Does anyone on here carry Remington UMC 115 grain JHP for defense?

This is a discussion on Does anyone on here carry Remington UMC 115 grain JHP for defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to see it often at Wally World and was impressed with its inexpensive price. All the testing I've seen shows the velocity to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Does anyone on here carry Remington UMC 115 grain JHP for defense?

I used to see it often at Wally World and was impressed with its inexpensive price. All the testing I've seen shows the velocity to be on the weak side but the bullet expansion looks good...50 caliber plus.
    So what do you think, group? Is this stuff decent for self-protection or is it "last ditch only" ammo?

2. Remove Ads

Buy a couple of boxes, shootem up and if they funtion well, carry away..... Try not to buy into internet hype and hoopla. If it makes a hole thaqt didnt exist previously, then it is better than nothing. For the most part any modern manufactured ammo should funtion and perform properly and with consistency.
    USM1976 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I have been unimpressed with any 'economy' ammo that Remington/UMC sells; rimfire, CF rifle, pistol or shotgun. The worst offender is the bulk-pack rimfire; the centerfire rifle and pistol ammo (UMC) is dirty and not particularly accurate in my guns (I've tried .38 spl, .45 and 5.56). My disclaimer is that I've only used FMJ in those calibers.

Based on my own experience, I would look for better stuff for defensive ammo.
    Rxdoc likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    I used to see it often at Wally World and was impressed with its inexpensive price. All the testing I've seen shows the velocity to be on the weak side but the bullet expansion looks good...50 caliber plus.
    So what do you think, group? Is this stuff decent for self-protection or is it "last ditch only" ammo?
    THat is some of the dirtiest stuff out there. I'd call it last ditch only.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    THat is some of the dirtiest stuff out there. I'd call it last ditch only.
    I have shot it in both my LCR and my SR40C, and didnt find it that bad. It may have been a little dirtier but not to the point I wouldnt shoot it. It has always gone bang when I pull the trigger.
    USM1976 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Got a box to take to my lgr tomorrow. I've shot plenty of their fmj through both my Sig P250sc and my P95 Ruger. No problems with either. Can't imagine the jhp is much different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    USM1976 likes this.

Nothing in the 115gr class impresses me. IMO, it's too light for the caliber.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

It is a good all around ammo.

-it expands but not as much or as reliably as $1/rd ammo
    -it penetrates good for the weight of the bullet
    -It's not match grade accurate but It's accurate enough
    -It's a little dirty
    -it feeds and fires reliably
    -if you want to practice with what you carry then it is probably the beat economical choice.

My wife likes shooting it out of her SCCY. I prefer a heavier round for penetration, but she doesn't like the recoil of some of the heavier rounds. tests I have seen for it show that it is fires at about 1000fps from a 3" barrel, penetrates about 12" inches and expands to about .5"+ So in conclusion, it is a step down from the top shelf SD ammo but it is far from being "last ditch only" ammo.

....one more thing. This pertains to the green box UMC not the bulk 250rd ammo box.
    Aceoky likes this.

It may not be the best for SD, but technical specs aside, I would not want to be shot with it. If you shoot it well and are comfortable carrying it then do so. Many people carry a much smaller caliber for SD.

VIP Member
    Only have it in FMJ.

Don't care if its a little dirtier.
    Don't care if its only 115 grain.
    Only for putting holes in paper.
    It works.
    Can't tell you nothing about their 115 grn. HP.

I use Critical defense, Winchester bonded PDX 1 124 grn, or Gold Dot 115 GDHP for defense.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

shoot what you feel comfortable with

I personally carry 124+p in my nano but i have always believe if hit your target any jhp will get the job done ( trust your weapon trust yourself)

The 115 hr Remington ammo is shorter on the OAL than Winchester Ranger T and Federal HST. The Remington 115 didn't feed well in my CZ 75 and caused stove pipe jams. It did the same in my Walther P-1. I would not use it for carry ammo or much anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Rem UMC is actually the only ammo I've heard so many experienced shooters ay to stay away from, but many of those were MP5s and such.

I had half a case of UMC .45acp FMJ that served me quite well on the range, maybe a dozen jams during rapid fire.
    My idea is not to use UMC anymore.

I am not very particular about brass range ammo, but for carry or Home Defense, I get VERY particular and will ONLY use 'duty grade' ammo.

Some are:

Hornady +P XTP
    Buffalo Bore (several)
    Corbon Pow'rBall
    Corbon 115 gr +P JHP
    Speer Gold Dot 124 +P GDHP
    Winchester bonded PDX1 124
    Winchester Critical Defense
    Federal Critical Defense
    Win Ranger T-Series
    Hornady Critical Duty
    etc.

I like the lighter bullets with the higher velocities for max ft-lbs energy at POI. I measure at 20 ft
    Most of my sidearms are .45acp so I didn't include the bullet weights.
    Be sure your firearm is rated for +P, before using it.
    I expect close to 500 ft-lbs energy for any self defense round.

For range / practice ammo, I use decent brass case, FMJ in the same bullet weight I use for self defense.
    Range ammo I get by the case to save a few dollars. WWB, Independence, etc.

115 grain AND range ammo quality may produce not as optimal results when you need it most. If you could only squeeze off one shot in time, would you trust a light, bulk ammo round to do the trick or something big, meaty and capable like a Winchester Ranger in 147gr, or a Speer Gold Dot 147gr?

In a life and death situation, the last thing you'd want to cross your mind is "why did I load the Walmart brand!"
    GhostMaker likes this.

Weight and FMJ issues aside, quality control for range ammo is usually far less stringent then for defensive ammo. test intervals, powder measure calibration, visual inspection etc. I've had more then one cartridge travel about 20ft when shooting range ammo. You'll get more squibs, more failed primers, large variations bullet speed, more asymmetrical cartridges etc with range ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links