Buffalo Bore "Heavy" Question

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bore "Heavy" Question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sometime ago I purchased on-line a box of Buffalo Bore Heavy 10mm, when I used it, the amount of smoke from the discharge was extremely ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Buffalo Bore "Heavy" Question

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar

Buffalo Bore "Heavy" Question

Sometime ago I purchased on-line a box of Buffalo Bore Heavy 10mm, when I used it, the amount of smoke from the discharge was extremely high. So much that I could bearly see the target. The range employee came running to stop me from using it thinking I was using some kind of dirty powder reloads. He let me continue after I showed him the box. The gun was actually not dirty after using it.

Is this some kind of flash supressant? Could this have been a bad batch, or is this normal?

I have been hesitant to buy any more since I am not sure if this is normal for this type of ammo. Is the non-heavy different?

2. Remove Ads

It's part of the ingeniously designed smoke screen designed into the cartridge to allow you to move and shoot:)

No seriously, these companies blend different powders to a hieve higher velocities and keep pressure within SAAMI standards. It could be a trade off of that.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

HICKOK45 just did a video of the BB 10mm Hard Cast rounds.

Glock 20 & Glock 29 with Heavy Hard Cast Buffalo Bore bullets - YouTube

It's normal to have that much smoke as you can see while he's shooting.

What type of firearm were you using? Were you testing a "Woods" gun? Hardcast isn't something you want to have in an EDC.
    357and40 likes this.

Administrator
    If you are not happy with a purchase from B.B. - give them a call. They will do something for you to keep you as a satisfied customer.
    GhostMaker and Aceoky like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The shipping costs have kept me from being a satisfied customer, yet. I'll give em a try eventually just feel like it won't be worth it without the 12 box minimum or whatever it is.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Glock 29sf.

Have not tried that particular round from BB, I have shot lots of their product through my snubs an really like the low flash reduced recoil reduced noise .38 .357 rounds. They seem to be really receptive to any input an I am sure would help you achieve your carry goals.
    GhostMaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It's part of the ingeniously designed smoke screen designed into the cartridge to allow you to move and shoot:)

No seriously, these companies blend different powders to a hieve higher velocities and keep pressure within SAAMI standards. It could be a trade off of that.
    That's probably the reason...been using Buffalo Bore's warmed over colt 45 loads and they don't kick anymore than the cheap cowboy loads. I'm impressed the velocity BB gets without trashing your gun and hands. I never have really noticed excess smoke though. Next time I'll pay attention to that.

Some of the smoke is actually vaporized lead and bullet lube.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

40Bob got it. Especially the bullet lube. That's just part of the deal when shooting cast lead bullets, more smoke from the lubes. Some may smoke less than others. I never felt concerned about it enough to investigate though. When handloading and using cast bullets I just view the smoke as economy wafting in the breeze. Of course, at the prices charged for Buffalo Bore ammunition, one can't view things that way. Still, one is benefiting from a good, heavy load provided by the company.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Just the between 4.7 grains of powder and a 1/2 lb.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I figure that's what it was.

I don't have a problem with it, in fact I Am fixing to order some more 10mm and some in .357 mag.

Smoke is most likely the lube being burned by the high flame temperature of the powder they use. In order for the lead to vaporize, it would have to have temperatures exceeding 800 degrees. Using a slow powder like BB does to get the higher velocity, it's doubtful that is the case as you would also have severe leading. They are using a lube that is not tolerant to the temperatures in the bore.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    I shot 3 or 4 of those rnds last week and thought they were a
    bit smoky; though as stated the revolver did not seem dirty.

I actually bought the ammo so I could carry the 610 in the woods and seems the ammo shoots well enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    Glock 29sf.
    If you're going to load up BB Hardcast lead rounds, you'll want to get an after market barrel for your 29sf. As per Glock they don't want you to shoot lead rounds in the stock barrels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links