ball ammo?

This is a discussion on ball ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; dose anybody carry just plain ol' ball ammo in there EDC.. I know that HPs are standerd but bullets are bullets in my book. thoughts?...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: ball ammo?

Question ball ammo?

dose anybody carry just plain ol' ball ammo in there EDC.. I know that HPs are standerd but bullets are bullets in my book.

thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

No not ever. I shoot a 9mm and FMJ ball ammo would overpentrate and go through almost any medium it hits. Since I am responsible for every shot, I don't want my 9mm round goign through the attacker or wall and keep going down range.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I carry Gold Dot Short Barrel 125gr +P in mine. If I carry a .380 I would just for the sake of it being able to penetrate something.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I have but it was only because that was the ONLY thing I could get at the time. But I don't in normal circumstances for the reasons txron wrote.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Never, I like to be more effective, not less effective when I shoot for defense.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

The only weapon in which I use ball ammo is my .380 I wear to church. Penetration is better for the .380 ball as opposed to JHP. Using ball ammo in 9mm and up is downright dangerous to bystanders in an EDC.
    gottabkiddin, BamaT and cc_ryder like this.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

VIP Member
    .380 gets fmj

Ball ammo in a .45 has been doing the job for over a hundred years now.

LOL, I just thought of Deadguy's statement of carrying 10mm because people are fatter now.

Senior Moderator
    Only for .380 or .32 acp
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

It depends on the caliber. It's worst for 9mm, as it's far less effective and yet very likely to overpenetrate. NYPD used it for a very long time and eventually prevailed upon the leadership to allow "evil" hollowpoint bullets, in part because of a report - from the New York Times, of all places - detailing how many police and innocent bystanders had been hit by 9mm fmj after the round had already passed through a BG.

In .380, it makes more sense, because penetration can be lacking for hollowpoints, but overpenetration is still a potential issue for .380 fmj. For .45 auto, fmj is much more effective than it is for 9mm, but still not nearly as good as hollowpoints.

Those things being said, fmj is a much better choice than no round at all. Personally, I have a .45 that I sometimes carry, for which two of three magazines just don't feed hollowpoint correctly, but they work fine for fmj. So I load those with fmj and consider them my backup magazines, while the primary magazine feeds hollowpoint perfectly and is loaded with hollowpoint. (I'd guess it's because they're ten-round vs eight-round, and the springs are different.) I figure if I get through the first eight rounds and still need more, it's a situation where overpenetration is a lower priority concern, and it may well be because there's a BG shooting from cover.
    Bassindude likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Massad Ayoob covered this extensively in The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry. If "bullets are bullets" than "pistols are just pistols", right? Some just work better than others.

I don't carry FMJ in any of my pistols because:

*They don't stop the bad guy as well.
    *They increase the chance of hitting innocent bystanders.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Except for use in the tiny calibers (.380 and lower), I've never understood the fascination that some folks have with carrying ball ammo for SD- perhaps it comes from a romantic wartime notion, a fantasy, or some other belief.

JHPs offer more tissue destruction per unit of distance traveled than ball and even if it's just a trivial advantage in an event in which my life may hang in the balance, I want it. At worst, if a JHP doesn't expand, it behaves as ball would anyway, so why eschew JHPs for ball ammo? Ultimately, if a pistol won't feed JHPs reliably, it's not a gun I'd want to bet my life on anyway.
    mcp1810, chandler4228 and BamaT like this.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

You should carry hollowpoints in the 9mm, and hope they do what they are designed to do; act like big bullets when they hit tissue, and then hope that they have enough sectional density to give them adequate penetration.

Jeff Cooper had this figured out years ago. He championed the TC lead bullet for the 45 ACP because of the early HP designs failing to open at handgun velocities. It is my opinion that now, to almost guarantee expansion, they open to quickly and give very inconsistent results in living tissue.

Sooo, I follow the Colonel's advice. In 1995, at the NRA Whittington class, he had a 5 inch Government model. This is what he had in the magazine, and this is what I have in mine.

Unfortunately, when this is all you have to work with;(note the little plinker on the left)

You have to resort to everything designers can come up with to make up for the lack.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

.45 = yes...9mm = no. Whether you're using JHP or FMJ, you should be mindful of everything beyond or around your target. Even with loaded JHP, I'd be worried about what lies beyond. I've never been unfortunate enough to be in an SD situation. However, I'm certain that the bad guy will not stay clipped to the cardboard like he does at the range. He might just move.....
    ETXhiker likes this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I use jhp in my edc , But any ammo that makes a hole is better than no hole at all.!

Ayoob also discusses the inadequate penetration characteristics of JHP .380 versus FMJ. He recommends to use ball ammo in the .380 and I trust his opinion.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links