Stacking your mags - alternating rounds in your magazine

This is a discussion on Stacking your mags - alternating rounds in your magazine within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen a lot of discussion around the subject of "stacking" mags, or alternating the type of rounds in your magazine. In my recent ballistic ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Stacking your mags - alternating rounds in your magazine

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

I've seen a lot of discussion around the subject of "stacking" mags, or alternating the type of rounds in your magazine. In my recent ballistic test videos I've seen a large number of comments from viewers who recommend this practice thinking it gives them an advantage.

I figured it was time to toss my $0.2 into the discussion.

Alternating ammo in your magazine | The Bang Switch

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts, especially if you're a stacker and feel I'm off the mark with my comments.
    pgrass101 and Kennydale like this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Agreed... I always thought alternating rounds was silly. I can't keep up with my car keys much less remember if the next round is a JHP or FMJ.
    StormRhydr, USM1976 and Glock2201 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I agree with the artiicle of it being a bad idea. I want every round I fire to "feel" the same so I can ensure proper accuracy. Also, there is no way I would remember what round was in the chamber at any give time, so if I shot a FMJ 9mm at a bad guy, I would fear the round would pass through and hit some one beyond the target. Also, if I was intellegent enough to know which type of round was in the chamber and it turned out to be the "wrong" one for the situation I am in, then what? Do I fire it off into the air or rack the slide to the desired round? With the quality of most defensive rounds now days, that thought of alternating a FMJ with a HP in the magazine is not necessary.
    Last edited by txron; July 23rd, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I guess I dont understand the thinking on stacking with alternating ammo. if I have a proven reliable SD round, why would I want to alternate that out? at the very least both rounds would have to be totally reliable on their own. but whats the court room take on it? "well sir, it allowed me to kill him even better than before!"

VIP Member
    I don't use FMJ for SD ammo. I used to, but no more. I have watched 9mm skip 600 yards after contact across a plowed field into the grass beyond, often at a very sharp angle from the original trajectory.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    I'm a n00b and I could even tell you that stacking alternating ammo lacks common sense. But who am I. I would have never done, but glad MAC confirms my genius...Ha!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    After your last thread I started wandering the same. Thanks for posting this. Looking toward to reading more of your blogs, you hit some very good points on a lot you say.

Sent from my DROID RAZR cuz robots are cooler than fruit.
    Aceoky likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Bad Idea. The only time I have had different ammo in my mag is if I needed ta few more rounds to fill it to capacity. Otherwise same grain, same type, same make if possible.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I agree stacking is not a goo choice...my experience...two gun fights and 30 years wearing a badge. As the article states, the average officer is not a well trained marksman.
    As the article suggests, if only 30% of one's shots makes contact, I want the best bullet to do the job.
    Aceoky likes this.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    This is one of those ideas that is totally lacking in common sense. There is no upside to stacking only a downside; unless you are alternating standard pressure, +p, and +p+ perhaps. But even then you are putting you self in the situation of not being sure how you weapon going to fire. BTW USM1976, were you in ASA?
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    consistency contributes to accuracy. accuracy means more hits on the intended target which translates into better chance of surviving.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Primary reason to avoid: the mere fact it requires a person to now validate several different types of ammo instead of just one. While the gun might well be capable of effectively working with all types, even in alternating sequence, it must be proved in order to know the gun will be equally reliable if stoked that way. Else, a person might well be walking around with a non-functional time bomb and simply not know it.

That said, I'm all for the concept if questions about reliability and consistency can be taken out of the equation. That is, so long as there's a justifiable reason behind having less-than-effective rounds in the mix, rather than the maximally-effective rounds one would normally use throughout.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I've seen a lot of discussion around the subject of "stacking" mags, or alternating the type of rounds in your magazine. In my recent ballistic test videos I've seen a large number of comments from viewers who recommend this practice thinking it gives them an advantage.

I figured it was time to toss my $0.2 into the discussion.

Alternating ammo in your magazine | The Bang Switch

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts, especially if you're a stacker and feel I'm off the mark with my comments.
    I want consistancy when I fire.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That said, I'm all for the concept if questions about reliability and consistency can be taken out of the equation. That is, so long as there's a justifiable reason behind having less-than-effective rounds in the mix, rather than the maximally-effective rounds one would normally use throughout.
    how do ya feel about tracers? same trajectory and everything.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    how do ya feel about tracers? same trajectory and everything.
    So long as "everything" includes reliability and consistency on a par with the "real" rounds? Sure. I feel the same way: test 'em out, be certain, then let 'er rip if it has a justifiable reason. And, IMO aids to accuracy such as tracers have a fully justifiable combat rationale that's hard to ignore.

But for the average defensive carrier, I have a hard time seeing the utility of inserting less-than-effective rounds among my maximally-effective chosen rounds that I have vetted and know work best in a given sidearm. But that's just me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links