9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

This is a discussion on 9MM VS 40 SW Caliber within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: 9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
    Thanks in advance.

Distinguished Member
    Here we go, our weekly caliber debate thread

The search button and some quality reading will give a lot of knowledge on this, but what the heck - .

After going on two years of carrying, and debating and reading these type threads I have gone through -

;who cares, 9mm is cheap, good enough - what I carried and all I had
    ;well a bigger bullet makes since, bought and carried a .40 and practiced with it just about weekly
    ;took my .40 and other 9mm handguns to the range and really was just better/faster with the 9mm
    ;bought a 9mm glock same size as my EDC .40 glock, shot both together/side by side - I just shoot 9mm easier/faster
    ;now am on the 9mm bandwagon, carry a 9mm and am fine/happy/content with it BUT I don't knock the .40, its a great bullet, not hard to shoot, has lots of potential and is great for those who want it. I will keep at least one or two guns in that caliber and keep some on hand cause it makes since to me and I like it.

Your mileage may vary.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    A .22 is much better. Gotta be, you can't find the ammo anywhere!
    Sister, Gav1230, Arejay and 2 others like this.

Cross a 40 with a 9 and you get the 357 Sig. They should have called it the "49"
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
    Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?
    9mm

What are the advantages of each over the other?
    Use the search feature this has been discussed ad nauseam.

How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.
    Depends on which caliber the firearm I would be using is chambered for. If the firearm is chambered for 9mm, I'd use 9mm rounds. If the firearm is chambered for 40SW, I'd use 40SW rounds.

And why?
    See response above.

Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
    No.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

When i'd see one of these threads i'd be like, "oh noo..here we go again!"

Now I look forward to it just because i cant wait to see who the first, "use the search FUNCTION!", hero is.

Here is my logical well thought out bullet points regarding your question:

-.40 sucks
    -9mm doesnt suck
    -Use 9mm (or something that isnt .40. maybe .45)

Trust me. I'm ex special forces, certified, trained, have (insert #) years police service, am a member of the NRA, have owned every gun in every caliber by every manufacturer ever made, I serve as expert witness in trials, i read wikipedia a lot, i've seen every Hickock45 video ever made, I've accessed and analyzed every statistical report ever generated by Massad Ayoob, my favorite guns are flawless, and they dont use CLIPS! And the number one, 100% guaranteed reason that my opinion is more valuable than anybody who disagrees with my assessment.....IT's THE INTERNET, SO I CANT BE WRONG!

As a follow up: either choice will be incorrect because some codger will tell you to get a "wheel gun son".

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarg28 View Post
    ...As a follow up: either choice will be incorrect because some codger will tell you to get a "wheel gun son"...
    All handguns suck. For personal defense, get a rifle.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

"caliber wars" are even better than "restaurant wars"

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

9mm = better.

Why? Cheaper, and I hit better with 9mms, and they are as effective as 40s. Better, if you take into account that most people hit better with them. They also last longer. Ie they dont have the wear on them that 40s will for the same amount of rounds thru them.

I am a died in the wool .40S&W guy.

my wife carries/shoots 9mm so I reached the conclusion I wanted our defensive guns to be easy for her to carry and shoot well.

Basically I give up the ballistic edge from the .40 to know that my wife can competently defend herself no matter what gun she grabs.

I still have 40's (and others) but that is why I mainly carry a 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    All handguns suck. For personal defense, get a rifle.
    I heard somebody say that all we needed was a double barrel shotgun. With that expert endorsement, I'll assume that a rifle is trumped.

Aceoky and brocktice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarg28 View Post

As a follow up: either choice will be incorrect because some codger will tell you to get a "wheel gun son".

good luck.
    Watch it there sonny.

mkh
    I have carried them all and have settled on the 9mm. Why?

Because its accurate, just as dependable, has quicker follow up sots and is cheaper. Plus my Sig TacOps. Hs 20rd mags and I like carrying more rounds.

My philosophy is to fill the BG with so much lead that he falls over from the extra weight.
    AustinArmory likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    9mm = better.

Why? Cheaper, and I hit better with 9mms, and they are as effective as 40s. Better, if you take into account that most people hit better with them. They also last longer. Ie they dont have the wear on them that 40s will for the same amount of rounds thru them.
    (We did this last week )

StormRhydr is wrong, completely wrong (snicker). The .40 is better IMO because you get bigger bullets and they are easier to find, and he has a .40 he will sell you!

j/k
    Ghost1958, bmcgilvray and Aceoky like this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
    Thanks in advance.
    Choose whichever you like or can shoot better.
    .40 S&W is only unreliable in guns that were designed on a 9mm platform, and later converted to .40 by the manufacturer by changing the spring, barrel, and mag. These guns were not designed for the shock load of a .40, and thus can fatigue more quickly. .40 is an over-pressure load by default, which is why it's not offered in +P. As for expansion and penetration, they are enarly identical, and in the scheme of things, the difference is negligible. The advantage is 9mm is magazine capacity. Typically you get one more round per mag in 9mm vs .40 in the same gun chambered in both calibers. Personally, I use 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P, and Federal HST 147gr. I'm not as accurate with the .40 due to it being more snappy from the overpressure loads and ehavier rounds, and I like the increased capacity of a 9. That's just me.
    maxwell97 and BlueHawk76 like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links