Ammunition contaminated by WD40

This is a discussion on Ammunition contaminated by WD40 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Continued my amateur Mythbusters experiment today. I had soaked some ammunition in WD40 for about 5 weeks. I had also soaked some in Hoppes #9, ...

Thread: Ammunition contaminated by WD40

Ammunition contaminated by WD40

Continued my amateur Mythbusters experiment today. I had soaked some ammunition in WD40 for about 5 weeks. I had also soaked some in Hoppes #9, but someone "cleaned up" the workbench and tossed it. The rounds in question were:
    .45 Gold Saber230gr and PMC 230gr ball
    .40S&W 180gr PMC ball
    .38spl +P Winchester 158gr LSWCHP
    9mm Independence 115gr ball
    .380 S&B 90gr ball

Some discoloration was noted to cases and bullets. The 9mm would not fire. The .45 ball had an odd muzzle flash (saw some orange flame and sparks) but fired. All others fired normally.

Lessons learned?
    1: Shooting stuff is fun. Repeat as necessary.
    2: I still wouldn't trust badly contaminated ammo unless I had no choice. For example, when I tested this for 1 week, the same .40 failed.
    3: IANAL. Do not try this at home. I'm not an expert, but I expected the worst tht could happen was a squib, I could be wrong. Never trust discolored or suspect ammo, Especially for defending your life! Ammo is cheap.
    4: The premium ammo is probably worth it. The Gold Saber is well known to have an asphalt seal. The S&B has a thick red sealant on the neck and primer. The .38 has a light primer seal, but a lead bullet. That one surprised me.
    5: Shooting stuff is (educational and) fun. A bad day at the range beats a long night at work.

As always comments are welcome. Thanks to my fellow gunsmith for his help, and to all the guys and gals at my range who put up with this. Your comments are welcome. I'll take requests if anyone out there has an interest.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    A bit more detail would be interesting. By "soaked" do you mean immersed? Was the WD40 regularly sprayed on the entire cartridge? What was the schedule? Stuff like that. Thanks for testing this out. I'm always curious about these things.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Submerged

I filled an old plastic bottle with enough to just barely cover the cartridges. I shook it every once in a while, probably no more than twice a week. I meant to make it a month exactly, but got busy. I posted the test I did for one week with salt water, Hoppes, and WD40. It's around here somewhere.....
    I had several more and different rounds soaking in #9, but I have to check my notes to find out exactly which they were. I wanted to test cheap stuff as well as premium stuff with primer and-or neck sealant.

VIP Member
    The first time I heard of WD40 affecting primers was in some column by Massad Ayoob some years back.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Administrator
    Great test. Thanks for posting.
    An interesting addition is that years ago I did a submerged in water test on high quality factory loaded .45acp ammunition and all proved to be perfectly waterproof after being under water for weeks and shot absolutely normally after being dried off with a towel.

WD40 & Rust Buster penetrating type oils are doing exactly what they are intended to do when they migrate into the interior of ammunition.
    They are formulated to creep and wick into extremely tight places like stuck & frozen screw threads.
    I do not use WD40 on my firearms.

Assistant Administrator
    Good info - and thx for doing it all.

I think in fact many things as well as WD could over time affect ammo but these days much of it is remarkably environmentally immune.

I am thinking stuff like Kroil and Liquid Wrench could be even more damaging, due to their volatile nature and penetrating abilities. For sure tho - casual contact with water is in almost all cases with modern ammo unlikely to have bad effects.

Glad we are way beyond the ''keep your powder dry'' days
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Given what you subjected the ammo to,I am amazed that any of it shot.

I don't own any Penetrateing Oil. If I want to free something stuck(bolt,nut,piston,etc.) I hit it with some good ol' WD and let it set for 15 minutes. It penetrates anything. It's also great for displaceing water.-------

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Good info - and thx for doing it all.

I think in fact many things as well as WD could over time affect ammo but these days much of it is remarkably environmentally immune.

I am thinking stuff like Kroil and Liquid Wrench could be even more damaging, due to their volatile nature and penetrating abilities. For sure tho - casual contact with water is in almost all cases with modern ammo unlikely to have bad effects.

Glad we are way beyond the ''keep your powder dry'' days
    Marvel Mystery Oil is another. I've used it to get under pressed AK front sight assemblies, for "rubber-mallet removal". It also lifts crud from the bore like you won't believe.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I never submerged ammo lol , but i did spray test ammo for a job once , my conclusion was dont lube your ammo. It wont help feed , and might create a dead round .. not unloading mags and spraying down with any lube tho is not the issue .. as long as any dept is shooting what they carry , or indiv .... you will shoot it up before any migration can take place ... now if you got surplus ammo of the normandy invasion .. that may be a different story .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    wd-40, gun oil, salt water lots of stuff ruins ammo.
    Interesting post, thanks.
    Best thing to do is keep wd-40 away from guns, except for using it and a brass brush to get lead out of a shotgun barrel.

Links