Ammunition in a fire......for the fire-fighter

This is a discussion on Ammunition in a fire......for the fire-fighter within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, I received a PM asking me to start a thread with a link that I posted some time ago on the subject of sporting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ammunition in a fire......for the fire-fighter

Ammunition in a fire......for the fire-fighter

Greetings,

I received a PM asking me to start a thread with a link that I posted some time ago on the subject of sporting ammunition in a fire, and on fire... so here it is.....

SAAMI - Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter - YouTube

I passed this video on to our local Volunteer Fire Dept, and they were impressed enough to pass it around county-wide, and to the central part of the State.

The folks at SAAMI did an outstanding job on this presentation.

Regards.....
    ppkheat and maniacmechanic like this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thanks for posting this very good video. I had a large fire several years back and I saw first-hand what happens. They do a great job setting ammo on fire under several different conditions. They also fire rounds at bulk cases of ammo along with grinding some up under a dozers tracks.

Interesting 25 minutes of video, and great information to share with your local FD. I've read where some FD will back off when ammo cooks off, this video is very pro to fight fires containing ammo.

BTW I'm not one to encourage storing a lot of ammo and guns inside the same safe. Believe me, it's not a great idea.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Back in my wayward, and pre-total brain development, we used to throw rounds in the fire to see if they'd go off. This explains why we're till alive n' kickin Thanks for the info (albeit a bit late)

They have proven time and time again ammo is not an issue for Fire fighters. But the subject keeps coming back.
    Just another myth pushed by anti-gun groups.

VIP Member
    Looks like they weren't facing an ammo shortage..........
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Very well done video, thanks for posting.

Did anyone else shed a tear?
    blitzburgh and Navman like this.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    I was a volunteer firefighter for over 30 years, and have been to many house fires where ammo was cooking off. Closest was only a few feet away from some .303 rounds that were on a closet shelf a few feet from where we were making an attack. It gets your attention, and definitely has some pucker factor, but that's about it.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Did anyone else shed a tear?
    400,000 rounds............yep
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

One of the tests that fascinated me was the one where they support the brass only by it's base and then strike the primer.
    The rounds only went a few feet because the gasses were not contained in a chamber or barrel.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

The key issue is whether the round is contained in a chamber. Which raises the question of whether you store your firearms loaded (with one in the pipe) or not? I do... and I do worry about what would happen in a fire. But I also worry that chambering and rechambering a round every day (which you would need to do for an EDC that you store at night without a round in the chamber) is about as dangerous. Between setback, and frankly, simply the possibility of operator or mechanical malfunction while chambering.

Am I wrong to store them with a round in the pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    The key issue is whether the round is contained in a chamber. Which raises the question of whether you store your firearms loaded (with one in the pipe) or not? I do... and I do worry about what would happen in a fire. But I also worry that chambering and rechambering a round every day (which you would need to do for an EDC that you store at night without a round in the chamber) is about as dangerous. Between setback, and frankly, simply the possibility of operator or mechanical malfunction while chambering.

Technically, a firearm used solely for self defense even if it's bedside or somewhere else isn't stored it's in use as a self defense tool. Now for any firearm that is not specifically in this roll should never be left with a round chambered.

Some people say that ALL of their firearms are for self defense and use that as justification to leave them chambered but realistically the only real self defense firearms are the ones you keep close at hand.

At a bare minimum if you feel you must have all firearms "ready" then at least do not chamber a round in the ones not close at hand. Keep the magazine loaded but keep the chamber empty.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    So it's the fire department whose been using up all the ammo. I knew it was a conspiracy.

Every liberal know that ammo starts killing only when children and puppies walk by. Why didn't they do that test, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Looks like they weren't facing an ammo shortage..........
    Right! That video was hard to watch.

Joking aside, that was a great video and thanks for posting it. I remember it being posted a while ago but couldn't find it.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post

This was a worry of mine and one of the first things I looked into when I really got interested in firearms. Now, the only weapons I keep loaded 24/7 is my EDC, which doubles as my nightstand gun, and my SIG M4. I keep both out of lock-up and real close to me should anything ever happen. The last thing I want to be doing if a fire breaks out is trying to open up the safe and unload everything.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links