22 Magnum - Best loads for personal defense?

22 Magnum - Best loads for personal defense?

This is a discussion on 22 Magnum - Best loads for personal defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a NAA .22 mag mini-revolver (five shot) and am looking for the best load for maximum stopping power. I know that many would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 Magnum - Best loads for personal defense?

Question 22 Magnum - Best loads for personal defense?

I have a NAA .22 mag mini-revolver (five shot) and am looking for the best load for maximum stopping power.

I know that many would debate the choice of carrying a .22 mag at all , but that's not really what I'm looking for here. I understand that my choice to carry this gun has very specific limitations and that many, many other guns would be better for self defense. I also have a Glock .40, a Ruger .45, an HK .380, and a Kel-Tec 9mm, but I would like to have a great load for my .22 mag so that I can rely on it as a BUG or in an extreme case for concealment's sake as my temporary primary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am currently carrying CCI Maxi-Mag JHP 40 grain. I know, I know, 40 grain would be just enough to fill the "hollow" in my .45 hollow points!!

Thanks for any help,

ccWV
    The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, . . . that it is their RIGHT AND DUTY TO BE AT ALL TIMES ARMED . . . Thomas Jefferson (June 5, 1824)

For Close Range...

and personal defense, I would throw the gun...

Seriously though, my wife is just starting to carry something with her on 'outings'. It has taken me 'decades' to convince her to do so...
    Although she has a D/S .38, she still won't carry that just to go to the mall, but will take it on longer trips.

So now she has started taking the NAA .22LR...it's better than nothing and she is now forming a habit...something a little bigger for EDC is just down the road...I can wait!

As far as...What Load?...I don't think it makes a difference with that pistol. If fact, bird shot, it the face of an attacker might do just as well.

For my wife, she has plain old .22LR Stinger...and it would!

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would say any of the three loads offered from CCI. The lighter wieght bullets will likely give you a little more velocity.

Check out http://www.naaminis.com/
    North American's website. They have a page with a chart giving the performance of different loads in the gun you mention.
    http://www.naaminis.com/naaveloc.html
    Bases on their chart, I keep CCI MAXI MAG +V in mine.
    For me, this was a good place to start before I made my choice.
    Also check out the slip on rubber grip. They don't add much size to the gun, but greatly improve the way you'll shoot it.
    http://www.naaminis.com/grip22.html
    Or on the main page, click on Site Map.
    Accessories Page Links. Mini Revolver Grips.
    Product # GSO-M
    coach

Administrator

The .22 mag was really not ever produced as a self~defense round so most of the statistics available for the cartridge are not very applicable to an extremely short barreled pistol...as you may have noticed if you were doing your homework.

I believe that the most effective ammo for your little NAA pistol would be the Winchester Super-X cartridge and lots of other folks who carry the NAA agree with that ammo choice.
    I believe it's a 40gr jhp with extremely reliable and consistent detonation even w/ a lighter firing pin strike.

There are some faster fps and slightly more "kick a$$" ammo brands that you can choose but, you'll probably like the Winchester best.
    Just my personal opinion.

Hands down, CCI Quick-Shok in LR -- I don't know if they make it in 22WMR, however...

Dead

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    ccWV, Boy oh boy,some of these guys are tough today. Especially since you aknowledge what a .22Mag is all about.

The best rd for the close range(arm length),short bbl,5(?) shot gun with "no" reload possible during the fight,would be for me,any of the very fast(hyper velocity) NON HP's. The harder the better.

This I feel, could reach the heart,any major autery,and most of the CNS stuff,including the spine. Most shots to the head would be deadly and given the lack of hydrostatic shock this would be my target.

Go ahead,carry that pea shooter. If aimed at me I would certinly cease hostilities.

For a BUG,or a BUG's BUG,go for it. To each their own. --------

IMO, for the mag in a SD type use your are better off with the 50 grain FMJ version, speed and penatration...

Another vote for the Quick-Shot if its available in 22mag, or better yet the CCI SGB with the bigger flat point

Black Widow

Used to carry a Black Widow as a BUG. Unfortunately, no Quick Shok listed in the magnum. One load from Winchester:
    http://www.winchester.com/products/c...RlciBNYWdudW0=

And one from CCI:
    http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx
    (The Maxi-Mag TNT #0063)

These were the only ones that had any kind of meaningful expansion. Some other loads expanded or flattened out a little bit, or tumbled, but nothing impressive. The CCI has a noticeable muzzle flash, the Winchester has much less in my Widow.

I use it now as a "bicycle gun" in case of dog trouble, one CCI shotshell and 4 of the TNT. It sits in a pouch on my bike, but I'd carry it again (without the shotshell) as a BUG if I lost my Kel-Tec .32. Used to carry it in a back pocket alongside a spare 1911 magazine.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Appreciate the replies very much!

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your experiences!

ccWV
    The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, . . . that it is their RIGHT AND DUTY TO BE AT ALL TIMES ARMED . . . Thomas Jefferson (June 5, 1824)

Administrator
    Ditto: the member who commented less muzzle flash with Winchester.

Assistant Administrator
    Maxi Mag +V.

My NAA is very much ''mini BUG'' but that round when I tested it with various things like squashes etc - did seem usefully ''disruptive'' (considering it's cal and bullet weight).

It is reckoned IIRC that a .22 mag from NAA mini has about the vel of a ..22LR from a rifle - meaning somewhere between 1,100 1,200 fps at muzzle.

[i]edited to remove my absurd assertion that speeds were in region of 11,000 to 12,000 - oops LOL)[i/i]
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    11,000 FPS ?

I need some of that !

Thats pretty fast....

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator

Talking

Chris ate too much turkey...that is making his bullets move extra fast today.

Assistant Administrator
    Thx QK - LOL!

Bob - IIRC those maxi mags out of rifle move at about 2,000 fps but haven't checked up to be sure. Interesting tho - if we say out of NAA we have a round figure 1,000 fps then ME with 40 grainer is 88 ft lbs. Out of rifle at around 2,000 (if I am right in what I recall) - then we have 350 ft lbs or so.

That nicely shows how energy varies as a function of square of velocity. (twice vel - 4x energy).

(Realized my error Bob - yes 11,000 would be moving good )
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links