Ammo again

Ammo again

This is a discussion on Ammo again within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend my niece's boyfriend told me they were at Cabela's and the shelves were all full of ammo, even 223, which is what he ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Compa49
  • 1 Post By Quincythedgo

Thread: Ammo again

Ammo again

This weekend my niece's boyfriend told me they were at Cabela's and the shelves were all full of ammo, even 223, which is what he was looking for. I didn't want to drive all the way to Cabela's so I went to the local WM and they had several boxes of 100 WB 9mm so I bought my limit. Even my local gun store had lots of 100 WB. I went there first so I got a box there as well. It was more expensive but I like supporting the local gun store and the price wasn't outrageous. I am just glad to see ammo back on the shelve. I did go to two other sporting good stores. One had some but was expensive and the other didn't have any.

Now I just wish I could find some self defense ammo. That is like finding gold! At least Gold dots, rangers ts, and golden sabres are.
    Cheesewiz likes this.

If you do online purchases, Sgammo still has Federal HST 147gr box/50 in stock for 29.95 and Golden Saber 38+p box 25 for 15.95
    I jumped at the chance to get some more boxes of HSTs for fair price.

Cabelas sometimes gets some old Hydrashok and Remington JHP in stores.
    onacoma likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Quincythedgo View Post
    If you do online purchases, Sgammo still has Federal HST 147gr box/50 in stock for 29.95 and Golden Saber 38+p box 25 for 15.95
    Thanks for the tip. I was surprised that 1) they had so much ammo, and 2) it was reasonably priced. Especially considering what I just paid for hydrashok today at my LGS. I have never used HST since I can't get it around here but I have heard nothing but good things. They guy at the LGS I spoke to today said he hasn't seen 9mm Gold Dot in months. So at least I have a good stock of SD ammo. And with the target ammo I got today I am OK for a while. Good to see things are starting to improve. Since I am a fairly new gun owner I don't know quite what normal is but at least I don't have to worry about running out before I find more. Especially after today.

Keep at it is all I can say.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Compa49 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I was surprised that 1) they had so much ammo, and 2) it was reasonably priced. Especially considering what I just paid for hydrashok today at my LGS. I have never used HST since I can't get it around here but I have heard nothing but good things. They guy at the LGS I spoke to today said he hasn't seen 9mm Gold Dot in months. So at least I have a good stock of SD ammo. And with the target ammo I got today I am OK for a while. Good to see things are starting to improve. Since I am a fairly new gun owner I don't know quite what normal is but at least I don't have to worry about running out before I find more. Especially after today.
    The ammo shortage is far from normal. Panic buying after Sandy Hook and various other factors have contributed to the ammo shortage. I hope things perk up, and this isn't the new normal.

I normally don't shoot the Win white box value-pack stuff, as I typically buy case loads of 124 or 147 gr at the gun shows. But I was in Wally World recently and I've shot a 9mm in steel matches a couple of times, so I picked up a couple of boxes to replenish the supply. At the range last week, I loaded up the CW9 and I thought my shootings skills had evaporated like a puddle in the desert heat! Seriously, I'd need 2 hands to cover the "group" of 7 shots on the reduced silhouette at 25 feet. I slowed down, I worked the trigger with great deliberation... groups got a little better, but I was pretty disgusted with myself. At that point I loaded up 3 mags' worth of Silvertip ammo which has been the carried supply for over half a year, just to burn it up. What a difference... I started making golf-ball sized groups. The only difference was the ammo. Same manufacturer, same 115 gr bullet weight, minimal advertised velocity difference, but the ST was way more precise. Time to start loading my own 9mm practice fodder!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links