Recommended Loads for Ruger Security Six 2 CCW

This is a discussion on Recommended Loads for Ruger Security Six 2 CCW within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im looking for some advice on ammo. For various reasons, Im going to try and start CCing my Ruger Security Six 2 357 mag. ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By pgrass101

Thread: Recommended Loads for Ruger Security Six 2 CCW

Im looking for some advice on ammo. For various reasons, Im going to try and start CCing my Ruger Security Six 2 357 mag. My regulars up to now have been XCSC 40, Keltec PF9, and my Taurus TCP. Probably still keep the TCP in the pocket. Of course this will depend on finding a good holster which is proving difficult. The loads that I used to shoot were 125 gr semi jacketed hollow point and were pretty hot and I had a fireball every time I fired it. Im looking for two loads now. One for everyday CC and one for hiking and knocking around in the woods. I want a good self-defense load but Im looking for something without the big fireball and a little less kick than a full load 357.

Senior Moderator
    I would use a .38 spl +p 158gr SWCHP or Golddot .38spl +P short barrel for CC

For walking around in woods I would carry 158gr .357 magnum
    Cuda66, wmhawth, TX expat and 2 others like this.
    You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'll concur with the above, 100%.

And make it a 158gr SWC in the woods.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Corbon DPX is a mid level load and performs very well.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

^^^this^^^
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

^YEP^^^^^^^^^

Definitely the 135 gr. Gold Dot +P short barrel for defense.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    I’m looking for some advice on ammo. For various reasons, I’m going to try and start CC’ing my Ruger Security Six 2 ” 357 mag. My regulars up to now have been XCSC 40, Keltec PF9, and my Taurus TCP. Probably still keep the TCP in the pocket. Of course this will depend on finding a good holster which is proving difficult. The loads that I used to shoot were 125 gr semi jacketed hollow point and were pretty hot and I had a fireball every time I fired it. I’m looking for two loads now. One for everyday CC and one for hiking and knocking around in the woods. I want a good self-defense load but I’m looking for something without the big fireball and a little less kick than a full load 357.
    Sweet! I recently acquired a blued Ruger Security Six with a 2 3/4" barrel as well. I'm carrying Remington .38spcl in it right now (only because ammo is so hard to find round here). I hear that Buffallo Bore makes a low flash and recoil .357 specifically for short barreled revolvers. Haven't tried them yet, but I will as soon as I get the funds. Also, Galco makes a holster that fits pretty well, I'll have to get the model # when I get home.
    Common Sense...it ain't so common.

Thanks for all the advice. I also saw the low flash Buffalo Bore and was going to research it as well. I don't want to sacrifice low flash and recoil for performance though.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I am also searching for a good holster for the same gun. The info I have found indicates that holsters for any S&W K fram model should fit the Security-Six as well.

I haven't been able to find ANY self-defense ammo in .357 all summer long, but for the woods, I will also support the SWC. And a self-defense round specifically for short-barreled revolvers would be best.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I am also searching for a good holster for the same gun. The info I have found indicates that holsters for any S&W K fram model should fit the Security-Six as well.

I haven't been able to find ANY self-defense ammo in .357 all summer long, but for the woods, I will also support the SWC. And a self-defense round specifically for short-barreled revolvers would be best.
    There's nothing wrong wit a SWC for self defense; and it doesn't have to be a magic formula short barrel load, either...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Links