SHTF 357 load

This is a discussion on SHTF 357 load within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; started this thread to clarify my question: I have been giving my question more consideration. Lets just say that for conversation sake the 158 and ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Cuda66
  • 1 Post By Mark_in_wi
  • 1 Post By pgrass101

Thread: SHTF 357 load

SHTF 357 load

started this thread to clarify my question:

I have been giving my question more consideration. Lets just say that for conversation sake the 158 and 125 sjhp at their perspective factory loads are good to go.

What I am after is a round for a SHTF scenario. One that an individual can cast and load himself. One that will function in a revolver and lever gun. One that can pull dual duty SD and hunting small to medium game. a load that will minimize leading.

In this situation I am not necessarily concerned about over penetration as I am more concerned about terminal effectiveness.

1. initial consideration would be bullet design to work with the lever gun.
    2. bullet weight and hardness
    3. primer sp or magnum
    4. powder and charge.

.357 magnum SD ammo

2. Remove Ads

I'd say the 158gr LSWC is exactly what you are looking for. Cast harder rather than softer.

My Marlin 1894C .357 feeds them without issue.
    pgrass101, Bad Bob and bmcgilvray like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I'd say the 158gr LSWC is exactly what you are looking for. Cast harder rather than softer.
    What he said!

I would say that since you are looking for a do everything load, I would want, the heavier bullet for hunting. I know just enough about reloading to be dangerous so I won't go into great detail but I would suggest that once you find a good lead alloy you like, stock up so you keep consistency in future loads.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Senior Moderator
    If you are looking for one general load that you can cast yourself, the 158 gr LSWC is the one you want
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

In a SHTF situation you may be finding supplies difficult kinda like today,I ve used SP magnum primers in place of SP primers and haven't noticed any huge difference,I cast and load 158grn LSWC in front of 6.5 grains of unique,I've also used Bullseye and American Select powders
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I run a 170gr LSWC over 6.5 of unique in my 6" ruger. Works well and is accurate out of my revolver. I admit I am curious to see what it can do from a carbine length barrel...

Another fan of the 158 grain lead SWC stoked up heavy with 2400. Good in rifle or pistol and fit for most any application.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The 125

Links