Reloading NEWBBBB!!!!!!! what do i need

This is a discussion on Reloading NEWBBBB!!!!!!! what do i need within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in reloading for the fun of it. To start a basic bench, what equipment would I need to be safe. I am ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By rockratt
  • 1 Post By TX expat
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: Reloading NEWBBBB!!!!!!! what do i need

I am interested in reloading for the fun of it. To start a basic bench, what equipment would I need to be safe. I am not worried about cranking out rounds, something I can do 20 at a time as a boredom killer. I want to put together a list so I can have an idea of what I need to save up to get started.

Thanks for the help. Also, I want my setup to be able to cover .38 spcl, 9mm. .40 cal, and 45 acp for now.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I should have got into reloading a long time ago, I wonder what it costs to get rolling...

The best thing you could do would be to go to the library. Get a reloading book from Lee, Speer, and/or Hornady. The important thing is to read more than one. Read them all the way through a couple of times and take notes. This way you have a good understanding of what reloading is about. I wouldn't do anything until that is done.

Once that is done you will be able to come back and ask specific questions. For equipment start with a single stage press and start with just one caliber that is low pressure. Once you have loaded and experimented with that one round until you feel comfortable, then start on the other calibers.

Press
    Calipers
    Priming/Depriming Tool
    Scale
    Flip Tray
    Die set for each caliber
    Reloading Manuals (several)
    Bullet Puller

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but the above will do for now.
    onacoma likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I would pick up a copy of "The ABC's of reloading" and a reloading manual as well. There all pretty good but I started with Hornady and it is the one I usually recommended. I have found you can never have to many manual's. Keep adding.
    As far as equipment I bought an RCBS Rock Chucker master kit back in the early 90's and I still use it today. I have added to it over the years but it has served me very well. Don't be afraid . I and many others have had many years of enjoyment and I no longer buy factory ammo(other than 22) and don't have to worry about shortages like the one we have been going thru. Enjoy and let us know how it go's.
    Fisher10 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Press
    Calipers
    Priming/Depriming Tool
    Scale
    Flip Tray
    Die set for each caliber
    Reloading Manuals (several)
    Bullet Puller

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but the above will do for now.
    I'll bet if you still have kids at home you could get the "Bullet Pulling" done for "fair rights and privileges". Who knows, they might find it interesting and stick around for more.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

VIP Member
    I'm a big believer in finding a reloading kit on sale and start with that. RCBS is doing another $50 rebate so if you can find their kit on sale, you'll get almost all the major stuff taken care of in one fell swoop. That advice aside, high pockets list covers the 'must haves' to get started. You'll need some sort of trimming device if you are doing rifle rounds, but his list covers it otherwise.

There'll be a number of things that you'll add on over time, but those will come as you gain more experience and start looking to do specific things differently.

Oh yeah, and as stated, pick up The ABC's of Reloading. Good book.
    rockratt likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Get one of these( Amazon.com: Lee Precision 50th Anniversary Reloading Kit: Sports & Outdoors) it has everything you need as far as Press, Reloading Manual, Powder charger,powder scales,priming tool. then you need powder I use Unique for all those calibers.Powder can run around $20 pound
    Primers, small pistol primers for everything but 45 acp (they are making some 45acp with small primers so it could take small primers)Primers in demand and prices are all over,used to be about .03 each for winchester/federal primers but expect to pay almost double unless you get lucky
    Brass and a brass tumbler with media.
    Set of reloading dies for each caliber,I would get lock rings with set screws that way once you adjust it to the right depth in the single stage press you can lock the ring so when you install and remove it you can screw it back in to the same depth every time
    The 4 die sets have a factory crimp die I started using after years of loading and really like.there is around a $15 to $20 difference in price between the 3 and 4 die sets with 4 die sets running around $55 each
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Lee makes good stuff at an economical price that will get you going. There is better equipment, but it's good for a starter. I would recommend other makers' dies though. As far as brands, most are fine and some obviously more expensive. A reloading manual will give you the basics, but a local mentor is priceless.

