Defensive Carry banner

9mm ammo suggestions for winter carry.

11K views 54 replies 38 participants last post by  agalindo 
#1 ·
I like 9mm but wonder which ammo would best serve for winter carry. Or would I be better served by 40 S&W or 45 ACP? Input is most welcome. Thank you in advance for your responses.

#27 ·
I agree with Joker, and use these Golden Sabre's pretty much as a mainstay load. You also get the added benefit that Remington seals the primers on Golden Sabers since they are primarily marketed for LE and CC use. This will protect the primer in situations of environmental changes.

#21 ·
Same for me, 147gr HST all the time. If for some reason I did decide to run ball it would be 147gr flat point ball. I've got a good stash of Federal Champion 147gr with a fairly flat point, and it runs fine through all my guns (although my HKs run anything/everything fine).

#25 ·
If the extra clothing fills the point and it fails to expand, it might as well be ball, so no point using ball. The Hornady stuff with the little plug in the nose might be a good choice, or if you're really worried about it, get a .45.

Reactions: Aceoky and ANGLICO
#26 ·
I still have a few Black Talons but I probably won't use them, just keep them as collector's items. Partly because they're uncommon now but mostly because I don't have enough of them left to verify reliable function and still have enough to carry.

#28 ·
I carry a .45 1911 all months (also in Ky) so

#29 ·
I do not understand the logic behind seasonal ammo????? It is not like a gun that is easier to conceal in the winter due to outerwear. In other words, your ammo is not going to affect the gun's weight or size or concealability so why would you carry different ammo in winter and summer?

You should always carry the same ammo, which would be any that pass the FBI tests. Speer, Remington, Hornady and others make very good ammo for all seasons. I carry non +P that pass the FBI protocol tests. Less recoil and quicker to get back on target. Some people feel that the extra few hundred FPS is worth the extra recoil; I do not as long as the non +P gets the job done.

#30 ·
I think the idea behind it is that in colder weather folks wear more layers of clothing which would affect penetration , especially if penetration is questionable in summer months. I might be wrong though

Reactions: Poorly
#31 ·
I really don't think that most clothing is going to effect bullet penetration to a significant degree. Clothing might effect expansion.

Remember shot placement is king and penetration is queen, expansion just helps slightly with poor shot placement.

I carry the same ammo year around for 9mm 124 gr Hydra-Shok

Most of the time I carry a .357 loaded with 158gr Hydrashok

#32 ·
I carry a 5" government size 1911 most of the time. I have them in both .45 ACP and 10mm. They are loaded year around with Winchester PDX1 230 grain .45 ACP or Winchester Silvertip 175 grain 10mm. I carry 10mm more often in the winter here in Northwest Oregon when people wear several layers of clothing for warmth and a layer of rain proof clothing. You know it is winter here when people start wearing wool socks with their Birkenstocks.

Reactions: Aceoky
#48 ·
LC was diplomatic in this post. We have a lot of heavy people in heavy clothes, self medicating their 'overcast blues' with a variety of vices.

I carry Speer Gold Dot 9mm 147gr all year long. Gold Dots have worked great for local LEOs. I'm not worried about clogging.

#35 ·
I carry gold dot short barrel 124 gr. +P. But I plan on carrying the critical duty 135gr. +P during the winter just to eliminate the option of failure to expand. It all depends on how bad climate change effects my area this winter.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.