Real life experiences with the 9mm Luger

This is a discussion on Real life experiences with the 9mm Luger within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to disclose that this is not intended to be a caliber war. It's merely a compilation of real life experiences you may have ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Real life experiences with the 9mm Luger

I want to disclose that this is not intended to be a caliber war. It's merely a compilation of real life experiences you may have had with the 9mm Luger/9x19 and relaying how effective (or ineffective) it was.

Judging by the large number of LEOs and ex/current military, or even civilians wo have had the bad luck of getting shot or shooting someone, I thought there would be some real life accounts on how well or badly the 9mm round does.

Backstory: everyone has met this guy before - that guy at the range who's a pretty good shot but also takes that expertise as leverage to be a know-it-all. I came across one such guy at the range today. Aside from giving me advice I didn't ask for (two pieces of which I found helpful!) he wouldn't let go of the fact that I was shooting my Glock 26, which everyone knows is 9mm. He kept going on and on about how ineffective the round is and urged me to convert to .40/.357 sig or 10mm. He was somewhat satisfied that I also shot .45 ACP but he wouldn't let the 9mm thing go.

So here I am asking the folks at DC what your real life experiences are. To prevent this from getting out of hand, let's NOT bring up any other caliber. Simply focus on 9mm and what it can and can't do.

I look forward to the anecdotes and accounts. Fire away.

2. Remove Ads

He's an idiot. Probably my Ex-BIL, or Ex-SIL. A real moron regardless.

Modern firearms and modern loadings can be debated all day, and suffer through data sets and gelatin measurements and chrono tests and the like, ad infinitum ad naseum, but it boils down to what the shooter shoots bests to get the best shots on target the fastest.

Everything else is extraneous data meant to confuse, distract, or sell something.

Your "Range Buddy" ( ) is full of it.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No personal experience with a 9mm in that manner, but I did stare down the muzzle of a 1911 once, and it impressed me so much I bought a .45. I may have done the same thing if the guy had a 9mm, but man, was that bore huge!
    Aceoky, halem1, OD* and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Just tell him all handguns are lousy manstoppers and that you typically carry a M1 Garand (in .30-06, not the whimpy, watered-down .308 version).
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No personal experience with a 9mm in that manner, but I did stare down the muzzle of a 1911 once, and it impressed me so much I bought a .45. I may have done the same thing if the guy had a 9mm, but man, was that bore huge!
    That's what she said?
    The best way to stop incoming fire is accurate outgoing fire.

I enlarged and printed some crime scene photos for a lawyer in which a young male had been shot once with a 9mm round in the abdomen just below the ribs and a bit to the right of center. In one of the photos the victim was sitting up in a chair holding the wounded area. I asked the lawyer how the kid was doing and was told that he bled out and died before EMS arrived. Seems the 9mm round was pretty effective...
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Distinguished Member
    well there was this honeysuckle tree that i used as a target stand. it took over 200 rounds of WWB to cut it down.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I have carried 9mm, .40, .357 Mag, .357Sig &, .45acp, have all been issued to me as a LE carry sidearm.

With proper powered loads and modern expanding High Tech bullet weights and configurations, it is quite easy to get 450-500+ ft-lbs of POI energy at ~10 yards from each of these calibers.
    Much is up to the exact use of the sidearm such as defeating intermediate barriers (auto-glass, interior doors, etc.) in determining the best caliber, barrel length, sights, preferences, recoil etc,.

Then the CCW citizen must decide on the length of barrel, weight of sidearm, capacity, mode of carry, etc., etc.
    Often, in the Summer heat, I will carry a 9mm+P bonded GDHP, which will solve any problem I run across.
    On cold Winter Days, I like a Colt Defender .45acp+P with 525 ft-lbs with Warhead Bullets towards defeating the heavy clothing of an attacker.

Since I was trained to Double-Tap, I feel quite safe with any of my sidearms, if the 1st Double Tap is lacking, I'll offer another and be on my way.
    Its all about choosing the right sidearm and the most effective ammo to compliment it, now days.
    Self Defense rounds preclude the need for intermediate targets or great range, but should penetrate and expand with shorter barrels.

