Ammo Rattling in Magazine

This is a discussion on Ammo Rattling in Magazine within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just like the title states, i load 15 rounds into my 15 round mag (SR40 mag), and it all loads smoothly. I'll stick the mag ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Ammo Rattling in Magazine

Ammo Rattling in Magazine

Just like the title states, i load 15 rounds into my 15 round mag (SR40 mag), and it all loads smoothly. I'll stick the mag in the gun, and if you wiggle the gun back and forth, you can hear several rounds rattle around inside the mag. I can also press down on the top round, flattening it out, and replicate the rattling. has anyone had any problems with ammo rattling around inside mags? Any ideas or tips to prevent this? ive tried switching ammo around, from hornady critical defense, winchester pdx1's, hornady critical duty, and a couple others.

2. Remove Ads

Is it a new problem? Ie a gun (and mag), that you had for a while, that didnt use to have this problem?

Sounds like a bad mag/mag spring, to me.
    Taurahe likes this.

If the mag works with no problems, then I wouldnt sweat it myself. It happens sometimes. I have had mags rattle even they they funtioned perfectly. If it is a range / HD gun then it wont pose an issue. If you CC with it I would either contact ruger or just by a second mag, and if it doesnt rattle, call it a day.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    One of my 15 rd mags for my M&P40 has a slight rattle,but i don't hear it,when it's in the gun.Like one said the spring may be bad.I emptied it once and no problems,not yet anyway.
    Aceoky likes this.

Does it rattle with 14? Does it rattle when not on the gun?

Some rattles are absolutely meaningless, others indicate a problem.

I've had the former, but never the latter.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    All my Glock 30 mags will do it. The solution is to STOP SHAKING THE GUN! It's meaningless. No one is going to hear it.
    Aceoky, Yetiman, 357and40 and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's starting to become more and more frequent, and it's very noisy. I use that mag for home defense and swap to a 9 rounder for CC. It feeds properly, so I may grin and bear it, but it drives me nuts when I hear it.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    So you load a full mag in a pistol with the bolt closed, it pushes slightly on the top round, and a round rattles?

You now have an empty chamber. Load a round and see if it happens with 14 rounds.

Lead Moderator
    Several brands of pistol mags rattle when loaded. No big deal in itself.
    sparkykb and Aceoky like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Before you try some extreme corrective measure, just realize most pistol rounds are not perfectly cylindrical and when pressed together do not fit perfectly flush against each other. How much "rattle" they may make depends on the internal tolerances of the mag, the follower, etc. In all likelihood, no one but you will ever notice it--until you make a point of pointing it out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

This is very common for semi auto pistol mags. Unfortunately there is no solution.....just the way it is. The only solution is to get a different mag because some do it and some don't.

This happens with every type of semi auto pistol, it is not limited to your model. I have found this with every semi auto model I have and I have about 20 semi auto pistols.

I have also found that a specific mag may rattle with 1 type of load but not if I change the bullet. For instance changing from a 165 Gr load to a 180 Gr.

It can be an annoyunce if you are in a quiet situation (ie. laying in bed watching a cool movie and your mag rattles making your wife ask, "what are you doing?"). Or more importantly worrying about having to clear your house at night because you hear a noise and you don't want to give away your position due to noise in a very quiet environment.

My suggestion is save the noisy mags for the range or IDPA shoots and save the quiet one's for night stand duty and daily carry.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

It's a little frustrating, that's for sure. About half of my HK mags rattle, and we're talking $65 mags! True, I've never heard one rattle while I CCW it but it annoys me a bit. Often you can stop the rattle by removing one round or even rotating the top round a bit. Weird but it doesn't cause any real problems nor affect reliability.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    All four of my S&W 14 rnd mags rattle some. I usually take the 14th rnd back out, shake the mag and reinsert the cartridge. 99% of the time, that cures the problem. The stuff I have in my pocket make more noise than the mags do...pocket knife, zippo lighter, and loose change.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

I have pretty good luck shutting up my Glock mags if they rattle by pressing down on the last round a few times and then putting it back in the pistol. Sometimes I may pull a couple rounds out and then put them back in the mag. It nearly always works for my 9mm Glock mags. I think the rounds and spring just settle in a bit funny sometimes. The mags all function fine and it can happen with new mags/springs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    It's a little frustrating, that's for sure. About half of my HK mags rattle, and we're talking $65 mags! True, I've never heard one rattle while I CCW it but it annoys me a bit. Often you can stop the rattle by removing one round or even rotating the top round a bit. Weird but it doesn't cause any real problems nor affect reliability.
    I have a $10,000 prosthetic leg that clicks when I walk....... What's your point ?
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links