The Demise of .40S&W ?

The Demise of .40S&W ?

This is a discussion on The Demise of .40S&W ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not posting to create a caliber war. Serious question that would affect future purchase. I carry a Ruger SR40C (my first firearm). Before I purchased ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: The Demise of .40S&W ?

The Demise of .40S&W ?

Not posting to create a caliber war. Serious question that would affect future purchase. I carry a Ruger SR40C (my first firearm). Before I purchased it last Nov 2012 I did shoot both the SR40C & SR9C (also shot my buddy's LC9 & Charter .38). I keep reading about how many big name firearms experts are switching over to 9mm. Then i read that Baltimore County Sheriffs dept is making a large purchase of FNS40 (long slide). I have this urge for a decent DA/SA in .40 FNX & P4Storm (I truly believe the FNX is the better buy.) But I am retired and have limited extra cash. The extra money to be spent on two different ammos would be too much for my finances. I have been able to find decent target ammo and somewhat fair SD ammo in .40.
    9mm is still hard to acquire by me. Though a friend in Atascocita, TX said they had some Tulammo in 9mm at his Wal mart , but not really a bargain.

REMEMBER this not about which ammo is better..... just your opinion if in 5-10 years do you think it will fall off the gun store shelves (Natural Selection)
    Cred's Cariad likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Wow. Tough question, in my opinion. I've been vested and divested of the 40 three times so far. Not because I have issues with the caliber, I do not. I've done so because I didn't like the particular sidearm and/or because I'm a 45 lunatic. My last 40 was a Shield and the ergonomics helped the muzzle flip tremendously. The 40 cal. is something to be reckoned with from a ballistics perspective to be sure. Will it disappear? I don't know but there's a lot of LEO's that carry it. If you reload, there's a lot of brass out there. It's not imaginable to me that a caliber with that capability would ever fade away. But that's me.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Love my .40 smith, have found bunches of ammo here on the Carolina Coast. Do not own a 9mm but the local Bass Pro hardly ever gets any 9mm & 380 in according to my friends. I've shot a 9 but I like a .40 better. I see that svgheartland is also in the Carolinas so maybe the 40 is more plentiful on this side of the country???

I'd shoot what you like and can find ammo for.

Get one of each, why not?! Is there such a thing as too many guns or too much ammo?
    Aceoky and Eric357 like this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

My Glock 23 (.40) is sweet. It was a little snappy, so I slapped a TLR-1 rail light on and it is awesome! It's not my EDC though, too big.
    southernwi likes this.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

I think the 40 will be around for a long time. As sig heartland stated, still a lot of it out there in the LEO world. I think it may still be the number one LEO round. 40 is also the absolute easiest round for me to find where I live, it it literally everywhere. But as many have said, buy the biggest caliber you can or will fire the most accurately. 9mm is very hard to find around here.
    missymay and Pawatch like this.

VIP Member
    I think that the .40 will be around maybe just not as popular.

The .40 filled a void for a long time. High capacity, bigger bullet and so on but now you have 9mm rounds in the 147 grain range and .45 ACP in the 160 range so there is no telling. Yep some LE agencies are switching to something other than .40's but who knows if it will start a new trend.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member
    I find this interesting. Are you thinking there will be no more 40 available?

Calibers are different since the black powder days. One would think if you had a.50 you wouldn't need a .58 solid lead ball but there are still both calibers made in black powder.

There were many people that were sure the .38 was a finished caliber look what happened.

When I shoot deer I compare the ballistics and shoot what I shoot best in my rifle. I have found ballistics is only part of a package. Performance is the other. I have loaded and shot different bullets made by different manufacturers and the ballistics were identical the performance was anything but identical.

There are people that will tell you this that and the other it is up to you to believe them or not. Buy what you like and shoot well, if ammunition is a problem reload.

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    The number of .40 caliber pistols made in the last 20 years or so would boggle your mind. Ammo will be easily available for decades, probably until guns are made obsolete or illegal. .30-30 may not be a top chambering now, but thanks to all those 94s and 336s, ammo is avaialbe at allmost every Walmart, Sporting Goods Store or Gunshop.

In the same vein, but to a lesser extent, the 45-70 is still around and posses were shooting them at Bonnie & Clyde:p

Sent from my XT907
    Take the long way home...

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I have read several articles where different law enforcement agencies were switching to the 9mm. It was stated the personnel, as a whole, had difficulty qualifying with the .40 in lighter weight firearms. After going to the 9mm, in a similar firearm, personnel had much better scores.

The only choice that the departments had was to go to a heavier, more expensive standard issue firearm, or go to a lighter, less recoiling load in the same, less costly gun.

This is causing quite an uproar with the .40 following. The .40 is a good cartridge, so is the 10MM. Look what happened to the 10MM when the FBI dropped it. The 10MM was being used in a heavier firearm and, still, the personnel had difficulty with it.

It's not the cartridge. It's the cartridge/firearm package. Although the 10MM has declined in popularity it still has quite a following. The .40 may also decline in popularity but, is not going away anytime soon.
    Eric357 likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

VIP Member
    Go away? No.

Not as popular? Maybe, but I doubt it. Like others have said, too many LE agencies use it and it is and has been a popular caliber for some years now.

No issues finding ammo for one around here lately.

I'm a betting man and would be more than willing to wager the .40 isn't going anywhere for a very long time, if ever.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    I just added a .40 cal to my stable. I was issued a Glock 23 while in LE (for awhile) and loved it. It is still one of the most favored rounds in LE.
    My favorite round is .45acp, but I end up with many calibers.
    The .40S&W round will be around for my grandkids.

The feds just ordered 1.6 billion rounds of .40, so it isn't going anywhere.
    Just get 'duty-grade ammo' like Gold Dot LE or Win Ranger T-series / DPMX1, Hornady +P, etc., and you'll be good .
    Get the WWB, Federal AE, Speer Blazer, or whatever for the range in the same bullet weight.
    Sister likes this.

Next to 45acp, the only caliber potent enough to stick in a concealable handgun! 9mm's been around forever, and always will be. But so will the 40S&W!

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    the .40 cal isn't going anywhere, there are way too many of these guns out there for any sane ammo manufacture to stop offering the .40 cal. gun makers will likely continue to offer it as well since the same platform will accommodate the 9mm .40 and .357sig
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links