CCI Shell Shot in M&P 40C or .38 Snubbie

This is a discussion on CCI Shell Shot in M&P 40C or .38 Snubbie within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wondering if anyone has experience using or trying CCI Shell Shot in a M&P .40 Compact? I saw a video on YouTube where ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kilowatt3

Thread: CCI Shell Shot in M&P 40C or .38 Snubbie

I am wondering if anyone has experience using or trying CCI Shell Shot in a M&P .40 Compact? I saw a video on YouTube where it did cycle in the gun. I emailed S&W and they said they don't recommend using it in the M&P. I wouldn't use it as a regular load. Just in case I need it as a varmint load. Do you think it would ruin the barrel or any part?

In the alternative I may consider using it in my S&W Model 60 2". Any thoughts?

I wouldn't recommend it in a semi auto. The revolver would probably be ok though.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I agree, they work great in revolvers for snakes & mice.

I have shot hundreds of .38 shotshells through a snubbie, but I will not use them in a semi-auto, from personal experience. I had some in .45ACP and on two occasions had a shot capsule break in the magazine, filling the whole guts of the gun with shot. Quite a cleanup, making sure I got every single pellet out! Won't do that again!
    Snub44 and Taurahe like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Thanks guy. I appreciate the input. Guess I'll order some for the snubbie and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I have shot hundreds of .38 shotshells through a snubbie, but I will not use them in a semi-auto, from personal experience. I had some in .45ACP and on two occasions had a shot capsule break in the magazine, filling the whole guts of the gun with shot. Quite a cleanup, making sure I got every single pellet out! Won't do that again!
    Agree with this. I handloaded 38 and 44 shotshells by the hundreds 20 years ago and they worked great. Still have some 44s around. CCI 45 is of a different design than the 9mm and doesn't have the exposed shot capsule. I've never had an issue with them. I have a box or two of 9mm, but never used them. I don't think I've ever seen 40 shot shells.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I've never tried them in an automatic.

My brother in law a retired LEO carried it for his .357 Colt Python (In belt ammo holder ) for snakes. (Not sure of what caliber it was , but i knew he had specific bullets for snakes and other varmits.

I have shot a bunch in many calibers and I can't think of any semi auto I ever tried that would cycle reliably. FWIW, I never had the .40 or .45 break apart in the gun but had more than one 9mm do it.

They were fun for trick shooting and goofing off but if I ever wanted real snake protection it would be with a revolver round.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    This would be my fear.....
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Sponsored Links