Ammo question

This is a discussion on Ammo question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which is a better defense choice, 380 defense or 38 special standard? I have both and was debating on carry. I know 38 special +p ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Ammo question

Ammo question

Which is a better defense choice, 380 defense or 38 special standard? I have both and was debating on carry. I know 38 special +p is better but have read that 380 beats out 38 standard which sounds hard to believe considering the size of the bullets.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Both (90 gr. v. 158 gr.) are around 200 ft lbs at typical muzzle velocities. I would go with the 158 gr over the 90. But then again I'm partial to the unglamorous, blue-collar and hard workin' .38 Special.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd rather have the heavier bullet. Placed properly, either will do.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'd rather have a 158 gr standard pressure round fired from a revolver than a 90 gr FMJ fired from an auto, but I wouldn't say no to either if I needed to defend myself.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I think its the wrong question. Which gun is better for you to carry, might be a better question.

I agree with everyone else. .38 special Id trust more. And I have a S&W J frame classic that I love. However, its 5 shot. And bigger and heavier than a .380 pocket pistol that has higher capacity. I also own 3 .380s. And while I like the J frame more than the .380s as a better made weapon, I probably use the .380s more often.
    Maybe the correct answer is that each has their place. Or that "mission dictates gear".
    sensei2 likes this.

Another vote for the .38 Special.
    zacii, bmcgilvray and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Put me down for the 38spl camp.
    zacii, Aceoky and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have both and carry one or the other as BUG, I trust both but again placement is the key

I recently bought a s/w 340pd and will probably get the +p but was just curious. My other is a p238.

VIP Member
    They are BOTH pretty close as far as evidenced here; Stopping Power

You are somewhat better served with the heavier bullet giving you better penetration than the lighter .380.

I carry a snubnose with HP 135+P.

You are not too far behind if you choose the .380 with 6 or seven rounds instead.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I do my best to keep a .38 Special revolver handy most days. I do my best to avoid keeping the .380 automatic handy most days.
    zacii likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    I recently bought a s/w 340pd and will probably get the +p but was just curious. My other is a p238.
    The 340 PD is about 3.5 oz lighter than the Airweight. In my airweights I now shoot 158 standards, because I can get back on target easier, the recoil is less than +p, and the 158 standard is fine round. I mention this because the +P out of the 11.5 oz 340 will have a heck of a recoil and you may have trouble getting back on target. So I recommend that you experiment with both.

On the plus side, the 340PD is so light you will forget it's there. I forget about the airweight, and that's is heavier than the PD.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Recoil is another reason for asking about standard 38 special but was hoping it would be better as a defense round than the 380 hydro shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    Recoil is another reason for asking about standard 38 special but was hoping it would be better as a defense round than the 380 hydro shock.
    Well, I would feel more confident with standard .38 Special than I would .380 Hydra Shok, more confident than with .380 "anything else" too for that matter. Between the two cartridges I value bullet weight over expanding bullets or speed.
    Aceoky and oneshot like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Glad to hear most like the 38 special caliber. I liked this revolver so much that I had to have. Haven't got a chance to fire it yet but think I'll start with the 158 standard first and see how it feels.lots of people think the xds45 is bad but to me it is nothing so I am thinking I'll love shooting it as much as holding it. Thanks guys for the input.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links