Alternating SD ammo in mag?

This is a discussion on Alternating SD ammo in mag? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about alternating Speer GD 124s and 115s in my sd mag. This would be because 115s are more readily available than the 124s, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Alternating SD ammo in mag?

I'm thinking about alternating Speer GD 124s and 115s in my sd mag. This would be because 115s are more readily available than the 124s, and I could conserve my 124s. What do you think of this idea? It seems to me that it would work just fine.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    sounds like a recipe for inconsistent felt recoil/shot placement and slow recovery/follow up shots. conserve 124 grains ? why ? you wont need them if you`re dead because you can`t consistently hit what you`re aiming for.

if you really must alternate ammo then put the 124s in the gun and the 115s in the spare mag.
    Last edited by technomonster; July 9th, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
    Snub44, USM1976 and 12smile like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I have enough trouble with round count when things get fast and I only have ONE bullet weight in my mags. I can't imagine cluttering my mind trying to count TWO different ones! IMHO, it's nonsense.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Am I reading this correct? You are trying to stagger ammo types to conserve your self defense ammunition in a self defense situation?

I thought I was cheap

No. I wouldn't do it. First off, you are most likely not going to be shooting your SD ammo, period, so if you have enough to fill a magazine or two (and you've function tested it in the weapon), you really don't need to "conserve" it. Secondly, if you do have to shoot your firearm in self defense, you want it to be consistant and perform as expected; taking the BG down as economical as possible isn't the goal.
    FlaRon, Nmuskier and Brad426 like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

My personal opinion is not to compromise on a lethal force situation. My life is worth a top quality handgun and top quality ammunition.

As has been noted if you want to carry FMJ's in your spare magazine that's your decision however your Speer Gold Dots should be the only ammo loaded in your carry gun.
    USM1976 likes this.
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

I get what y'all are saying. Both loads are JHP, if that makes a difference. Both are Speer GD JHPs. I wouldn't be counting rounds---just aiming and firing. It makes sense to load the backup mag with the 115, though.
    Well, so far the consensus is "no"! :)

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    I'm thinking about alternating Speer GD 124s and 115s in my sd mag. This would be because 115s are more readily available than the 124s, and I could conserve my 124s. What do you think of this idea? It seems to me that it would work just fine.
    I would want all of the ammo in the magazine to be identical regardless of whether 115 gr. or 124.
    Is the 124 gr. GD is in such short supply that you do not have enough for a full magazine?
    Conserve?

I'm going to assume you have shot "enough" of each of those loads to prove they are reliable.
    It is implied that there is a sufficient supply / availability of 115 gr. GD; I would stick with that assuming 100% proven reliable function.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member
    Never a good idea. Different weight bullets have different recoil and point of aim. Sometimes one is a little longer or shorter than the other and can cause feeding problems. Best advice is to use all of the same ammo. You should have at least two mags for each gun so just load one with 115 and the other with 124. That is what I do when I am short of SD ammo. I find that 124 gr. GD ammo is available and am sitting on a surplus of it. Just need to keep looking and you will find it, albeit at a high price.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I like to alternate 147, 124, 115, 90gr. frangible, FMJ, tracer, AP, incendiary, rubber/riot, and blanks. Carry a 30 round mag, and fire rounds into the air (especially the blanks) until you get to the desired effect.

No, load what will most effectively/quickly stop a threat, and K.I.S.S.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I like to alternate 147, 124, 115, 90gr. frangible, FMJ, tracer, AP, incendiary, rubber/riot, and blanks. Carry a 30 round mag, and fire rounds into the air (especially the blanks) until you get to the desired effect.

No, load what will most effectively/quickly stop a threat, and K.I.S.S.
    in a combat shotgun it would be a viable approach. buck shot and then slugs as the distance closes. cycle out the buck shot and go straight to slug if needed. or insert any ammo type into the chamber as needed.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Not too pile on but no that's a bad idea. One mag one grain the other mag the other. Don't overcomplicate things.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

...buck shot and then slugs as the distance closes...
    That's a unique approach. Most folks I know use the reverse, meaning - shoot slugs at a distance and buckshot as the distance closes. Please explain the reasoning behind your tactic. Thanks!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Why?
    bmcgilvray and USM1976 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Hummmmm...was that last one a 115 or a 124...damn can't remember...chit..now I gotta unload the mag and start over....honey can you keep the dog quite so I can concentrate..I'm trying to save us a few pennies here...can you help me....gosh what should be the first one out of the barrel ...a 124 or a 115....man this is complicated......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post

Personally I wouldn't. I've been carrying almost four years and have not fired a self defense round in actual self defense yet. So, from that standpoint I've managed to conserve 100% of what I had. Now that ammo has gotten tight, I don't practice as much with self defense rounds, but when I carry; I carry the best that I've got.
    USM1976 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links