.41 Magnum defensive ammo

.41 Magnum defensive ammo

This is a discussion on .41 Magnum defensive ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are not huge numbers of choices for this round though it does appear there are some options. Buffalo Bore has 170 and 180 gr ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: .41 Magnum defensive ammo

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array gatorbait51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Loozianna
    Posts
    3,012

    .41 Magnum defensive ammo

    There are not huge numbers of choices for this round though it does appear there are some options.

    Buffalo Bore has 170 and 180 gr but for sheer mass, Double tap has a 300 gr round that appears to be a 210 gr hollow point with 90 gr ball round inside.
    Winchester has a 240 Platinum Hollowpoint as well. To say these might be a fascinating shoot I think would be an understatement

    There are others , all big.

    Two things , first off ,any thoughts on the .41 as a carry gun( yes, it is heavy as ,,,,) Secondly, at which point is more than enough gun?

    This is one of those random thoughts that snag on the edges of a fragmented mind.

    Gotta admit, a 300 Gr bullet might be an interesting shoot. .
    GhostMaker and CeltKnight like this.


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array Bad Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where the deer and the antelope roam
    Posts
    3,618
    I always liked the Winchester Silvertip in the Magnums for SD. In reality an N frame is no heavier to carry than an L frame. When is it more than enough gun? When you are unable to control it.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

    “Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

  3. #3
    VIP Member
    Array gatorbait51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Loozianna
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I always liked the Winchester Silvertip in the Magnums for SD. In reality an N frame is no heavier to carry than an L frame. When is it more than enough gun? When you are unable to control it.
    Too right. I have a brother in law who is so big, his S&W 500 looks like a snubby when he holds it . He has shot it mostly with two hands but he has used it single handedly

    Makes my .41 look like a cap gun .

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,962
    I really don't know anything about .41, but checking one of my favorite websites:

    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .41 Mag Results

    it looks like these run from about a heavy .40 S&W up to horrendously powerful hunting loads. Of these selections, I'll take a stab and say that the Buffalo Bore 170 gr JHP would be my choice. That bullet traveling at 1500 fps? Ouch. That (if you believe Courtney and Courtney, which I tend to) is well into hydrostatic shock energy levels, and I doubt there would be any problem with penetration. Maybe the heavier loads are intended as hunting rounds?

    Again, just thinking out loud here, no expertise really.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

    — Captain Bellamy

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    11,232
    My question is, what are you defending against?

    The .41 mag as originally conceived by Bill Jordan and Skeeter Skelton was to be an "enhanced" police round, offered in two levels of power. The basic round would be a lead SWC around 200 grains in the 900-1000 ft/sec range for normal duty work, which put it well ahead of any .38 Special available at the time, and offered nearly the effectiveness of the .357 magnum without the muzzle blast and recoil. The hotter level was midway between the .357 and .44 magnums, with a slightly heavier bullet. I'm not sure if the hotter loading was intended for LE use. I was an early teen young gun nut at the time, frustrated by my parent's indifference/disdain for my firearms interests, so without actual trigger time I devoured what I could about this new police round being developed.

    But that was about 50 years ago, the .41 came and went in the LE community. The lighter, 'duty' rounds are easily matched by .45 and .40 auto loads today, and we have much more effective JHP bullets in every popular defensive caliber. I'd be a little concerned with over-penetration with heavy bullets at magnum velocities, and reserve those for hunting duties. For defense against 2-legged predators, I'd probably choose the 170 gr Win Silvertip or possibly the 210 gr Hornady XTP.
    bmcgilvray and gatorbait51 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  6. #6
    VIP Member
    Array gatorbait51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Loozianna
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My question is, what are you defending against?

    The .41 mag as originally conceived by Bill Jordan and Skeeter Skelton was to be an "enhanced" police round, offered in two levels of power. The basic round would be a lead SWC around 200 grains in the 900-1000 ft/sec range for normal duty work, which put it well ahead of any .38 Special available at the time, and offered nearly the effectiveness of the .357 magnum without the muzzle blast and recoil. The hotter level was midway between the .357 and .44 magnums, with a slightly heavier bullet. I'm not sure if the hotter loading was intended for LE use. I was an early teen young gun nut at the time, frustrated by my parent's indifference/disdain for my firearms interests, so without actual trigger time I devoured what I could about this new police round being developed.

    But that was about 50 years ago, the .41 came and went in the LE community. The lighter, 'duty' rounds are easily matched by .45 and .40 auto loads today, and we have much more effective JHP bullets in every popular defensive caliber. I'd be a little concerned with over-penetration with heavy bullets at magnum velocities, and reserve those for hunting duties. For defense against 2-legged predators, I'd probably choose the 170 gr Win Silvertip or possibly the 210 gr Hornady XTP.
    I'd tend to agree the big heavy rounds are hunting rounds, pretty much the end of any wild pig. I would also agree 170-210 gr hollowpoints or soft points would be major defensive rounds . I have some of the Buffalo Bore 170s and 180s on order. I did pick up some of the 300s as well. I like to experiment and see what certain ammunition loads can and can't do. Once I shoot them , I'll report on them .

