TV, Movies, and the 9X19

This is a discussion on TV, Movies, and the 9X19 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read a question posed on here and I'm paraphrasing, but it went sort of like this: If the majority of law enforcement in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: TV, Movies, and the 9X19

TV, Movies, and the 9X19

I read a question posed on here and I'm paraphrasing, but it went sort of like this: If the majority of law enforcement in the U.S. has moved away from the 9mm parabellum as a defense caliber and if the public in the past has bought defense guns based on what the police carry, why has the 9mm continued to be as popular as it has remained with civilians?
    After thinking about some of the reasons already suggested (low cost training ammo, lower recoil, more availability in smaller guns) I thought of something else...What about the effect of TV and movies?
    You have to admit two things:
    1. Movies and TV do have an effect on the buying habits of the shooting public. If that weren't so, the .44 magnum's popularity would not have skyrocketed the way it did after the "Dirty Harry" series of movies.
    2. At least based on what I've seen so far, if you depended on TV and movie screenwriters for your version of reality, all semiautomatic pistols that aren't WW2 GI guns are 9mm's (or as the TV characters say, "9 Mills". Funny, but I never hear them referred to as "mills" by anyone else but TV characters).
    Maybe I'm on to something here. Maybe I'm not. Would anybody like to weigh in on why TV and movie props being "9 millimeter" may make people want to buy and shoot 9X19 guns?

2. Remove Ads

A lot of people are what some radio talk show hosts refer to as "low information" voters. That does not necessarily limit itself to politics. Mel Gibson carried one in Lethal Weapon. The military carries them as standard issue for the troops that are issued pistols. What else do they need to know?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

The gross ignorance of the movie-watching public, not to mention non-technical screenwriters, are probably behind that. Over the wide array of cop and military movies, it's the rare one indeed that actually pays attention to the technical side of weaponry. Nine millimeter has been in the LE community for around 40 years now, and the .40 wasn't even a decade newer, but you still don't hear much big screen or little screen reference to the .40. And forget the .357 Sig entirely! If you asked a non-shooting friend what caliber pistol the local cops carry, I'd bet you a donut he'd say (or ask) nine millimeter.

To misquote H.L. Mencken, "no one has ever gone broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    1. Movies and TV do have an effect on the buying habits of the shooting public. If that weren't so, the .44 magnum's popularity would not have skyrocketed the way it did after the "Dirty Harry" series of movies.
    Yup. Movie madness ain't limited to just the summer blockbuster effects. The product placements, too, can have effects of their own.

I'm waiting for the "Bazoomercom" schwag to become available! (From the 2000 David Mamet film State And Main.)

Would anybody like to weigh in on why TV and movie props being "9 millimeter" may make people want to buy and shoot 9X19 guns?
    The "big" 9 millimeter has a certain ring to it, out there. 9mm came along during the "wonder 9" era, by and large, in terms of popularity. That was about the time the FBI was finding out it was a tad under-gunned in key situations (ref: the Miami shootout, in 1986).

If what folks hear and see are AK's, AR's and 9mm's, then that's what they'll be aware of when they go purchasing. Most won't know any different, or that other choices might be better suited to their situations.

Myself, I simply hate relying strictly on what I've heard. I want to experience it, first-hand. Until then, I have a hard time believing the advertised pap we've all heard. But then, I'm a skeptic, cynic and circumspect. (Ugly combo, when out looking for an item.) Can't imagine everyone's that way, though. Most seem to think about a few things they've heard, ask one or two questions, then spring for the buy. Whatever works.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    To misquote H.L. Mencken, "no one has ever gone broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
    Mencken had a lot right.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Glocks that are "hammer cocked" (you can hear it often ) every AR is full auto , really too many unrealistic things to mention on here; but yes I'd say that has a great deal to do with the sales figures -
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Media influence has a lot to do with everything. We just hope people open their minds after the firearm bug bites. I know, I know... Hope in one hand.
    Oldpsufan likes this.

I inadvertently made a double post earlier. Of the 2 the post below is my favorite. My computer while barely 3 years old has issues like you wouldn't believe. It's really giving me fits.

If I ever buy another PC I'm thinking about getting a MAC and flippin' old Bill Gates the bird!!

OldSkeetShooter Likes post #8 below.
    Last edited by NONAME762; October 17th, 2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Accidental double post-my 'puter is giving me fits AGAIN
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Speaking of the Ruger "P series" I long had a P97 DC , I really liked that pistol
    GhostMaker likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    'Cause "Mr. Nine Millimeter" sounds cooler than "Mr. Forty Caliber."
    Gav1230 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

How about the 9mm is a great round dead folks around the world can attest to it. Is it the best in all categories? No. But it does many things well. It's cheap and available(In normal times) It's comparatively easy to shoot and a wide variety of platforms have been built for it. It works.
    StormRhydr and mcp1810 like this.

VIP Member
    There was a time when Guns and Blammo and Dirty Harry movies were the main sources of influence on peoples' opinions. That time ended about the time we started flipping these laptop screens open.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

C'mon folks it is the TV and the movies. Their grasp of reality is minimal at best. Their business is entertainment.

If you let your viewing enjoyment be tempered by technical issues related to weapons or by the politics of the actors then you might as well not watch at all.

That being said, the answer to the OP's question is YES viewers are influenced by what they see on TV/Movie Screen.To the uninformed cool outweighs functionality every time.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

What I want is one of those subcompact single-stack 9's that holds like maybe 60 rounds.
    Aceoky and tdave like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Because vee liebe
    die Deutsche Tachenpistole in zee 9 Millimeetah.
    StormRhydr and NONAME762 like this.
    Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby---Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Guaranteed Worldwide Delivery in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman II--- SAC WILL BE BACK!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    the answer to the OP's question is YES viewers are influenced by what they see on TV/Movie Screen.To the uninformed cool outweighs functionality every time.
    I'd say lower ammo prices coupled with higher capacity and less recoil contribute more to the popularity of 9mm pistols than the simple fact that they are on TV. TV and movies may have some influence, but I wouldn't go so far to say it's the only thing keeping the 9mm popular even though a lot of LE agencies switched to .40. Anyways, there have been more than a few LE agencies go back to 9mm or let the officers pick between the two.

Not everyone chooses their pistol based on what cops carry. What is best for a cop isn't always best for a civilian. The 9mm is arguably the better choice for a civilian where the marginal ballistic advantage isn't necessarily worth the loss in capacity, increased price, and snappier recoil.

But hey what do I know, I'm just an uninformed guy who apparently chose 9mm because Mel Gibson made it cool....not for any functional reason listed above.

OP, also wanted to add that in my unit we referred to our Beretta M9's as "9 mils" just like we referred to M2 machine guns as "fifties."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links