Hornady Critical Duty - M&P Shield 9MM

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Duty - M&P Shield 9MM within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First and foremost, I have been browsing this forum for a few months now and have enjoyed it immensely. Seems like a great group of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Duty - M&P Shield 9MM

Exclamation Hornady Critical Duty - M&P Shield 9MM

First and foremost, I have been browsing this forum for a few months now and have enjoyed it immensely. Seems like a great group of people with a lot of knowledge and experience. I finally got a kick in my pants to join the site based on a recent range experience that I thought I would share.

I have always carried 124 GR (standard pressure) Speer Gold Dots in my 9MM concealed carry guns without any issues. Due to ammo shortages in recent months, I have been forced to try alternative brands. Most recently, my local gun store had 135 GR Hornady Critical Duty in stock. I had read some fairly decent reviews on this ammunition so I thought I would give it a try.

I ran a box through my M&P Shield with the Apex carry kit (sear, striker block, spring) and did not have any issues so I bought a second box to use for carry purposes. I carried it for about a month and decided to cycle it again at the range yesterday. To my surprise, I had 4 FTFs from a single box in which the firing pin made perfect contact with the primer. This was very concerning since I had been carrying this ammo for the past month and had trusted my life with it.

Has anyone else had problems with 135 GR Hornady Critical Duty? Is it possible it is specific to Shields?

2. Remove Ads

I carried critical duty in my G22 and had no problems. I would contact hornady and ask for a replacement box
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

The Hornady ammo to me is a cheaper low recoiling ammo that is hyped by people that hasn't really done their home work. I don't carry anything that LE won't carry. I have never seen Hornady test to the specs on their pretty box.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    The Hornady ammo to me is a cheaper low recoiling ammo that is hyped by people that hasn't really done their home work. I don't carry anything that LE won't carry. I have never seen Hornady test to the specs on their pretty box.
    That's not a glowing recommendation.....to use only what LE carry. Most departments are stretched by funds and are often on low bid! I do my own tests before I defend my life with any ammo and not on the recommendation of anyone! I don't drive a Crown Vic but most LEO's do......
    sensei2 and TailRunner like this.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I have been using Critical Duty since it has come out. I have yet to have a hiccup with any of the ammo out of my XD 9mm.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

you didn't say if you fired any other brands or types of ammunition during the same range session. if you didn't, i would try shooting some other ammo to see if the problem occurs with anything other than Critical Duty. i wouldn't rely solely on the visual examination of the primer strikes.

if everything else works perfectly, then i would follow Taurahe's advice and contact Hornady. they may want the remaining rounds back for examination, and i would expect them to replace your old box with a new one.

I have had good luck with hornady , i started using them on advise of CZ armorer at CZ Custom they said its their favorite round out of the CZ 75 P01 147 gr XST. For revolvers I am sticking with Buffalo Bore, their 158 gr soft cast LSWHP .38. In my .357 I use the 125 gr JHP out of a short barrel still gets 1225 fps

I thought about this round for my shield also, but I ended up going with the hornady 9mm 147gr xtp. I figured with the short barrel I would be better off with more weight in a standard pressure round, and to be honest the gun shoots them quite well. For my SP101 its 125gr 357mag Critical Defense. I've never had a problem with any of them but that's not to say it doesn't happen, if you give them a chance I'm sure they'll make it right
    G

GH
    I normally carry HST or Gold Dots in my M&P 40C. A few weeks ago I came across a box of Critical Duty because it was the last box of .40 cal anything. I only shot a few rounds because at a buck apiece it's a little too rich for me. They seemed to shoot okay in my brand new 40C & seemed to shoot as well as HST, GD & practice ammo. I can't say I shot enough of it to trust my life with it in the 40C.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I've carried it in my Solo and G26 and have never had a failure. Recently switched to GD short barrel 124 +P just for the Solo. No particular reason, just wanted to try it.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    There is a reason everyone is sold out of Gold Sot, but have CD on the shelf. If you are carrying a short barrel pistol, I strongly recommend looking into the advantage of a larger mass bullet. You will get better performance from 147gr out of your Shield.

In stock now:
    Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammo 9mm Luger +P 124 Gr. GDHP-SB-420323 - Gander Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    you didn't say if you fired any other brands or types of ammunition during the same range session. if you didn't, i would try shooting some other ammo to see if the problem occurs with anything other than Critical Duty. i wouldn't rely solely on the visual examination of the primer strikes.

if everything else works perfectly, then i would follow Taurahe's advice and contact Hornady. they may want the remaining rounds back for examination, and i would expect them to replace your old box with a new one.
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I ran two boxes of 115 GR PMC Bronze FMJs through it before the Hornadys and a box of Gold Dots after without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    There is a reason everyone is sold out of Gold Sot, but have CD on the shelf. If you are carrying a short barrel pistol, I strongly recommend looking into the advantage of a larger mass bullet. You will get better performance from 147gr out of your Shield.

In stock now:
    Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammo 9mm Luger +P 124 Gr. GDHP-SB-420323 - Gander Mountain
    Awesome find! I've never really been a fan of +P out of a short barrel, but I will definitely order a few boxes of standard pressure. Do you have any experience with the "short barrel" ammo? Can you tell a difference or is it just hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai_Joe View Post
    Awesome find! I've never really been a fan of +P out of a short barrel, but I will definitely order a few boxes of standard pressure. Do you have any experience with the "short barrel" ammo? Can you tell a difference or is it just hype?
    Visit a YouTube pocketgunsandgear. He tests lot of ammo out of small barrel length guns. What you will see
    1. +p makes little difference
    2. The gold dot 9mm load listed for short barrels is faster than the "regular"

The channel helped me pick a round to carry in my XDs

Go Seahawks!
    F350_6 likes this.

Hornady Critical Duty - M&P Shield 9MM

Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    That's not a glowing recommendation.....to use only what LE carry. Most departments are stretched by funds and are often on low bid! I do my own tests before I defend my life with any ammo and not on the recommendation of anyone! I don't drive a Crown Vic but most LEO's do......
    Well here is a glowing recommendation for you. LE agencies use the following cheap junk as you call it.
    Federal HST
    Speer Gold Dot
    Winchester Ranger
    Remington Golden Saber
    Corbon

None of them use Hornady hand gun ammo and the ones that used the rifle ammo quit after an FBI report that it failed in two different weight bullets in a PA LE shoot out. The BG was shot 17 times with 11 shots exiting his body and even though he died later he had to be hand cuffed to be taken into custody.
    I drive a Charger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links