocks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester USA 9mm JHP

Winchester USA 9mm JHP

Is there any reason why I should not carry Winchester USA 9mm JHP in my concealed weapon? Is the more expensive Corbon, Gold Dot, Hydrashocks that much better? At least with the Winchester I can afford to practice with what I carry.

I would appreciate links to any threads comparing the Win USA JHP with other ammunition.

Thanks, Stuart

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    That's what I use because that's about all I can afford to shoot. I've never had a problem with any of their ammo.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Is there any reason why I should not carry Winchester USA 9mm JHP in my concealed weapon? Is the more expensive Corbon, Gold Dot, Hydrashocks that much better? At least with the Winchester I can afford to practice with what I carry.

I would appreciate links to any threads comparing the Win USA JHP with other ammunition.

Thanks, Stuart
    Shot placement is the key. Carry what you feel safe with. The other rounds are probably better; but, not better than good shot placement.
    Go to www.gunsandammomag.com and click on ammunition then ballistics charts

I also don't buy into Speer or super premium rounds anymore. At anywhere from $12 to $18 for twenty it's just too expensive to run through my gun all the time. Winchester white box is 50 for $11.00. I need to practice with the round I keep in my gun. I'm glad you posted this question because it was on my mind. How much better is performance really? Are people just paying for advertising and hype? It just makes more sense to practice with the same round I use for self defense. I know this might start a war...
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

No I do not want to start a war. I am not a LEO and will not be shooting thru car doors or glass. Most likely I would be 5 yards from an aggressor and be lucky to get two quick rounds off. I just wondered how much better the expensive personal defense ammo is for the average person. I agree with nn's message, shot placement is important. That is why I want to practice alot with the same ammo I carry. When you look at the statistics for the Win USA 9mm JHP, the muzzle velocity and expansion do not look bad. But how does this translate into real life experience.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    WWB HP = Silvertip without the coloring.

I'd carry the stuff and not worry about it.

Josh <><

"WWB HP = Silvertip without the coloring. "

No it is not. The Silvertip has alloy on the hollowpoint surface. I just looked at a box of the WWB two days ago and no sign of the alloy piece.

WWB

Fired some of the WWB .38, 9mm, and .45 into wet newspaper a few weks ago. All expanded fine. The .38 was rather dirty from the snub I fired it in and expanded well. About what I'd expect from the short barrel. The 9 fragmented a bit and lost a large piece of the jacket, but did not separate totally. The .45 could have come from and ammo ad. Perfect mushroom. Minor fragmentation. I didn't weigh any though. I don't mind the fragmenting, although it makes a big difference to some. If the WWB meets your budget and "stopping power" needs, carry it. It is a bit different than the STHP, most notably in price, but the JHP is slightly different. You might want to check for muzzle flash, if that makes a difference to you. Many "cheap" loads have cheap powder, while the premium loads are flash-suppressed. The .38 had a bit of a big white flash to it.

I like it. It is quite accurate in my Beretta M9. I read gel testing results for it somewhere on the web and it performed well. Good ammo for the money. I carry it daily on the job. I got a few boxes from Bass Pro on sale for around $9.00.

i use it in my 9 and 45. i like it.
    Deer huntin' is a hole in the swamp where i spend my wife's money....

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppd1107 View Post
    "WWB HP = Silvertip without the coloring. "

No it is not. The Silvertip has alloy on the hollowpoint surface. I just looked at a box of the WWB two days ago and no sign of the alloy piece.
    I'm sorry to have to disagree with you. The stuff performs the same in Jello and is built using the same technology.

It is in fact a budget Silvertip.

Josh <><

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Stuart, This is what I do.

Find a cheap,reliable,clean,reasonably accurate,PRACTICE ammo. If this ammo shoots a little high right or low left,that's ok.

Then find the "carry ammo" that you want.

The higher $$ carry ammo only needs to be shot enough to ensure reliability(maybe one box) and to find out the point of impact vs. the point of aim. Also possibly to get used to the recoil.

You can check your weapons reliability by mostly shooting the practice ammo. Also you can use the practice ammo for the weapon break in.

I have only shot 75(or so) rds. of my actual carry ammo thru my CCW. The other 400(or so) rds. has been my practice ammo. -------

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    That's what I use ;box of 50 for $12.80!Like the above poster said
    5 yards and not through cars.

I have shot hundreds of rounds in my revolver and have always liked the accuracy and price. May be a bit dirtyer than the premium ammos but it cleans up fine and the end of the day.

Its good ammo and use it in my 45acp G-36 Glock for CCW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links