Plated or Lead

Plated or Lead

This is a discussion on Plated or Lead within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have loaded Berry bullets for some time. Current component shortage has got my attention. Loaded some lead 115 gr RN and other than having to ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Springer99

Thread: Plated or Lead

Plated or Lead

Have loaded Berry bullets for some time. Current component shortage has got my attention. Loaded some lead 115 gr RN and other than having to adjust crimp for pressure and bell for seating They performed well. I always load at the low end and believe that will reduce any leading problems. I ordered some LRN 115 gr from Missouri Bullet Company. Anyone have any experience with these and thoughts about lead. I am shooting a Bersa BP9cc.

jk

Cast bullets are just about the only style I shoot anymore, except for some HP defensive instances. Use them in 45ACP, 9mm and 38Super. MBC is a good supplier and can walk you thru any problems that you might run into. I've found that making certain they are sized right is the most critical aspect of lead bullet success, followed by using the right hardness. Notice I said the right hardness, not the hardest. I've found softer alloys are better for 45ACP and medium hardness is perfect in the others. I've settled on using .357dia. sized cast in both my 9mm's and 38Super and get NO leading, even at over 1300fps. I do prefer SMC, TC or FP bullets, mostly because they aid me in scoring. Never had much success in the accuracy department using any plated bullets and find good, well cast bullets much better in that area.
    jkurt70 and bmcgilvray like this.

Thank you! This is a whole new ballgame for me. Some time back I asked a rep at S&W about using lead bullets. To make a long story short....he said no in a very forceful manner. Not rude but more or less why put regular in a high performance engine.

jk

I made the switch from jacketed to lead a couple of years ago. It's a bit of a hassle, looking for the right diameter size, hardness, and powder that doesn't cause barrel leading. However, once you find the right combination, you will be glad you did. Cast bullets are, in my experience, a bit more accurate, certainly a LOT cheaper, much more readily available and are much much easier on your barrel.

A few helpful hints I learned along the way:

- Usually, at least at most common handgun velocities, softer is better. Harder bullets don't "obturate" (i.e., expand out to fill and seal the barrel) as well. And this not obturating causes leading.

- Learn to watch for barrel leading. The way I look for it is to shine a flashlight from the (VERY unloaded) muzzle end of the barrel towards the chamber. Leading looks like a gray coat of smeared stuff in the barrel.

- When (not if) you get some leading, don't panic. Wrap some strands of copper Chore Boy around a nylon brush. A few passes will get the lead out.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I shoot mostly lead in all my handguns (9mm Mak, 9mm, .45 ACP) with little or no evidence of leading, even in my (Gasp!) Glock 30. MO bullets is my primary source, although I use the 124 grn 9mms. Performance with mid-range loads has been fine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I use lewis lead removal tool works great takes couple of minutes

I have shot both lead SWC's and Plated RN bullets in both my G-21 and 1911. In the 40 I shoot TCW in 200GR and a few 180GR. In 9MM it is all FMJ. Nothing is pushed fast enough to cause leading in the 45 and 40's. The 40 is a G-35 and both Glock barrels have never had issues digesting them. The 200GR SWC's were shot in competetion in the early 1990's before the Reloaded Lead issue with Glocks even surfaced!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Sponsored Links