Update on epoxy coated cast bullets

This is a discussion on Update on epoxy coated cast bullets within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I fired over 300 9mm so far with a fairly clean bore afterwards,no lead or PAINT in the barrel,There is a guy on the CastBoolit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Update on epoxy coated cast bullets

Update on epoxy coated cast bullets

I fired over 300 9mm so far with a fairly clean bore afterwards,no lead or PAINT in the barrel,There is a guy on the CastBoolit forum that found a local cheaper easier to use epoxy paint,it's called VHT epoxy paint in Autozone,don't get the caliper paint.He puts the bullets in a small plastic container about like a butter tub,then sprays the bullets with a good coating and swirls around reshooting paint in until they are coated,once they get tacky he then pours out on a screen and lets them air dry until they are dry to the touch,I use a heat gun to warm them up and speed up the process,then throw in a single layer in a pan and bake at 300 degrees for 10 minutes,repeat 3 times and then run thru your sizing die.
    He used a propane torch to heat a coated bullet to see if he could burn the coating off,the lead melted while still encased in the epoxy coating.
    With the spray can you can buy locally,it's cheaper,no shipping charges,you don't have to mix anything it's pre mixed in the can.
    Aceoky and gottabkiddin like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I've used powder coat mixed with acetone to tumble the bullets then bake. I'll have to see if our local autozone has the epoxy paint.

Interesting
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

After using both epoxy paints I like the Klass Kote 2 part better,even tho it costs more per ounce it actually takes a lot less to coat the same amount of bullets and I believe has a harder slicker coating.I can bake about 500 9mm at a time in my Mattel "Easy Bake" Oven,baking at 300 for 10 minutes cuts down on time between coats,.J/K its a cheapo Toaster oven,If I needed to do more I would look into a larger oven.It's important to let the coatings dry completely before baking so they don't stick to each other
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    that's cool stuff. How about some pictures if possible.

Here's one of my powder coated bullets. I had some stick together when baking them. I was in a hurry and didn't separate them so some stuck together.

20131014_130918_5_bestshot_zpsdc414d83.jpg
    Cuda66 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    After using both epoxy paints I like the Klass Kote 2 part better,even tho it costs more per ounce it actually takes a lot less to coat the same amount of bullets and I believe has a harder slicker coating.I can bake about 500 9mm at a time in my Mattel "Easy Bake" Oven,baking at 300 for 10 minutes cuts down on time between coats,.J/K its a cheapo Toaster oven,If I needed to do more I would look into a larger oven.It's important to let the coatings dry completely before baking so they don't stick to each other
    Man, if Barbie and Skipper get wind of this you're going to be in big trouble.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    that's cool stuff. How about some pictures if possible.
    Okay first pic is 200 grain LRN 45 acp,2nd is 125 grain LRN 9mm,3rd is 155 grain LRN 40 S&W

Aceoky likes this.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    dukalmighty

Thanks for the pics .... but the whiner in me is wanting new pics and commentary showing step by step of your entire process. Actually a 30 minute video would be great, along with complete lists of necessary supplies, vendors and prices. Maybe even a hands on demo of the process would be even better .... you're in Texas, I'm in Texas .... how far could it be

Thanks again for sharing your work and results.

surv

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I'm still not understanding this. You are doing this to prevent lead fouling in the barrel?

I can scrub led fouling out of a barrel with a standard brass brush in less than five minutes; faster if it's been prepped with Frog Lube.

Is there some special application I'm missing?
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I'm still not understanding this. You are doing this to prevent lead fouling in the barrel?

I can scrub led fouling out of a barrel with a standard brass brush in less than five minutes; faster if it's been prepped with Frog Lube.

Is there some special application I'm missing?
    It's not so much lead in the barrel,it's lead in the air,when a cartridge fires the gunpowder is hot enough that it heats the back of the bullet hot enough to release lead fumes,outside it's not much of a problem,but indoors even with a decent ventilation system the lead in the air can become a problem especially for Range employees that spend a lot of time in the range.The guy that shoots once a month or once every 6 months it's not gonna be as much of a problem,The Indoor range I shoot at will not allow non jacketed bullets due to the lead hazard,but they will let me shoot epoxy coated bullets.
    The Epoxy coated bullets also allows the ammo to be loaded and bullets pushed at close to jacketed speeds without leading the barrel which if you pushed a uncoated cast bullet at the same speed would lead your barrel up
    As far as the Powder Coated bullets it can come down to cost,some guys have fired PC coated bullets around 2800 FPS,usually a cast rifle bullet has a Gas Check pressed on the back to keep the back of the bullet from melting,the Powder Coat eliminates the need for a gas check and I can cast and powder coat bullets to fire out of my AR15 around .02 each,so with cost of powder and primers I'm reloading 100 rounds of 223 for about $10.00
    Aceoky and StormRhydr like this.

Another thing is that PC or EC bullets are not as smokey as other lubed bullets. I know that I go shoot steel I can tell who's shooting cast lead bullets by the smell and by the smoke.

Have you by chance tested to see what (if any) effects the coating has on expansion
    StormRhydr likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Im late to the party on all this, but find it fascinating. Anyone try this coating of (hard) cast lead bullets for 9mm? And if so, tried them out of a Glock?

Ex Member
    May be OK for range work but I wouldn't get those near a SD handgun.
    dukalmighty likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links