StarFire Ammo

StarFire Ammo

This is a discussion on StarFire Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few years ago I bought some StarFire 230gr ammo for my Sig P220. Even though I love guns, I don't know much about ammo ...

Thread: StarFire Ammo

Question StarFire Ammo

A few years ago I bought some StarFire 230gr ammo for my Sig P220. Even though I love guns, I don't know much about ammo yet. Does anyone know if this brand is good to use or not? I've read some things online about it, but as I said, I don't seem to understand much of it yet. Also, I talked with a guy a while back and he said that it is better to switch to FMJ in the winter because if you have to shoot a BG with a JHP and he's wearing a thick enough coat, the end of the HP could get clogged with a piece of the coat and cause it to not flatten or function properly. Is there any truth in this or was he blowing smoke up my backside? Thanks to anyone who can help me on this. OH...one more thing, I just joined this forum today and haven't had a chance to read each posting, but is the ammo I bought still good to use, or should I buy some new stuff? This ammo is probably at least 6 years old. Thanks again.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
    ~ Adolf Hitler, 1935

Welllets start out by saying that Starfire is a good quality round that will do the job that it was made for. As far as switching to FMJ during the winter months, well that is a personal choice. When a JHP becomes "clooged" with clothing etc they act just like a ball round with clothing, etc in front of it. A FMJ does not mushroom out at all when it hits soft tissue so switching in the winter would be worthless. As far as the age of the ammo (6 years) being a factor I would have to ask myself if the ammo has been in the weapon for that long well lets just say it would be a good idea for you to go to the range a little more often. As a rule of thumb I rotate out ammunition on a 6 month basis. If I go longer than that without going to the range then there is a problem with me keeping up my skills. I would advise you to go to the rage, practice and expend that 6 year old ammo just to play it safe.
    Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    If your talking 'bout the PMC brand,I have limited expierance with it.

I tried it out in a couple of .38 specials that I owned.(the 125gr IIRC) It seemed fairly hot. Recoil was up there and a fireball. Now I was using a snubbie,so that could have been it. I ended up not using it for whatever reason,but I remember that the accuracy was good with that loading.

As far as winter/summer ammo.........find the brand/loading that you like,and stick with it. Don't change with the seasons.

What happens if you gotta shoot two BG's,one with a down vest on and the other just wearing a tee shirt ??

Welcome to the forum. ----------

StarFires

Thanks guys for the input. I'm never afraid to learn about things I love. And actually, NUCGUY, when I do go to the range I just take out the StarFires and use regular ball ammo. It never occured to me to shoot the StarFires at the range. I guess my thinking was that since the SF were so expensive (box of 20 for almost $20 if I remember correctly) that I would rather pay $15 for a box of 50 ball. It never occured to me that ammo could go bad, as long as they were kept in a safe place and out of the elements. But if you are saying that I need to shoot them, then that's what I'll do. Thanks for the advice.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
    ~ Adolf Hitler, 1935

Actually it is not a bad idea to "change out ammo" when you go to the range for the economic sense of it. It is fairly common. The reason that I say use your duty load at least a few times a year is so that you are aware of how it shoots. There is nothing like the suprise of going from a light practice load to a hard hitting carry load and then realize "Damn that never felt that way when I shot at the range". This is one reason that many serious shooters use cheaper practice loads that feel and shoot (flight wise not impact wise) like their carry loads. I also shoot my actual carry load at least a few times a year is that due to the ammunition being exposed to the elements as well as my own sweat, etc that I would much rather spend 15 or 20 bucks a fewe times a year to rotate thjat out then to say "Hey Mr. Bad Guy please wait a moment so that I can put brand new ammunition in my wheel gun".
    Good luck, be safe and welcome aboard.
    Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

VIP Member
    pmc and it is good

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I've got some Starfire 10mm 180 grain jhp . Seems a little underpowered compared to most 10mm based on its recoil alone.

I shot some Starfire several years ago in a very unscientific "test", and wasn't very impressed at all. I shot 20 rounds of .40 through my fullsize Taurus PT-101. I don't remember the characteristics of all of the rounds, but of the 20, only a couple performed with what I would call satisfactory results.

I was shooting into a HUGE Jello mold I made in my refrigerator and a garbage can (made the ex-wife really happy).

Only a few of the 20 rounds expanded as expected. Some partially opened, some could have been reloaded and shot again. The one thing that really had me scratching my head was that I actually had a couple that were facing the wrong way when they stopped in the mold.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    PMC Starfire was one of the first "wonder rounds" produced and was designed by the same guy that did the SuperVel and Triton QuickShot rounds which were some of the best rounds produced. TheStarfire is starting to get hard to find which sucks as it's always been 100% reliable in all calibers for me and was usually at the top of the pile where balistic tests were concerned.

Links