Superior 9mm defensive ammo for Glock 26?

This is a discussion on Superior 9mm defensive ammo for Glock 26? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had been pretty sold on Glock 33 in .357 SIG... but. I got to see a gen 4 Glock 26 today, and it was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Superior 9mm defensive ammo for Glock 26?

Superior 9mm defensive ammo for Glock 26?

I had been pretty sold on Glock 33 in .357 SIG... but.

I got to see a gen 4 Glock 26 today, and it was darn sexy.

I had also been reading about how advanced 9 mm bullet/round technology has progressed recently. Practice ammo is about 65% the price of .45 ACP 230 gr FMJ.

My girlfriend fired a 9mm this weekend and she loved it. It's the first centerfire pistol caliber she's enjoyed shooting (she has always loved coming to the range with me and renting the Ruger MKIII), and she grouped very well with it (it was a full size Springfield 1911 chambered in 9 mm, so no recoil basically). It has opened her up to the idea of owning a 9 mm.

So, I'm sure this has been hashed over and over, but what would a superior self defense load be for someone who wants a Glock 26 9 mm as a primary EDC?

The Hornady critical duty 135 gr looks pretty impressive, 13.75" through glass?

2. Remove Ads

I have a Gen 4 Glock 26 as my EDC and I alternate between Federal HST 124g +p, Federal HST 147g +p, and Speer Gold Dot 124g +p.

These loads are a little pricey ($0.70-$1.00/round) depending on where you obtain them, but I feel they are every bit worth it.
    103FLHX likes this.

I have 9mm automatics but scarcely ever choose them for personal defense. If I did I'd select from one of the 147 grain offerings that are available these days. I keep a couple of older boxes of Winchester Black Talon 147 grain on hand. I've read (here on Defensive Carry and elsewhere) that the 147 grain 9mm bullet is improved over what was offered 20 years ago.

I like bullet weight and the 147 grain 9mm loads provide it. The load chrongraphs in the 950 fps range from a 4-inch barrel when I've tested it. This duplicates the factory .38 Special +P 158 grain lead SWC loadings very well. It is also the only 9mm load I've ever seen that will swat my swinging target discs hard enough to flip them completely over one time, same as what the +P .38 Special will do. No other 9mm load, factory or handload, that I've tried does any more than set the discs to swinging.

Now I know that isn't a tremendously good gauge of 9mm load effectiveness but, in my view, neither are ballistic gelatin tests and I don't place nearly as much stock in the true effectiveness of the usual run of "expando-matic" bullets as most do. I don't care if I have scalding velocity and the last foot-per-second. I don't care what sort of back-flips the bullet is suppose to do for its terminal ballistics performance. I want bullet weight for personal defense handguns and I will have bullet weight.

The homemade "spinning quail" targets. Our son is abusing them with a .41 Magnum revolver, a round which sets them to spinning like a revved up propeller.
    glockman10mm and Aceoky like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Another vote for Speer Gold Dot 124g +p. I also have a box of Hornaday self defense loads. Of course I practice with the cheap stuff. I figure when the SHTF I won't notice the difference given the adrenalin. I go through a couple boxes a week.

PS, I understand the draw. I just bought my wife a glock 26 and I'm considering whether you just adopt her 19 or get my own 26. Still a very close call.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisATX View Post
    I had been pretty sold on Glock 33 in .357 SIG... but.

I got to see a gen 4 Glock 26 today, and it was darn sexy.

I had also been reading about how advanced 9 mm bullet/round technology has progressed recently. Practice ammo is about 65% the price of .45 ACP 230 gr FMJ.

My girlfriend fired a 9mm this weekend and she loved it. It's the first centerfire pistol caliber she's enjoyed shooting (she has always loved coming to the range with me and renting the Ruger MKIII), and she grouped very well with it (it was a full size Springfield 1911 chambered in 9 mm, so no recoil basically). It has opened her up to the idea of owning a 9 mm.

So, I'm sure this has been hashed over and over, but what would a superior self defense load be for someone who wants a Glock 26 9 mm as a primary EDC?

The Hornady critical duty 135 gr looks pretty impressive, 13.75" through glass?
    Check this out pretty impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3XNWU8xaxk

Go Seahawks!

I like to use Buffalo Bore 124 grain +p jhp, they are readily available off there web site even when there was a shortage they had them.
    Gun control, the ability to hit your target

Just about any 147gr JHP will give you plenty of defense against Billy badazz. You can go with the +p stuff if you want, but it's not needed.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Corbon DPX is amazing

I did my own backyard testing and it penetrated a bit farther and expanded a little more that the others
    in wetpack
    TVJ likes this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I carry Speer 124 gr +P for short barrels in my G26. It runs well through the G26 and I honestly can't tell much difference in felt recoil between the +P and regular 115 gr WWB. though I haven't run many +P rounds through mine due to cost and the ammo shortage, but I can't say enough about how well this pistol shoots. Very comfortable and controlled with little recoil for such a small pistol. Combine that with the fact that you have 10+1 rounds at the ready and it's an amazing carry piece.

I think it would be an excellent pistol for your girlfriend. Of course it is a Glock, so make sure it will fit into her style of carry if she is looking to carry it. She doesn't want to drop it in her purse with a round chambered and no holster and not everyone finds them comfortable for IWB.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Any premium brand heavy-for-caliber load will do fine.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I keep critical duty 135+p, Pdx1 124gr +p, gold dot 124gr +p and Ranger t-147gr on hand for my 9mm. If I ever see any federal HST's I will pick those up as well. the HST 147 standard and +p look interesting. I have no problem with modern 147gr defensive ammo, it's just that majority of the stuff on the shelves are 124+p in my area.

Ya got sidetracked right from the git-go.

The words " superior" and "9mm" don't belong in the same sentence.
    maxwell97, Aceoky and ChrisATX like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I carry 147 grain HST, when I carry a 9mm.

I've never shot anybody, so I cannot comment on the performance.

Remember that when others tell you what to carry.
    Aceoky and bmcgilvray like this.

124gr+P GDHP has always done well by me. What I carry in my 9mms. 9mm is still 9mm no matter how you slice it. The G27 is just as "sexy" as the G26 and you can buy an extra 357SIG barrel for $150 for the best of both worlds. To me, the recoil of the G26 is the same as with the G27 Heck....it's a sub-compact. Not getting into a caliber war here, but for the same recoil, I'd rather go up a caliber and down on capacity. The 357SIG is an attractive round. I've gone part time with my G27 carrying as G33 with barrel swap. My results at the range have been favorable for the swap. As far as lethality, I've got some input from LEO that suggest that the 357SIG cartridge may not be all it's cracked up to be. For me it's the FPS out of a sub compact that makes it attractive. Luckily, I've never had to put any of my calibers, carry pistols, etc to the ultimate test.
    maxwell97 and glockman10mm like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links