Rotating your Ammo. Does it expire?

This is a discussion on Rotating your Ammo. Does it expire? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks, I'm still new to the game so forgive me if this sounds weird. My question is, does ammo have a shelf life? I've ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Rotating your Ammo. Does it expire?

Rotating your Ammo. Does it expire?

Hi folks, I'm still new to the game so forgive me if this sounds weird. My question is, does ammo have a shelf life? I've never heard either way, and I know plenty of people who have more ammo than most of my LGS's. The Winchester JHP's currently in my Sig are several years old. Only reason I have them is because they were given to me, and 9mm is still tough to find reasonably priced, and my budget is very tight. Shot about half the box before I started carrying them and all went well, no malfunctions.

Is my concern silly, or justified?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Nope. Keep em dry and don't fiddle with them and they'll last years. Decades. The more you cycle your mags and springs and the more you rechamber a round the more damage you do. Load it and forget about it.

Well, I think most of us rotate out about once a year. I don't know if I would consider it necessary, I just do it every year in March (the date on my permit). If you carry in hot humid climates you could feasibly get sweat on it.

I guess my view is that a box of carry ammo is like $20-30. Not that much when you consider it could be the difference between life and death.
    Ianthin likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I have friends who are shooting ammo they "borrowed" from the Army during the Vietnam War.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Your ammo is fine. I sure hope you have been shooting, maintaining your weapon, and increasing your personal profficiency in the last 2 years.

You didn't clarify one way or another- if you haven't shot in the last 2 years you may as well not bother carrying at all.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    KEEP your powder dry. I've shot some of granddads ammo. no problem, He passed at 98 young.

If you keep it cool and dry, it can last for several decades. I was shooting ammo and eating c-rations in Viet Nam in the 1960s with dates from WWII in the 1940s. Yesterday, I shot six boxes of .357 magnum ammo at the range that I bought in 1992 when Bill Clinton won the election and there was a run on guns and ammo. It has been stored in four different homes in three different states since I purchased it. If it is not corroded, it is probably good. I do not shoot reloaded ammo by someone else unless I have known them for many years and trust their reloading skills.
    Sister and mprp like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

If it has been kept in a proper environment it will be fine. Anyone carrying a gun needs to practice regularly and they also need to do at least a minimum amount of that practice with the ammo they are carrying for SD. The best way to do so is to use up what you've had in the gun for a while and then put new ammo in it. At least for a while, you'll be replacing it with more from the old stash but, as stated earlier, it all should be ok if it has been in a proper environment. The unfortunate part of this plan is that you eventually need more ammo. In today's market, depending on what you want, that can range from expensive to impossible. Happy shooting.

Distinguished Member
    Good question OP, I had wondered the same.

BTW, welcome to the forum
    Ianthin likes this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    If there's no visible damage to the cartridges, they're probably fine.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Be careful shooting anything over 60-70 years old - it might suffer from slightly reduced velocities.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Beings that you're talking about 9mm, (not revolver ammo) I would concern myself more with ammo that has been cycled through the weapon repeatedly than to worry about the age of the ammo. Make sure that you're aware of bullet setback as a result of cycling ammunition in autos. Here's a video from MAC Bullet Setback and Your Defensive Handgun - YouTube
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Everything has a certain shelf life, but it so happens that ammunition has a very very long one.

Yogurt not so much!!!
    NavyAirdale likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Man I wish I had that problem. Seems like the more ammo I get the more I shoot. Just started reloading a couple months ago, and am up to all three calibers I shoot regularly. As soon as I get a comfortable amount of ammo built up it seems its time for a trip to the range. Then the cycle starts all over again lol

I watched a show not long ago called Cold Case Files.The one i was watching happened in the 90's can't remember exact year.Anyway someone was shot and killed and they found the box of bullets,the BG used.The bullets according to them,were manufactured in the 60's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links