9mm Critical Duty barrier penetration test

This is a discussion on 9mm Critical Duty barrier penetration test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying Critical Duty 9mm ammo for a while now because of its claimed superior performance in barrier penetration. I decided to see if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 9mm Critical Duty barrier penetration test

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

I've been carrying Critical Duty 9mm ammo for a while now because of its claimed superior performance in barrier penetration. I decided to see if it lived up to the lofty performance claims I've read about online. One article in Shooting Illustrated claimed the 9mm Critical Duty round could punch through a sheet of 16ga steel and still penetrate 25.5" of 10% gel! Really? If so, that's impressive given without any barriers standing in the way of the bullet the best I've seen is about 20" of penetration from the 9mm Critical Duty.

I also ran my former carry round, the 147gr Gold Dot, through the same battery of tests to see how it compared.

Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good one-on-one comparison. Seems either would be effective if properly applied. Thanks.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

...I'm going to find some 147gr Gold Dot and get rid of the Winch Ranger 127gr+P+ I've been carrying in my KP95DC...no need for that heavy recoil...thanks for the test...

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    As always, fantastic video! Also important is the empirical quality of your test.

This reaffirms what I've lived by: use the heaviest load for caliber your pistol will reliably cycle. Speer 147 gr. performed admirably.

You do good stuff.
    Aceoky and oldskeetshooter like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Great comparison and great video!! Reinforces my like of the gold dots

Thanks for the post. Sounds like some are making claims, (16 ga. steel then passing through 25.5 in. of gel) that could be flirting with undesirable in a defensive round.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Yup, been carrying the 147gr stuff for years. My mantra, go heavy or stay home.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Shooting through barriers is not my style. Looks like I need more training.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Yup, been carrying the 147gr stuff for years. My mantra, go heavy or stay home.
    I'll use that on my next doctor's visit and let you know how that works out.
    oldskeetshooter and Phaedrus like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Shooting through barriers is not my style. Looks like I need more training.
    No additional training necessary. If you get into a gunfight where the bad guy is taking cover vs. just stand there waiting for you to shoot him, try coaxing him out with something enticing. Carry some candy in your pocket or toss a $20 bill out on the pavement, that might draw him out so you can shoot him.
    Brad426, Snub44, Aceoky and 4 others like this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'll use that on my next doctor's visit and let you know how that works out.
    I'm sure you'll receive some pretty strange looks sitting there in the waiting room chanting that one.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

IIRC, the FBI wants 12 inches minimum, with 15 desired. 18 is considered the upper limit, as more than that increases risk of over penetration.

Would be interesting to test those loads in bare gel, and in denim and/or leather covered gel. And hey - how about some auto glass?

Point being that ammo cannot do everything well...no matter how the engineers try.

I would be a bit concerned about overpenetration with this load. Thanks for doing the test, as I was thinking about this load myself. Think I'll stick with Federal EFMJ in the "LEO" 124 gr +P variety. Good results even from short barrels were posted on GoldenLoki, before he shut his site down. But I also have a stash of 147 gr Gold Dots laying around...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    No additional training necessary. If you get into a gunfight where the bad guy is taking cover vs. just stand there waiting for you to shoot him, try coaxing him out with something enticing. Carry some candy in your pocket or toss a $20 bill out on the pavement, that might draw him out so you can shoot him.
    Just leave 'hem in the horse barn with the doors open and call the Sheriff. He can't go far. Everybody knows that an Indiana horse can't jump a fence.
    ;)
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Sorry to burst the bubble, but your test was nothing even close to how the FBI protocol tests are done, the shots are taken from 10 feet from the barrier .. Below you can find how the testing is suppose to be done.... But I give ya props for the great video, I found that the critical duty is nothing special I tested it and had very disappointing results, even shot from my G34 and G21, and G23. I'll stick with my Federal HST and Barnes solid copper bullets,

Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Videos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links