LWSC

This is a discussion on LWSC within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There seems to be a great following for the 158 gr LSWC in .38 special. I can not find them anywhere these days and it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: LWSC

Lightbulb LWSC

There seems to be a great following for the 158 gr LSWC in .38 special.

I can not find them anywhere these days and it got me thinking about the ballistics. The FBI ran tests and found it to be a round they found quite capable.

A few questions:

1. What are the desirable characteristics of this round?

2. I see it often recommended in .38 special chambered guns, especially snubs. I carry one and this made me wonder: is it the round or the gun?
    I do not remember seeing anyone recommend it in the .357 magnum, .44 mag etc. Why is that?

Hopefully you see where I am coming from with these questions.

I shot some LSWC handloads in my GP100 and they seemed to be loaded quite stoutly. Made me wonder why I have not heard recommendations in other (revolver) calibers for LSWC. Thank you for your input!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

I'm no ballistics expert but I prefer heavy for caliber bullets. For my S&W 642 I tried Buffolo Bore 158 grain LSWC at 850 and 1000 FPS. The 1000 FPS was just too much recoil in that gun for me. In the end I settled on Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain at close to 900 FPS out of an airweight. Very manageable recoil even weak handed shooting. I felt for an airweight the GDHPSB was the best all around performer. I Picked up 500 rounds shipped from ammoman.com for $400. Get it while the internet is still legal in our state comrade.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

The heavier bullet gives more penetration at lower velocities than a lighter bullet. This helps the 38 special. The LSWC is an older bullet design and worked well before modern hollow point were developed. The reason nobody recommends them for SD use in magnum revolvers it that they would over penetrate very badly, this presents 2 problems; You are wasting energy better served by staying in the BG and they cause undo risk to injured a bystander. It does make a dandy hunting bullet in any caliber.
    OD*, Aceoky, pgrass101 and 4 others like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

^^^ what 40Bob said.^^^

This is what's loaded in my carry snub. BuffaloBore "Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo - 158 gr. Soft Lead SWC-HC (850fps/M.E. 253 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box". "tnoutdoors9" on YouTube has a pretty good video of the performance for this load out of the S&W snub if you want to check it out.

I carry the 125gr .357 magnum GoldenSaber in my SP 101 snub. Again, like 40Bob stated, from my research the heavier loads in .357 tend to over penetrate due to the additional horsepower. While some say you won't care about that when a fight comes your way. I say, I know I won't, that's because I thought of it before the fight.
    FlaRon, tdave, 40Bob and 2 others like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Thank you! That is exactly what I wondered.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Not to mention that un-jacketed lead squirting down the barrel at .357 velocities tends to lead up the rifling in legendary ways.

Ask me how I know.
    chanroc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Not to mention that un-jacketed lead squirting down the barrel at .357 velocities tends to lead up the rifling in legendary ways.

Ask me how I know.
    Gas checks and/or propr powder selection helps with this.

I like 2400 with lead bullets.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post

ditto the 2400 for magnum loads. I shoot nothing but lead in my revolvers (.38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag). In the last 10-12 months I've really become a fan of Bayou Bullets and Mr. Donnie's dry lube. I've also recently become a fan of AA#9 for the magnum lead loads. I'm not maxing them out, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 1150 fps in the .44 mag Super RedHawk and in the 1600 fps range in a 20 inch Rossi M92. Even shooting standard LSWC's with "caulk lube", if the bullet fits the bore I've never experienced this so called issue of lead melting down the barrel. Guess I've just been lucky.
    bmcgilvray and 40Bob like this.

The 158 gr LSWC is becoming my bullet of choice for 38 spl out of my GP100. Loaded at the right levels they do not lead the barrel and are plenty accurate.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post

Thanks. I was in fact, using Bubba's secret recipe. (actually his name is Bo)

LOL I know the lead can be cheaper, and made at home, though I have no desire to be smelting in the garage. Great info as always. Thx
    BigJon

Cool

I do not hand load and my .38 spl. revolvers are all steel frame and post 1983 j-frames.

This is my newest + p carry load:

Buffalo Bore Ammo 38 Special +P 158 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow

Both my Model 60 and 649 carry oversized grips to tame the recoil. This load definitely gets your attention.

Image 8.jpgphoto.jpg pre buffalo bore rounds in photos.
    click image to enlarge....

FlaRon
    wmhawth likes this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    There seems to be a great following for the 158 gr LSWC in .38 special.

I can not find them anywhere these days and it got me thinking about the ballistics. The FBI ran tests and found it to be a round they found quite capable.

A few questions:

1. What are the desirable characteristics of this round?

2. I see it often recommended in .38 special chambered guns, especially snubs. I carry one and this made me wonder: is it the round or the gun?
    I do not remember seeing anyone recommend it in the .357 magnum, .44 mag etc. Why is that?

Hopefully you see where I am coming from with these questions.

I shot some LSWC handloads in my GP100 and they seemed to be loaded quite stoutly. Made me wonder why I have not heard recommendations in other (revolver) calibers for LSWC. Thank you for your input!
    There is a big difference between the LSWC and the LSWCHP. The FBI tests, and the FBI/Chicago/Metro/Dallas load is the LSWCHP.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I load 240gr. SWC by the 1,000's for my .44 Special and .44 Mag....not gonna change now....40 plus years of reloading
    and they are still the best "all-around" projectile for my uses...and that is hunting, plinking, and defense.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

In any non magnum revolver caliber I always prefer lead semi wadcutter ammo as both practice and defence ammo. Especially in short barrels I like to know that I'm punching nice full caliber holes deep into the BG. Semi wadcutters don't deform, and due to the flat meplate and sharp shoulders theyre not as likely to ricochi if they hit a bone on there way into a BG, or if they hit an interior wall, ect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links