has anyone tried PPU .40 s&w ammo

This is a discussion on has anyone tried PPU .40 s&w ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up 200 rnds of 180 gr jhp from Walmart. And I'm only going to use it for target ammo....

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By yz9890
  • 1 Post By chandler4228
  • 2 Post By missymay
  • 1 Post By yz9890

Thread: has anyone tried PPU .40 s&w ammo

has anyone tried PPU .40 s&w ammo

I just picked up 200 rnds of 180 gr jhp from Walmart. And I'm only going to use it for target ammo.

2. Remove Ads

I've used Prvi in several calibers, including 40, without issue.
    missymay likes this.

I've shot 4 boxes of FMJ and 2 boxes of JHP with no malfunctions. Seems legit.
    missymay likes this.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    I've used Prvi in several calibers, including 40, without issue.
    Great to hear. Thank you

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Good for targets, but will not expand even in water..I've tried many times. It just dents and will pass through all of the jugs and into backstop. Would not recommend for SD unless as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    Good for targets, but will not expand even in water..I've tried many times. It just dents and will pass through all of the jugs and into backstop. Would not recommend for SD unless as a last resort.
    I saw on a you tube video that the bullets wouldn't expand in gel, so I only intended to use it for target practice; thank you for letting me know, though.
    wishyouwell and Aceoky like this.

Saw that stuff in Chinamart the other day. For $18 theres other choices IMHO.

I was able to pick up 3 boxes of the new 9mm Winchester 100 rd bulk boxes for $25 though, so it wasn't a wasted trip.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I've seen it on the shelves, but reluctantly didn't pull the trigger and buy any.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Not in .40 but quite a bit in 10mm and it functions fine but I feel it is a little on the dirty side but not bad

i picked up a box , and i found out they dont expand ! what a waste i guess i will use them for target instead of back up jhp ammo.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

PPU is a Serbian ammo company been around a long time for a lot of c&r shooter they are some of the people who still make half cheep ammo for the old guns like 303..

I would put it in the same cat as say PMC decent mid range target ammo imop.. But I dont shoot 40 so cant not comment on that
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I had 400 rounds of it, all JHP. I carried it for a very short time but mainly used it as a practice ammo since it was cheap. Funtioned perfectly with zero malfunctions, and I found it to be rather clean compared to other import ammo's.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I once tried a box (50) of Wolf, in G21 rental, My hands were quite dirty, afterwards.
    I never got the courage to try PPU, TULAmmo, Brown Bear & some other Serbian stuff after seeing test results of what it does to various AR barrels within 6k rounds.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    I never got the courage to try PPU, TULAmmo, Brown Bear & some other Serbian stuff after seeing test results of what it does to various AR barrels within 6k rounds.
    All of the PPU I've bought is copper jacketed and brass cased (pistol and rifle ammo). It will cause no more wear to a barrel than M193 or WWB etc.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    All of the PPU I've bought is copper jacketed and brass cased (pistol and rifle ammo). It will cause no more wear to a barrel than M193 or WWB etc.
    ^^^ What he said.

PPU is definitely not 'top shelf' ammo, but it's a lot better than any of the steel stuff. I got some in 7.62x51, and it seems to be a little bit 'hotter' than most of the low-buck stuff, too (just an impression - no chrono).
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Links