Rangers?

Rangers?

This is a discussion on Rangers? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have not decided on a defense round yet. I currently have WWBs in my G26 and XD-40. I plan to try the premium offerings ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers?

Rangers?

I have not decided on a defense round yet. I currently have WWBs in my G26 and XD-40. I plan to try the premium offerings from the big brands like Black Hills, Remington, Speer, Hornaday, and Winchester. The brand that is most accurate in my gun will probably be my choice.

My question is this,

I hear alot of positive talk here about the Winchester RangerSTX. I would like to try it out for accuracy, but I can not find it. The Winchester site says it is for Law Enforcement only.

Are all of the proponents of Ranger here Law Enforcement? Or is there a way for Joe public to acquire this ammo?

Dauff

You can obtain the Ranger T ammo. For LE only is a Winchester policy and not a law.

You can get it several places. I have purchased from the first source but not the second.

http://mahsupplies.net/

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=17207

I carry the winchester ranger sxt 180gr. Get them at a gun store. cdnn was selling them. Their ad showed.

155gr 1195 fps / 491 ft/lb
    180gr 1015 fps / 411 ft/lb

I carry the 180 grain. I like them. google Talon, ranger, ranger sxt for more info. I have read that winchester has SXT to mean Same Exact Thing (regarding Talon).

the ranger may be there LE only name but they make a supreme t series that comes up when you do a search on there web site

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    getting ready for carry in kansas. I have been reading tons of articles about everything about concealed carry. I have been shooting for a good many years, but never had reason for JHP till now. I tried out many different types of JHP for my 9mm and 380. I bought some ranger ammo last month at a gun show in topeka. I like it! i sat down and wrote down ballistics on about 8 or 9 rounds for each caliber. they are all pretty close. i have ordered from mahsupplies. if you gonna get some, just make sure it is the 50 rd tan box and not the smaller box. FWIW

VIP Member
    Welcome Dauff....Ranger T's are great. They and Double Tap Ammo are amoung the top of the ammo heap IMHO.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by dauff View Post
    I have not decided on a defense round yet. I currently have WWBs in my G26 and XD-40. I plan to try the premium offerings from the big brands like Black Hills, Remington, Speer, Hornaday, and Winchester. The brand that is most accurate in my gun will probably be my choice.

My question is this,

I hear alot of positive talk here about the Winchester RangerSTX. I would like to try it out for accuracy, but I can not find it. The Winchester site says it is for Law Enforcement only.

Are all of the proponents of Ranger here Law Enforcement? Or is there a way for Joe public to acquire this ammo?

Dauff
    I too have an XD-40. The sxt is the only rounds I carry in it. Never had a problem with them. I picked up 4 boxes a couple months ago at the gun show for only 15.00 a box. Most time I can find them at the gun shop for about 25.00 a box. Great round to shoot.

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I don't know if yor familiar with sportsman's Guide, but I recently received one of their catalogs and they were selling Ranger .40 cal ammo pretty cheap.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Not to hi-jack my own thread but...

Is there any science as to weather I should use heavy or light bullets in a long barrel (5in XD-40) or vice versa in a short barrel Glock 26?

Or should I stick to my "what ever big brand shoots best in that gun" theory?

Dauff

Welcome aboard! My advice would be to carry any Ranger SXT, CorBon or Gold Dot HP round (115-127grn) that is reliable and accurate in your particular guns.

Shot placement is far more critical than terminal performance because all handgun rounds are miserable "stoppers".

Having said that, my Glocks are loaded with Winchester RA9TA 127 Gr +P+.

Just remember that Ranger SXT is not the same as Ranger T. The latter is the marketed LE Ammunition. I carry Ranger T in my Kimber.
    For information on getting your CCW License in California please visit CalCCW.

Winchester Ranger Ammo

I carry the complete line of Winchester Ranger T-Series ammo. All ammo is brand new, not LE trade ins. If interested in pricing, please contact me at jwkpatrick@yahoo.com.

Thanks, Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    My advice would be to carry any ... that is reliable and accurate in your particular guns. Shot placement is far more critical than terminal performance because all handgun rounds are miserable "stoppers".
    Yup. The "best" choice is ammo that works in your gun flawlessly, allows you to best manage the encounter (in terms of recoil, blast, etc). Can't stop what you can't hit ... hence, 500 ft-lbs won't do you any good if you're spraying it all over the place once a battle begins. Haven't tried the Rangers yet.

For me, I've chosen the Federal Hydra-shok Tactical 124gr +P+, which hits fairly hard and is dead-solid reliable in my pistols. Have tried the DoubleTap 115/124/148gr options, but they're a bit stout for daily carry (I think), from the standpoint of allowing good follow-up shots. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by 5532JWK View Post
    I carry the complete line of Winchester Ranger T-Series ammo. All ammo is brand new, not LE trade ins. If interested in pricing, please contact me at jwkpatrick@yahoo.com.

Thanks, Jerry.
    Welcome aboard, Jerry! FWIW, I have purchased ammo and parts from this guy on several occasions, and he is a super guy to do business with. Everything I've ever ordered was in stock, exactly as described and promptly shipped. He's a stand up guy! (In fact, the RA9TA in the Glock I'm wearing came from him.)

Quote Originally Posted by dauff View Post
    Not to hi-jack my own thread but...

Dauff
    Ok, not to further hijack your thread, but....Since this thread is about Rangers maybe it's OK. I have a cheaper than dirt catalog that has .40 cal 180 gr. Win. Rangers for 14.97 for a box of 50. They are advertised as subsonic, law enforcement ammo. With the speed of sound at a relatively close 760 fps, would these be good defense loads???
    Last edited by sgtD; December 3rd, 2006 at 02:43 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links