So now, the right round / ammo with the right sidearms are the most critical decisions to make.
    DetChris likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about it too much people like that are not going to be changed by your opinions. What matters most it what you feel comfortable with. Im comfortable with a 32ACP.
    9mm and 38 sized guns have been the mainstay of LEOS all over the world for nearly a century. Plus all the millitarys that have made the 9mm their Standard, Id believe that a 9mm was plenty. DR
    mr.stuart and CeltKnight like this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I want to disclose that this is not intended to be a caliber war. It's merely a compilation of real life experiences you may have had with the 9mm Luger/9x19 and relaying how effective (or ineffective) it was.

Judging by the large number of LEOs and ex/current military, or even civilians wo have had the bad luck of getting shot or shooting someone, I thought there would be some real life accounts on how well or badly the 9mm round does.

Backstory: everyone has met this guy before - that guy at the range who's a pretty good shot but also takes that expertise as leverage to be a know-it-all. I came across one such guy at the range today. Aside from giving me advice I didn't ask for (two pieces of which I found helpful!) he wouldn't let go of the fact that I was shooting my Glock 26, which everyone knows is 9mm. He kept going on and on about how ineffective the round is and urged me to convert to .40/.357 sig or 10mm. He was somewhat satisfied that I also shot .45 ACP but he wouldn't let the 9mm thing go.

So here I am asking the folks at DC what your real life experiences are. To prevent this from getting out of hand, let's NOT bring up any other caliber. Simply focus on 9mm and what it can and can't do.

I look forward to the anecdotes and accounts. Fire away.
    I concur on the diagnosis of idiot. Terminal ballistics studies have concluded that differences between anything from .380 to .45ACP are nearly identical, so it really doesn't matter much. 10mm has a bit more umph to it, but still, anything in a ahndgun caliber isn't going to come remotely close to the power of rifle calibers, if you could see them all lined up on a scale of least to most powerful. The entire range of handgun ammo would fall into about the bottom 5% of the entire scale.

Screw that guy, stick with your G26. I carry a 9mm myself, and have no concerns about it's ability to stop a threat.
    DetChris and CeltKnight like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Any anecdotes you get are just that. You need a large sample size to draw any conclusions.

Here you go

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power
    wester likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Any anecdotes you get are just that. You need a large sample size to draw any conclusions.

Here you go

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power
    I remember this. Simply says all handgun rounds are basically the same. I somewhat stopped believing when I saw that .380 ACP did better than the .45 and .357 for one shot stop.
    Hobo_Hunter likes this.

You're looking in the wrong place, man. You'll be hard pressed to find someone with experience on a website like this regarding real life encounters involving gun fights. I'm not saying that there aren't any here, I'm just saying that 90%+ of the people on this website have never and will never use a firearm in a real situation.
    "Holy crap, what a turd that thing was. I love Ruger, but man, the first time I pulled the trigger I thought I was going to have a birthday before it broke. " - Yarg28

Quote Originally Posted by Mxfreak_24 View Post
    You're looking in the wrong place, man. You'll be hard pressed to find someone with experience on a website like this regarding real life encounters involving gun fights. I'm not saying that there aren't any here, I'm just saying that 90%+ of the people on this website have never and will never use a firearm in a real situation.
    On the contrary I've hung out here enough to know there are a lot of combat vets and retired LEO. There has to be stories in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jblitz View Post
    I enlarged and printed some crime scene photos for a lawyer in which a young male had been shot once with a 9mm round in the abdomen just below the ribs and a bit to the right of center. In one of the photos the victim was sitting up in a chair holding the wounded area. I asked the lawyer how the kid was doing and was told that he bled out and died before EMS arrived. Seems the 9mm round was pretty effective...
    Shot placement is everything. Train, train, and train some more.
    bigpapa likes this.
    Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby---Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Guaranteed Worldwide Delivery in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman II--- SAC WILL BE BACK!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links