Wife PO'd at my last ammo purchase.. how much should I care?

This is a discussion on Wife PO'd at my last ammo purchase.. how much should I care? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is semi-rhetorical/venting/ranting/really wonder what everyone else thinks. So like so many families, money's tight.. counting and budgeting to the exact dollar.. give or take. ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: Wife PO'd at my last ammo purchase.. how much should I care?

This is semi-rhetorical/venting/ranting/really wonder what everyone else thinks.

So like so many families, money's tight.. counting and budgeting to the exact dollar.. give or take. .

Never had more than 5 or 6 rounds of JHP ammo for my main (and only) carry gun, plus a ton of function tested FMJ rounds.. not the ideal loading of mags for self or home defense by any means.

I bought my store limit of 3 boxes of 20rds of actual self defense JHP ammo.. totals about $75. Put it on the new credit card- figured could pay it across two months. The ammo has not been ran through or tested through my gun, however similar rounds from the same manufacturer have been, so I bought 3 boxes to run half of it through the gun and carry the rest, IF it worked out.

Of course wife goes and checks the credit card purchase record and sees I spent $75 on ammo.. not happy. How then to explain to a non-shooter why a mag full of FMJ 9mm isn't a good choice in the apartment or out in the street? Around here, if you find ammo you need, you best buy it cuz it wont be there in 5 mins or for another 5 months.

Maybe I should have alerted her to it first, maybe it really IS better to ask for permission rather than forgiveness.. she says I should have only bought 1 box.. which means load up my carry mag and have only 6 extra rounds.. none of which have been proofed through the gun.. also not idea.

What would you have done differently and when it comes to the safety of myself and my family.. should I really put stock in her pissed-off-edness? Granted you want to be honest and truthful with your spouse.. but to not to what I did, I might as well have just locked the pistol in the permanent gun safe and leave it there.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    hey I have the same problem I bought 50 rounds 22 bucks and she through a fit
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Well, you should always care when your wife is POed. Or at least pretend to her that you do. It certainly wouldn't serve you well to act like you don't care when she's upset.

Carry/HD ammo is an absolutely necessary expense. I count it up there with paying bills. Range ammo, not so much, but ammo you bet your life on - absolutely. Help her understand that it is necessary and not just you playing around or indulging your own personal wants.

And find a way to make it up to her. Fast.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Tell her it is for the children.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I feel I'm going to be making a couple really good favorite dinners for her real soon.. lol.

I tried to explain why what I have is not good, we live in an apartment with paper thin walls.. FMJ is dangerous to use for home defense.. she kinda got it I think, but grumbled about me not complaining if the truck payment doesnt get made this month..

If your gun is 9mm or above, there are plenty of tests online to show that JHPs are better, in terms of limiting the risk of over penetration. If you think you have money troubles now, try hitting someone by accident with one of your bullets that went through the BG.

If your gun is .380 or below, then you really do not need JHPs...FMJ is fine, even preferred.

I might tick off some of the ladies here, but as the man of the house, security is your responsibility. She should respect that, and understand that your purchase is for her safety...this is not a toy you are buying. The amount is not a lot...maybe a yard sale is in order. You can probably more than make up for that purchase.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

You will probably need more time in the saddle to figure things out.

In a couple of months, we'll hit the 42 year mark.
    We seldom worry about the budget...she buys her 'stuff', I buy mine.
    Everything gets paid for...it's been that way for 42 years.

Come to think about it, we seldom argue much about anything. About all that happens anymore is a day or two of 'silence'...and that's only once in a great while.
    (I kind of enjoy it.)

If I should die first, she's having a big gun/ammo sale...if she goes first I'm having a big craft sale...if we go together, the kids can sort it out.

After a few more years, you and her will learn that getting angry over a chunk of ammo or a box of crafts isn't worth the energy wasted.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How much should you care? Depends... how comfortable is your couch?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
    This is semi-rhetorical/venting/ranting/really wonder what everyone else thinks.

So like so many families, money's tight.. counting and budgeting to the exact dollar.. give or take. .

Never had more than 5 or 6 rounds of JHP ammo for my main (and only) carry gun, plus a ton of function tested FMJ rounds.. not the ideal loading of mags for self or home defense by any means.

I bought my store limit of 3 boxes of 20rds of actual self defense JHP ammo.. totals about $75. Put it on the new credit card- figured could pay it across two months. The ammo has not been ran through or tested through my gun, however similar rounds from the same manufacturer have been, so I bought 3 boxes to run half of it through the gun and carry the rest, IF it worked out.

Of course wife goes and checks the credit card purchase record and sees I spent $75 on ammo.. not happy. How then to explain to a non-shooter why a mag full of FMJ 9mm isn't a good choice in the apartment or out in the street? Around here, if you find ammo you need, you best buy it cuz it wont be there in 5 mins or for another 5 months.

Maybe I should have alerted her to it first, maybe it really IS better to ask for permission rather than forgiveness.. she says I should have only bought 1 box.. which means load up my carry mag and have only 6 extra rounds.. none of which have been proofed through the gun.. also not idea.

What would you have done differently and when it comes to the safety of myself and my family.. should I really put stock in her pissed-off-edness? Granted you want to be honest and truthful with your spouse.. but to not to what I did, I might as well have just locked the pistol in the permanent gun safe and leave it there.
    Well, unless your wife is a gunny like you, you will never get totally beyond that issue. I have been married for 21 years, and still have "some" issues with the purchase of ammo and other gun related items. You'll get through it. Hang in there.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Tell her it's okay because you only spent $75 on ramen noodles for the whole months food bill
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Or tell her you got it on sale so you actual SAVED money. We call that the boomerang technique.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Or tell her you got it on sale so you actual SAVED money. We call that the boomerang technique.
    LOL!!! That's a good one!
    Badey likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

It'll blow over. I've done similar things, and she's mad for a couple of days, then she gets over it, until I do it again...
    Hodad likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Team

Teamwork!!!
    the bottom line comes to working together as a team. Put the shoe on the other foot, if she went and purchased something on credit (the purchase does not matter). What matters is that a team communicates and works together towards a common goal. If you were a good friend I would say stupid move, ask forgiveness, take ammo back and start over.

I am in no way trying to insult you, but men are dull and need some sharpening and sometimes we need blunt trauma to awaken us to the reality of our decisions we make.

Lastly, it is rhetorical as you stated... mainly because you see the light and that you should have communicated with her in the first place instead of banking on her reaction to forgive.

Work hard at your marriage so you can play hard as well!!!!! : )

Good first post Dr. Phil.
    Badey, sioux565, SHP1969 and 5 others like this.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links