40S&W or 357SIG

This is a discussion on 40S&W or 357SIG within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, here lies a question. Which would you choose for SD given your knowledge of or experience with each? Feel free to elaborate and why ...

View Poll Results: 40S&W or 357SIG?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 40S&W

32 47.06%
  • 357SIG

15 22.06%
  • Have no experience with 40S&W

1 1.47%
  • Have no experience with 357SIG

6 8.82%
  • I have real life experience with both and will testify which is better

0 0%
  • 9mm is my best option and I'lll stick with it

14 20.59%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 40S&W or 357SIG

40S&W or 357SIG

Well, here lies a question. Which would you choose for SD given your knowledge of or experience with each? Feel free to elaborate and why you would choose one over the other. This is by no means a caliber debate. I don't care what pistol you're using/carrying. Brand names, size, magazine capacity, etc can all be left out of this ordeal. Respective ammo costs are also not of concern here. Simply put....which cartridge would you, or do you feel more confident in carrying and why? For some it may come down to what you are more accurate with in your choice of pistol. There may be many factors that led you to deciding one over the other, and this question is only for those who have actually tried and tested both. Also include your real world experiences with either cartridge if you have them to tell. Long story short, I always liked the 40S&W for CC, but recently opted to swap to the 357SIG in my same carry pistol.
    I had an extensive conversation with a south central Arkansas sheriff deputy recently who had been involved in a real life shooting incident on duty in which the 357SIG did not perform well. He was not impressed. Matter of fact, after we talked a bit, the 40S&W never got mentioned again. 9mm and more capacity was pretty much his take on surviving from his end when necessary. Opinions are always good. When you want opinions on what's good ammo and what stops criminals, where else would you ask other than those on the front lines? Real life experiences are worth more than some article in G&A, or listening to the ballistics experts or statistics from who knows where. Then again, is the 357SIG an answer to a problem that never existed? Is the 40S&W the best in the same size pistol?

My apologies if the poll seems limited. Suggestions welcomed.
    SuperRuger101 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

IMO they're both very good rounds and most BG would never know the difference in which they were shot with.(or care)
    TopGun47 likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    IMO they're both very good rounds and most BG would never know the difference in which they were shot with.(or care)
    It's not about the BG. It's about you and what you feel more comfortable with carrying for your own reasons. I'm sure most will continue to shoot until the threat is neutralized no matter what. Truth be known, BGs would probably prefer being hit with a 45ACP and ending up in the ER before they're taken to jail.

You'll find far more making it to the ER shot with 9mm or less than .45
    TopGun47 likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Well, this escalated quickly.
    IndianaSig likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Never had the pleasure of shooting a .357sig but somewhere down the line I'll have a pistol that can accomadate the
    40/357sig swap
    I have a SW sd 40 now and it runs great if some one made a barrel I could swap I would do it
    The sd has a14+1 capacity so if the bg doesn't go down after 5 thers 5 more or 5 more after that
    Reload and repeat is prolly not needed but I carry and extra mag

9mm here because of more capacity, cheaper ammo during normal circumstances, reloading components availability, less recoil, and ballistics have advanced to the point where there is minimal difference between the 9mm and larger calibers. Don't get me wrong, I love the 40 and 357sig (as well as a .45 and 10mm) but for an all around great cartridge I have most often been carrying a 9mm lately.

Having said this, during an "apocolyptic-like" event similar to the one this past winter/spring that demonstrated 9mm will NOT be everywhere like the "experts" always said, having other options is nice. This is why I'm always going to keep, practice with, and carry on occasion other calibers.

i was a very early convert to the .357SIG round (1995 or so). i liked the fact that it tried to duplicate the ballistics of the 125 grain, .357Magnum semi-jacketed HP, which had been the gold standard for handgun effectiveness for many years. i liked the hoped for feeding reliability of the bottleneck round. i liked what was, at the time, the better intrinsic accuracy of the SIG round over .40S&W (i don't know if this is still true, but i shoot better groups with .357SIG than i do with .40S&W). and i liked the fact that i could always get a .40 barrel and shoot that caliber if the SIG round failed to catch on. (i have factory Sig barrels in both calibers for each of my P-229's)

with thousands of rounds now fired through my original Sig P-229, using about 90% .357SIG rounds and 10% .40S&W rounds, i have never experienced a failure of any kind.

my only concern has been an occasional bullet setback in rounds that get chambered and re-chambered several times. i watch for this, and discard any round that appears visibly shorter that it's fellows.

Distinguished Member
    if practice ammo cost and availability is not a concern then i may be interested in having a .357sig for SD but for now i'm sticking with .40SW

i have flirted with the idea of having two Hk P2000, one in each caliber. or having a factory conversion barrel so i can practice with the .40 and carry the .357 that way i can uae the same holster and mags and have the exact same platform.

is it true that the .357 is louder then the .40 ? never heard one go off without ear protection. if so i might choose to keep the .40

i have limited experience with the .357sig, i would say that both are more accurate then i can shoot and both are reliable in my experience.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I chose .357 sig because it is a powerful round and can do a lot of damage on impact. It will also penetrate barriers that .40 just can not. The upside to either caliber is you can just buy the opposite barrel and shoot both with just a barrel change.

VIP Member
    I can shoot well with both .40 and .357SIG but I'm a bit more accurate with .357SIG. Maybe it's the round, maybe it's just me, who knows but it works. I've carried one for SD for quite some time now. If I was in the business of selling and/or trading guns, I'd probably get rid of my .40 Glock's and just put the cash towards a .40 barrel or two since they're interchangeable.

I'd love to have a 1911 in .357SIG. I'm not sure if they exist, but Google should let me know in a few seconds...
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    i was a very early convert to the .357SIG round (1995 or so). i liked the fact that it tried to duplicate the ballistics of the 125 grain, .357Magnum semi-jacketed HP, which had been the gold standard for handgun effectiveness for many years. i liked the hoped for feeding reliability of the bottleneck round. i liked what was, at the time, the better intrinsic accuracy of the SIG round over .40S&W
    My thoughts/experiences exactly!

As post #1 shows, you can't judge a caliber based on one shooting. But people will change their caliber choices based on one shooting.

Point of impact on the human body aside (as it is the one most important factor, and is caliber independent), the construction of the bullet itself, and the velocity it impacts at, has much more effect on a human body than whether it's a 9, 357, 40, or 45. This point seems lost on so many people and is why I usually stay out of caliber wars.

40s&w for me, carry one everyday and keep another one in nightstand 24/7. 9 40 and 10mm are my calibers of choice. I would rather have a 357mag in revolver
    G23 gen3 HD
    G27 gen3 EDC
    Bushmaster AR15
    Rem 870

Distinguished Member
    Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. The End.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9BPLE View Post
    the construction of the bullet itself, and the velocity it impacts at, has much more effect on a human body than whether it's a 9, 357, 40, or 45.
    i thought the greatest advantage of the .357SIG was velocity as compared to the 9mm and .40 SW
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links