9MM VS 40 SW Caliber - Page 4

9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

This is a discussion on 9MM VS 40 SW Caliber within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I choose and use a .40, but like everyone else has said...use what you're comfortable with....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: 9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I choose and use a .40, but like everyone else has said...use what you're comfortable with.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

I have both, and I don't think much different about one or the other.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

40 mm is better than 9 mm...makes a cute "bloop" sound when you arc them at the BGs

oh wait, you said 40 cal...my bad.

Heck, I mostly carry .380 and .38 Spl...I must like to live dangerously
    GlassWolf and Taurahe like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

IMO (everyone has those btw some are just "more correct than others" )

I would pick .40 > 9mm every single time bigger/heavier bullet (even in lesser.40 bullet weights 155/147 ) but "I" have no issue shooting the .40 accurately and quickly (wife owns two ) I carry a 1911 .45 ACP so I do favor bigger/heavier over smaller lighter

YMMV
    Sister likes this.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    All handguns suck. For personal defense, get a rifle.
    get ah shotgun........

Hwasan Double Barrel Gas Airsoft Shotgun - Newegg.com

get ah double barrel shotgun

At the end of the day the 40 is larger diameter...can go faster...and shoots heavier bullets. Its the overwhelming choice of PDs (and CAG). But those pluses come at a price...more recoil. You have to spend more time practicing in order to shoot it effectively.

The 9mm with the hot new premium bullets has come a long way. It has less recoil and is easier to shoot, with less practice. A marginal shooter can easily qualify and shoot it

The question is, if you can easily shoot a weapon with less training and practice, is a false sense of confidence going to leave a shooter less prepared? A marginal shooter will have to invest more time in order to shoot the weapon well. Is the marginal shooter going to learn/qualify with an easy weapon going to enjoy shooting, and shoot more or get over confident loose interest and then holster the weapon and forget about it till needed?

No real answers from me, just food for thought.

Isn't it great to live in a Capitalist Society, where the open market (if operated freely) controls supply and price. If it was up to me and i had the money. I would have an assortment of guns with an assortment of ammo calibers. I came into firearms late in life (63) and my first firearm is a .40S&W. I came to this very rationally. My friend took me shooting for the first time EVER. gave me a .38 revolver to shoot (it was OK) then gave me his 9mm (That was better) then gave me his .40 model of the same as his 9mm. And I was beaming. It was such a rush, and i was hitting the target well (He is a good patient teacher). So my first purchase (Nov 2012) was a Ruger SR40C. I feel very comfortable with it. My next purchase might be a 9mm or it might be another but mid sized .40? don't know till i get there. I'll admit one thing 9mm is cheaper, but still a chore trying to find some.
    Aceoky likes this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    9mm was a failed Natzi experiment, resurrected by the liberal media in the early '80, and foisted on an unwilling public by non-shooting nihilists in the late '80s. Very few people actually use it in pistols. Most of it gets de-primed, drilled, and used as beads on necklaces to trade to indigenous people in exchange for petroleum and precious gems, or chop-sawed and used as spacers underneath imported Chinese electronics. Very often the substandard bullets are melted back down and used as doorstops. About half the people who shoot it are missing fingers from the catastrophic failures that are common to the round. In the invasion of Grenada American forces were near a total rout till the defending Cubans ran out of 7.62X39, and had to switch to 9mm.
    Bad Bob, Aceoky and CURMUDGEON5 like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I prefer the 9mm. It is easier to shoot, at least for me. The .40 is snappy. I sold my 2 .40s a long time ago.

I shoot both. each is has its pros and cons IMO, but neither is in any way bad.

9mm:

Pros
    more bullets in a smaller gun
    less recoil
    ammo is cheaper
    lots of choices in bullets

Cons
    Smaller holes in the BG
    "less" power than the 40 cal

40 cal

Pros
    Bigger holes
    "more Power"
    excellent blend of power vs size

cons
    lower capacity
    tends to cause heavy muzzle lift, often called " snappy" recoil
    ammo costs more than 9mm

There is no perfect answer for you. If you are able shoot both and see what you like.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Wow, the caliber war is still going?

How about, "9 is fine, 40 is sporty."
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    It's not about the size of the hole you put in the bad guy, it is where you put the hole in the bad guy.

yawn........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz

130904-F-XX000-023.jpg

Yes shot placement is important. the USAF used one of their laser guided J-DAMS to take out a speeding PIRATE boat. Nice to know Uncle Sam uses our tax dollars wisely. What do you figure about $40-50K to hit this little speed boat. A Navy Seal Sniper probably could have done it for 1/1000 of the cost.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Spectacular overkill sends a message to the other pirates. I approve of this vulgar display of money and power.
    GlassWolf and Ghost1958 like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links