Could 380 Be Too Weak For Winter

This is a discussion on Could 380 Be Too Weak For Winter within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started a thread a while back similar to this about changeing the type ammo you use in the winter. Now I'm curious if you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could 380 Be Too Weak For Winter

VIP Member

I started a thread a while back similar to this about changeing the type ammo you use in the winter. Now I'm curious if you might think that a 380 round might be too weak to be a good round in the winter. I bought a Bersa Thunder a while ago because it is lighter and was easy to carry when wearing lighter summer clothing. Now that winter has hit us and a lot of us will be wearing flannels and leather jackets, is a 380 round strong enough to penetrate winter clothing and flesh to get the job done and you can rely on this round. I already know a lot already feel a 380 round is too weak in any weather but a few here do carry in 380. Just wondering if now in winter if this should be my BUG weapon.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO its not as big an issue in Missouri as it is in say Maine or where i live Colorado . Here we may well have to get thro multiple shirts , cover alls , down parkas , ect.. That being said I reserve the .380 for a bug , or extreme deep cover . If your comfortable with it and your normal enviorment does not involve extremes of clothing being worn on the streets carry it , possibly shifting to ball ammo for the winter and paying even more attention to placement . On the other hand if you see a lot of HEAVY coats or coveralls you might consider a bit more gun .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I dont carry a 380 since i think you would at least be better of with a 9 that said

In michigan in winter no way would i carry a 380 the heavy coats and such there was a case here 2-3 years ago where the cops shot a armed robber or gang banger 22 times with 40cal and none of the 22 went though his heav coat or sweatshirt under the coat

the 23rd round was a head shot hit his skull and knocked him out didnt go though just hit the skull and stopped

Since then detroit police has switched ammo they carry

I'd definitely carry hardball in .380 during the winter. You could always test it. Set several layers of clothes over a wetpack outside and shoot through them.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Assistant Administrator
    Agree with Sammy - I would only carry FMJ with any .380 - regardless of time of year actually.

Now tho with extra cover options many folks can more easily carry something ''stronger'' !
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Bud thats a scary story! What do you think of a polymere ball ammo like a CorBon Power Ball?

Given that many folks feel a .380 is a minimum self defense caliber and given the extra layers of clothing worn in the winter, then the caliber might be considered that much more marginal for SD use.

As noted, go with ball if you do so as to help assure adequate penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    I dont carry a 380 since i think you would at least be better of with a 9 that said

In michigan in winter no way would i carry a 380 the heavy coats and such there was a case here 2-3 years ago where the cops shot a armed robber or gang banger 22 times with 40cal and none of the 22 went though his heav coat or sweatshirt under the coat

the 23rd round was a head shot hit his skull and knocked him out didnt go though just hit the skull and stopped

Since then detroit police has switched ammo they carry
    22 times with a 40sw and the 23rd knocked him out with a headshot that didn't even pass the skull? I can't help but be incredulous. Maybe I should just switch over to a 10mm and use +P ammo...

I think the BG had a steel plate in his head from a previous injury.
    A non-penatrating head shot from a .40 is not the norm.

does his jacket come in blue? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    Bud thats a scary story! What do you think of a polymere ball ammo like a CorBon Power Ball?

I've carried it in 10mm loaded pretty stout like all cor bon stuff sure helps if youve got a gun that doesnt like to feed hollow points

I have my Bersa loaded with Remington Golden Sabers...maybe I should stagger it with FMJ?

I'll be glad to jump up in caliber here soon. I've got the Kel-Tec PF-9 on order, and after that, I may look into the Bersa UltraCompact 45 (I do like Bersa guns), and perhaps maybe a 357 snubbie.

I'm using DPX in my .380. In the wetpack test it penetrated deeper than the Rangers and most everything else and they expand nicely.

I read that doubletap is going to make a .380, I may switch to it.

Quote Originally Posted by nicneufeld View Post
    I have my Bersa loaded with Remington Golden Sabers...maybe I should stagger it with FMJ?

I'll be glad to jump up in caliber here soon. I've got the Kel-Tec PF-9 on order, and after that, I may look into the Bersa UltraCompact 45 (I do like Bersa guns), and perhaps maybe a 357 snubbie.
    In the winter I probably wouldn't go with HP's in .380. While not scientific, this is a good example of the slight penetration difference between the two rounds.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26.htm

Although human bodies are different as well as opinions are different, I definitely wouldn't want any less penetration than the .380 already has. Then again, I don't believe in overpenetration, but take that for what it's worth.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I carry ball in my .380 year-round. With a 2.25" barrel, velocity just isn't in the equation. Need every advantage I can get.

My .380 is mainly my "social" gun. I carry it at work and in cases where my full size just isn't welcome. It is my gun when I don't have a gun.

In the summer, a hollow point may be passable, but there again, with such a short barrel, the velocity is so low that expansion is questionable.

VIP Member
    Lots of great info. I think I'll load it with Power Ball but still to be on the safe side, I'll use my Bersa as a back up. I'll strap my 9 or 45 to my side for the next 4 or 5 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links