A powder dropper will speed up loading, but no all powders meter well, particularly the rifle "stick" powders. Handgun powders are generally finer and more consistent.

I prefer beam scales over electronic; gravity always works and never needs warming up or new batteries. I highly endorse RCBS 505 scales.

Reloading is easy and safe, but procedures need to be followed. Check and double check, especially in the early stages. Reloading tables are a guide, not an absolute. Like TX expat suggested, kits are a good way to get your initial setup. Accessories and upgrades are always available.
    TX expat and StormRhydr like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Case Gauges Case Gauges Did I say Case Gauge!!!!

Case Gauges not only help you with the safety side of things but they will keep you sane!!!!!!!!!!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Get a manual first. It sounds boring, but it is a good read if you are interested. I would look into dies and components first. For me those have been the hardest to find. It is getting a lot better, other than powder. Make a list, from the manuals of what powders work, you will get to experiment with different ones, but knowing what you need when you see it is important. Not all of the powders have info on them. Being prepared when you shop is what I have found to be most helpful. Primer size and powder are the big ones IMO.

Hoping to reload my first round next month, only had my press since Christmas...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Just got into reloading myself, just got setup and been loading about 3 weeks now- its been awesome!! Wish I would have done it sooner, and trust these guys read a manual - trust me, read one now! I made myself finish one before I even set up - it was interesting and I learned a TON, really wished I had already read one or two before I had all the stuff sitting in the basement waiting to be put together.

I had a friend who bought the RCBS rock chucker set up, he highly recommended it, I went on midway and read like 50 reviews and not a single bad review. Got the kit and everything I needed - calipers, digital scale (do like the 505 rcbs beam scale too), tumbler, bullet puller and the dies (just 9mm for now) right under $500.

Now I'm making 100 rnds for $17-19, shooting about as much as I want/can get to the range and the best part is I can't wait to bring the dirty brass home and reload it all over again.
    Last edited by miller_man; September 27th, 2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added more
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Best advice I ever took regarding reloading, was from a guy who is reloading for 58yrs. Start with a single stage press!

Im going to be the odd guy out, on this subject. Most everyone else has said "get a press".

I disagree. Depending on your wallet, and what you want to do, anyway. You do NOT have to have a press to reload. You will almost certainly WANT a press, if you stick with it, but you can start without one.

I started out reloading shotshell at the age of 12. My father bought lee hand loader complete kit (no powder, primers or wads, of course), for 12 & 20 ga. Today you can buy one of the very same sets for $30 or so.

They also make them for pistol & rifle. Below is a link. You can get started with one of those sets. I think an advantage to them is that you can take one of those anywhere, and that could be something to have some day.

Like I said, you will almost certainly want to move on to a press, assuming you like reloading. But you can get started, (safely), this way. I did, and lots of others did, too.

I believe in this advice so much, I took it myself. This year, I got into rifle & pistol reloading. I bought a hornady classic press, lee carbide dies (for both 223 and 9mm), AND bought lee hand loader kits for the calibers I wanted, so as to have both ways to load. Dont get me wrong, the press is the way to go, given a choice, but I like the thought of having the lee kits on hand, too.

Btw, I dont think you can have too many loading manuals on hand. Ebay is a good source for old ones, which sometimes have things in them the new ones dont. For example, in a very old one I found an article about shooting wax 38 spc bullets as a way to train, and save money. The really neat thing was that the author actually gave the directions to make your own wax slugs. you dont load them with gun powder, just primers and the wax slug. In the middle of an ammo shortage, I thought that was something worth considering.

Also, dont be afraid to walk into a dedicated reloading store. I did this year. Later I will order most components, but I needed their help, during the middle of a big shortage, to recommend various components.

LEE LOADERS | Brownells

Links