Underwood 10mm Auto

This is a discussion on Underwood 10mm Auto within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Purchased a Glock 20 SF sometime back (maybe Feb). Mid-July I finally found some 10mm ammo (SD loads: 20 rounds 165 gr FTX Critical Defense ...

Thread: Underwood 10mm Auto

Underwood 10mm Auto

Purchased a Glock 20 SF sometime back (maybe Feb). Mid-July I finally found some 10mm ammo (SD loads: 20 rounds 165 gr FTX Critical Defense and 20 rounds Winchester Silver Tip 175gr). I was happy to find them because for the first time I owned a firearm but no rounds.

Been looking around for 10mm target ammo with no luck. Considered reloading, and still likely in the future.

Last night purchased Underwood 10mm Auto 180 Grain Total Metal Jacket. First time I've purchased non "factory" ammo. I've heard good things, looking forward to to some range time, FINALLY!
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

SGAmmo has a decent amount of 10mm in stock right now. While I haven't tried it in 10mm, the Prvi Partizan stuff I have used is good stuff, and priced right. Shipping at SGAmmo is very reasonable and quite fast.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Underwood is great ammo. They basically take a factory Gold Dot bullet and amp it up to much faster velocities. Most ammo brands come in UNDER the advertised velocity, Underwood typically comes in right at, or slightly higher than their advertised. I wish I could find some!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Keep an eye out for Georgia Arms Canned Heat availability. I don't have a chrony or anything, but this stuff feels pretty stout compared to some other stuff I've used. I got it so I could have ammo, but more importantly it's all starline brass so a good start for reloading.

I have only tested silvertips, since that is what I could find, but I'm happy with it. Curious to hear how you like the Hornady and Underwood in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    SGAmmo has a decent amount of 10mm in stock right now. While I haven't tried it in 10mm, the Prvi Partizan stuff I have used is good stuff, and priced right. Shipping at SGAmmo is very reasonable and quite fast.
    this weekend I came by ppu 10mm 180 gr jhp at cabelas...ppu might be good in other calibers...but I found it weak in 10mm and the rounds failed to expand...looking forward to the underwood...

I might try ppu again...but never in 10mm...I still have 50 rounds of the stuff and consider it weak target ammo...

thxs for reply though...I just had a luke warm experience with ppu
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Might still be okay just for punching paper. I've heard nothing but good things about Underwood, though. I'm anxious to hear what you think of it once you run some through your gun.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I personally don't own a 10mm, but my friends that do sing nothing but praise about Underwood.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I just shot up a box of 50 Underwoods in .38 Super. Had some fee issues but that may be the mags as opposed to to the ammo. I can say it does the job.

I am looking at perhaps polishing my .38 supers throat to see if that makes any difference

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    this weekend I came by ppu 10mm 180 gr jhp at cabelas...ppu might be good in other calibers...but I found it weak in 10mm and the rounds failed to expand...looking forward to the underwood...
    My experience with PPU in 10mm was terrible as well. It felt weaker than .40 S&W to me.

Try and find some Federal-America Eagle = AE10A 180g FMJ 50-rounds should be in the price range of about 50-rounds for $28.00 to $30.00. My brother in-law uses it to punch paper. Good-luck because 10mm isn't always easy to find. My Brother in-law gets most of his at the LGShows but our Cabela's has it in stock sometimes but not very often. He carries DT or BB 230g WFNGC-HCL when we hunt. He started carrying a g20sf instead of his 44mag last season. His 10mm is a beast but not too bad. He tried some Federal Hydra Shok / P10HS1 180g JHP and it preformed great. Tore up the gel he made almost as well as the DT. But I would only use the FNHCL DT or BB in the woods.

YMWV

I've used Underwood 10mm almost exclusively and have never had any issues with it in my G20SF.

Links