Epoxy coating for lead bullets

This is a discussion on Epoxy coating for lead bullets within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After watching a video and doing a little research about coating lead bullets with an epoxy coating that not only prevents any barrel leading,but allows ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Epoxy coating for lead bullets

After watching a video and doing a little research about coating lead bullets with an epoxy coating that not only prevents any barrel leading,but allows the bullets to be loaded close to jacketed velocities,I decided to try some.Last week I received some HBN (Hexagonal Boron Nitride) powder that is a really fine lubricant like graphite,Today a 1/2 pint of high gloss black epoxy car paint with the hardener and reducer will be delivered on the brown truck,and I will do some experimenting,I already had a toaster oven in my garage for another project so my only expense will be the paint and HBN.If It works then the indoor range I'm a member of that doesn't allow non jacketed lead bullets I will be able to shoot these at and save a ton of money since the cost per round shouldnt increase by more than maybe .01 cent which will still be around $6-$7.00 100 9/40/45
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I find that very hard to believe, but let us know how it works out. I'd rather deal with lead fouling than paint fouling in my bore.

The solution to lead fouling was copper jackets, which foul allot less. Maybe epoxy is an improvement, but I doubt it. Even if it works I would find it hard to believe it's better and easier to clean out than a jacket. The lands and grooves necessarily cut into the bullet, and that's just not a clean operation no matter what they're cutting.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Sounds like bad juju, to me.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    With proper loads, hardness, and size, I don't find leading to be an issue requiring anything other than normal cleaning afterwards.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Senior Moderator
    I know several people that are into cast bullet shooting that have had nothing but positive things to say about "powder coated" bullets.

They are getting good speed, with no fouling of any kind, no lead, no paint, basically lots of shooting with shiny bores when its all done.

So much so that I am considering trying it myself. Be sure to post the results.
    Aceoky and Rigrat like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Hbn is good for rifle... Not lead...

U don't use epoxy paint... U use thinded powder coat...

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Mr. Donnie Miculek at Bayou Bullets makes some pretty darned good "powder coated" bullets. I'm loading them in .38 spl, .357 mag, .44 mag and .45 acp, and loving them. Just wish he was casting something like the Ranch Dog 165 grain boolit for .30-30 win.

JD
    Rigrat likes this.

I finally got the bullets coated,125 grain 9mm roundnose it was pretty easy once I got everything set up and used a tablespoon to measure out paint 2 TBSP epoxy paint/1TBSP hardener/1/2TBSP thinner and 1/2 of a .5cc lee powder measure of the HBN lube.The finished cartridges not only shot accurately but there was no samoke at all.In the following pictures you can see where I hit 2 of the coated bullets with a hammer one on the nose and one sideways,there was no cracking or flaking of the epoxy coating

pgrass101 and bmcgilvray like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This may be a dumb question, but what is the purpose for coating bullets?

I don't reload so i know very little about this stuff. It makes a nice looking cartridge though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Lead bullets must be lubricated. This can be done by several different methods, powder coating is a relatively new idea that is gaining acceptance due to the fact that it works.

The powder coating acts a lube and keeps the lead from leading up the barrel. It also prevents the base of the bullet from melting due to the high temperature of the gun powder burning and the more uniform the base stays during the firing process the more accurate the shot will be.

So far, what I've read about it and heard about it is about the only negative to the whole process is acquiring the right stuff to do it.
    Aceoky and bmcgilvray like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Maybe you should re-invent history, and tell this long tail to those who have been shooting muzzle loaders?
    StormRhydr likes this.

Administrator
    Interesting. New one on me. Though I am familiar with the process of Teflon coated bullets.
    Aceoky and bmcgilvray like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

New to me too. Nice to pick up something like this on Defensive Carry.
    Aceoky and 40Bob like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Doesn't this increase the diameter of the bullets or do you use undersized ones or run them through a die or is the coating very thin?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links