    It's a shame the .41 did not catch on, it is a flat shooting , hard hitting round . I have always enjoyed shooting mine .
    GhostMaker and Bad Bob like this.

  7. #7
    VIP Member
    Array gatorbait51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Loozianna
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I really don't know anything about .41, but checking one of my favorite websites:

    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .41 Mag Results

    it looks like these run from about a heavy .40 S&W up to horrendously powerful hunting loads. Of these selections, I'll take a stab and say that the Buffalo Bore 170 gr JHP would be my choice. That bullet traveling at 1500 fps? Ouch. That (if you believe Courtney and Courtney, which I tend to) is well into hydrostatic shock energy levels, and I doubt there would be any problem with penetration. Maybe the heavier loads are intended as hunting rounds?

    Again, just thinking out loud here, no expertise really.
    The real world barrel length is on a 4" S&W model 57.. that's what I have .. 1466 fps is fairly impressive .

    The advertised penetration for the 300 gr is 17.5 " I'd say that was penetration indeed .
    GhostMaker likes this.

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,962
    It's a shame this round didn't catch on, from the numbers it sure looks like a great choice for carry.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

    — Captain Bellamy

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    11,232
    In one of the Ayoob Files columns in American Handgunner many years ago, Mas described an incident in the plains or prairie states where two cops responded to a disorderly person call at or near a bar late one night. The subject pulled out a gun, and both cops emptied their .41s into the guy. He was DRT and as I recall, most if not all rounds penetrated the guy completely. I'm not drawing any good/bad conclusions, but rather noting that the rounds were effective. As is his normal fashion, Mas reviewed the effectiveness if the rounds... it would be great to re-read that article in light of what we know today.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array GhostMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    I'd tend to agree the big heavy rounds are hunting rounds, pretty much the end of any wild pig. I would also agree 170-210 gr hollowpoints or soft points would be major defensive rounds . I have some of the Buffalo Bore 170s and 180s on order. I did pick up some of the 300s as well. I like to experiment and see what certain ammunition loads can and can't do. Once I shoot them , I'll report on them .

    It's a shame the .41 did not catch on, it is a flat shooting , hard hitting round . I have always enjoyed shooting mine .
    I agree...I love the .41 and even carried one for a time on patrol when it was authorized. Properly loaded it is devasting for defensive work, and works equally well for hunting. I carried the 175 grain Winchester Silvertips way back during those patrol days, and felt well heeled. I also must admit that the .41 Magnum was extremely accurate, and even out performed more expensive pistols I had.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    U.S. Army Desert Storm Veteran
    Certified Police Firearms Instructor
    Former US Customs Blue Lighting Strike Force Commissioned Officer
    Advanced Highway Drug Interdiction Specialist
    Graduate Regional Counter Drug Training Academy
    Graduate of Bullet Proof Mind Course - (Dave Grossman Course)

  11. #11
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Posts
    17,585
    I loved my .41 Blackhawk, although it never saw a factory round. It's a great round for hand loading.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  12. #12
    VIP Member
    Array gatorbait51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Loozianna
    Posts
    3,012
    Just picked up two 20 round coxes of Cor Bon 250 gr HC they claim 1325 fps /975 ft lbs out of a 6"

    Should get interesting soon. Looking forward to running some comparisons .

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,467
    Seems like a 215 lead grain SWC would be just the ticket at 1050/1100 fps. I've had a .41 Magnum for a few years now. Was a gun I wanted back in the '70s but only got around to acquiring later. It can be a horse when loaded up tight. Took a small doe with mine. Not enough deer there for a 220 grain half-jacketed semi-wadcutter at 1360 fps.
    gasmitty, gatorbait51 and Cuda66 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

    Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    11,232
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    It's a shame this round didn't catch on, from the numbers it sure looks like a great choice for carry.
    Agreed - but the 'problem' was that it only showed up in an N-frame S&W, which was probably bigger than most line cops were willing to tote. I have to wonder if the .41 would have gained wider acceptance if the L frame was available at the time.
    gatorbait51 and CeltKnight like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas, South of the Sabine
    Posts
    1,149
    I'd be all over a 3" SP101 chambered for .41 mag ... even if it had to be scaled up 4-5%
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

.41 magnum defense ammo

,
.41 magnum effective
,
.41 magnum low power ammo
,
.41 magnum options
,

41 mag defense ammo

,

41 mag defensive ammo

,

41 magnum ammo

,
41 magnum for defence
,

41 magnum for home defense

,

41 magnum home defense ammo

,

best 41 magnum load for ccw

,

skeeter skelton articles 41 magnum

Click on a term to search for related topics.