tula-ammo

This is a discussion on tula-ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read many times on this forum that Tula-ammo is no good but until this week I had not shot any of it. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: tula-ammo

tula-ammo

I have read many times on this forum that Tula-ammo is no good but until this week I had not shot any of it. I found two boxes of steel cased 45's at Academy and decided to try it for myself.
    I took three guns to the range, a Springfield 1911, a Colt government model and a Glock 36. I fired five rounds at a time out of each gun. After the first fifty rounds I was beginning to think that this stuff got a bad rap. Then as I started to fire the next fifty both 1911s started to have jams. The Springfield got so bad that I had to push the slide in after each shot. The Colt would jam or fail to feed almost every other round. Both of these guns have been shot with all kinds of cheap ammo before and never gave a problem. Even used Wolf steel case in them with no trouble. I see now why everybody kicks the Tula-ammo and I won't be buying anymore of it. I must say that the Glock just kept on eating that stuff with never a hic-up. Anyone else have any luck ( good or bad ) with this ammo?

2. Remove Ads

I have shot a lot of .45 Tula ammo and other than it being dirty no problems.
    Brent95 likes this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I've shot tul ammo out of my glock a few times and no problems so far.I've run a good bit of 223 tul ammo thru my AR,no problems,except like OkSlim said,it is a bit dirty.I don't normally clean my firearms everytime i shoot,but i sure try to when i use Tul.
    Dan060 likes this.

I've heard it was dirty ammo but never tried any.I saw some one day in a store,but had no one with me to buy it.I can own a gun,but cant't buy ammo yet,it's just stupid grrr

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Junk Ammo.!!

My experience yours may vary I own a Ruger Mini Thirty and a couple SKS's tried Tula in all great for the SKS platform Mini Thirty not so hot. I now shoot American ammo in the Ruger and Russian in the SKS's.

Would feed well in my old Springfield 1911 or HK USP45, but after a hundred rounds I would start getting the occasional case stuck to the inside of the slide. After hundreds of rounds the 1911 would have a little trouble going into battery.

It was the only ammo my FNX9 would feed reliably. It would double feed on all the standard brass case ammo and all but the best defensive ammo, but would eat that Tula stuff all day.

My G17 loves it. I've fired about 1500 rounds of it and I got one hard primer. The strike looked as centered and as deep as all the steel on the ground. Good enough for me, especially when it's available for 10 bucks a box.
    Brought to you by Carl's Junior.

Russian ammo works flawlessly in Russian guns. Hit or miss in everything else I've found. Requires some experimentation if you want to take advantage of the price point.

Ran 250 rounds through a Springfield champion yesterday not one jam just a little dirty

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Steel case Tula .45 is about all I can afford these days. Shot probably 500 rds of it through my Sig in the last couple of months with no issues. It does require some extra cleanup time, but if I can buy a box for half the better named stuff, I don't mind. Got 2 boxes on the shelf right now that will be no more after some time at my lgr tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Manderinobyebye likes this.

It worked fine in my Glock but after fifty rounds ( really not even fifty because I was splitting it up between the three guns) it would not feed well in my Springfield or my Colt. As I said before I have used other cheap ammo in these guns with no problems, but I think I am through with the Tula unless it is all I can get.

Tula is cheap and dirty but for the most part it runs fine in Glocks. The biggest knock against I've heard is the steel case can be hard on the extractor. So I try to mix brass and steel casings ammo when I shoot.
    The pen may be mightier than the sword, but a .45 caliber sword on the right hip can come in pretty handy sometime.

Like most others I've shot well over 500 rounds of it through my Glock 30 with no issues, other than it being dirty it's not that bad, but I've read plenty of horror stories people have had with it, and since then I quit using it... Just not worth it to me to save a few bucks and then turn around and have it cause issues with my guns...

i have shot alot of tula thru my G23 and it eats it all day. ill buy it if i havto but prefer brass. i have been seeing alot of tula brass now also. shot a few hundred rounds of it thru my bushmaster AR and it ate it up just fine.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Tula and all the other steel case ammo seems to be either a great cost saver or a total nuisance, just depends on who you hear from and what they shoot. My Glocks, Kahr, and AR's eat steel cased ammo up like no other, so for me it works out great. Others don't have the same luck.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links