Aguila IQ 9mm & 45acp and the Double Tap Defense derringer

This is a discussion on Aguila IQ 9mm & 45acp and the Double Tap Defense derringer within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking these would be like kicking rounds being 68 & 117 grains respectively. does anyone have any experience shooting these? I have the ammo ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cuda66

Thread: Aguila IQ 9mm & 45acp and the Double Tap Defense derringer

Aguila IQ 9mm & 45acp and the Double Tap Defense derringer

I'm thinking these would be like kicking rounds being 68 & 117 grains respectively. does anyone have any experience shooting these? I have the ammo and a gun in each caliber just thought I would check before I started using it.

2. Remove Ads

I think there's a reason Aquila doesn't make them anymore.

Personally, in that short of a barrel, is use the heaviest FMJ I could get.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

As a fellow DT45 owner I know your motivation. HST 230 grain was indeed punishing. Perhaps just a once in my lifetime proposition. I'm leaning toward 185 grain loads, but still have some work to do on testing.

I think the most difficult part of picking ammo will be which ones will drop free without having to poke them out with a cleaning rod.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Those rounds were tested and they are crap.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

I have 200 rounds of the 9mm Aguila IQ and have shot maybe another 100 rounds , I ran a 5 or 6 rounds thru my crony and they are fast 1665 fps 4" barrel XD.
    I also shot some in water jugs and they break up into 4 pieces and just blow the first jug up like it was shot with a rifle.

If I were to limit myself to just two rounds of either .45 or 9mm (and I wouldn't) I would want the hardest hitting stuff I could find.

That being said, I find that the heavier 230gr .45ACP loadings (for me) tend to feel like more of a push and less "snappy" than the 185gr .45ACP offerings.

If you ever have to use your DoubleTap in a defensive situation take the extra second to aim very carefully. As we just saw in Houston, there may be more than one attacker and you absolutely must make every shot count.

thank you all for your thoughtfull replies. I imagine I will shoot this once and carry offten as a backup to my glock 32/31's

Quote Originally Posted by k_rasmussen View Post
    thank you all for your thoughtfull replies. I imagine I will shoot this once and carry offten as a backup to my glock 32/31's
    Well, that's your call; personally, anything I'm going to carry with the possibility of being used to save my neck will be shot a lot more than once.

But, I may just be funny that way.

YMMV.
    10thmtn likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    As a fellow DT45 owner I know your motivation. HST 230 grain was indeed punishing. Perhaps just a once in my lifetime proposition. I'm leaning toward 185 grain loads, but still have some work to do on testing.

I think the most difficult part of picking ammo will be which ones will drop free without having to poke them out with a cleaning rod.
    I await your tests, but I have my doubts about many JHPs expanding when fired from such short barrels. Then there is the issue of penetration.

You are probably better off with FMJ in this gun.

You are probably a whole lot better off with almost any other gun. Like a 7 shot .380 or 5 shot .38 or...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I await your tests, but I have my doubts about many JHPs expanding when fired from such short barrels. Then there is the issue of penetration.

You are probably better off with FMJ in this gun.

You are probably a whole lot better off with almost any other gun. Like a 7 shot .380 or 5 shot .38 or...
    Actually, HST 230 Grain standard pressure did well. 2 bare gel shots expanded and the 4 layer heavy denim did not.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I don't know how they would perform in a short barrel, but I fired one round of .45 into a bucket of wet newspaper using a 1911 and it blasted bits ofnewsprint all over the walls, cracked the bucket, and steam was visible from the bucket after the shot . It was the most impresive damage I bad ever seen inflicted on newspaper, but what it means in a human target I have no idea.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have never shot those rounds, but was offered a chance to fire a doubletap .45, but after seeing multiple people fire it twice and hand it off, i politely declined. If I had such a hell on wheels gun, I would prob be inclined to work up a less punishing hand load for it using lead bullets as opposed to shooting the full strength stuff. For me it would be a in your face gun so maximum velocity is not critical, and the softer lead will expand more readily at lower velocities than a JHP, or at least I would assume.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I don't know how they would perform in a short barrel, but I fired one round of .45 into a bucket of wet newspaper using a 1911 and it blasted bits ofnewsprint all over the walls, cracked the bucket, and steam was visible from the bucket after the shot . It was the most impresive damage I bad ever seen inflicted on newspaper, but what it means in a human target I have no idea.
    I will keep this post in mind if my rain-filled paper recycling bin ever gives me a threatening look.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    Actually, HST 230 Grain standard pressure did well. 2 bare gel shots expanded and the 4 layer heavy denim did not.
    Read your updated review on your blog...ouch! When your hand stops hurting, get yourself a LCR or a J frame and call it a day.

Hope they refund your money, too.

The idea that the second primer getting hit when firing the first shot is "normal" is just insanity to me!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Links