4" Kimber 1911 Defensive ammo

This is a discussion on 4" Kimber 1911 Defensive ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My new Compact Stainless II is on its way, so I'm taking all suggestions for defensive hollowpoints for a 4" 1911, preferably a Kimber. What ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4" Kimber 1911 Defensive ammo

4" Kimber 1911 Defensive ammo

My new Compact Stainless II is on its way, so I'm taking all suggestions for defensive hollowpoints for a 4" 1911, preferably a Kimber. What works well in your gun? What doesn't? What expands the best from a 4" barrel? What doesn't? Any other comments are welcomed.

Thanks all!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

2. Remove Ads

Expansion

I recently took my Kimber Pro Elite, 4 inch, out to the range for a test session. I found the Remington Golden Sabres, 185 Plus P did a good job. I also liked the Winchester 230 Talons. But as I fired into the soaking phone books, I noticed the Extreme Shock, anti-terrorists rounds performed the best. The AFR's exploded out the back of the books with LARGE holes. I did not have a caliper. The Fang Face rounds penetrated far too much, but expect they would be useful when fired into an automobile etc. These Extreme Shocks are very expensive, but I am impressed. Had ho hum results with Federal 185 and Winchester Silver tips. Bye the bye, had a good day experiencing NO malfunctions after a couple of hundred rounds. Love my Kimber...

Any modern defense round should do it's job as long as you put it in the right place. Try out different rounds and see if they function well and that you are accurate with them. The very latest whiz bang ammo geek round won't save you if it's jammed on the feed ramp or misses the target. Even ball has done the job over the years when placed correctly, modern defense ammo is just a little better.

I've settled on Federal EFMJ 200+P for my 4" and Gold Dot 230 short barrel loads for my 3". What works best for you and your 4" will take some range time to discover.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I use corbon powerball ammo in my kimber ultra carry. expands well and never had a problem feeding.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

You might like the stuff here.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/45ACP.html

http://www.stevespages.com/page8f.htm

Great comparisons!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

The previous posts are on the mark. In a self-defense scenario your'll almost be guaranteed to fire more than one shot at an assailant since you'll be shooting to stop an attack.

Just about any of the modern hollowpoints will work, or not, under the right conditions. The key is rapid followup shots. After testing which loads will reliably cycle your Kimber (mine does not like the long DPX loads, but my Glock likes them just fine), invest in some cheap paper plates and fire rapid pairs or triples of your candidate loads just to see which group the tightest.

Be sure to try the test with one hand as well as two. If you can group well with one hand, two won't be a problem.

why not a 3inch kimber??

just wondering because I have a 3" and do not shoot tight groups yet , but I am trying different loads till I get something tight. Also any thoughts on a goo load for a 3". thanks habit

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhabit View Post
    just wondering because I have a 3" and do not shoot tight groups yet , but I am trying different loads till I get something tight. Also any thoughts on a goo load for a 3". thanks habit
    I own a 3 inch Kimber, and while shooting tight groups is fine and dandy, remember that it is a defensive weapon and not really made for competition shooting.

If you can hit COM regularly from fighting distances, I'd say you're doing just fine.

Having said that, I prefer either Golden Sabre or Hydrashoks in 230 gr. JHP
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I have a Pro Carry II 4" that I'm carrying 230gr hydra-shoks in. They feed well and I've read good things about their expansion abilities.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

165gr CorBon DPX developed for short barrels would be my choice all year, if she feeds reliable...

Dead

Quote Originally Posted by deadmarsh View Post
    165gr CorBon DPX developed for short barrels would be my choice all year, if she feeds reliable...
    Agreed.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I use Winchester Ranger SXT 230gr JHP in both my 3" and 5" Kimbers. No feed problems at all, consistent performance (indicating good quality control). As accurate as any load I've tried. A bonus is the price. A 50-round box at about $17-$18 is comparable to some others' 20-round box.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

230 gr Winchester Ranger T.
    For information on getting your CCW License in California please visit CalCCW.

Remington Golden Sabre 230gr.gives good results out of my 4.25" Combat Commander.Accurate,good expansion.

Corbon DPX is good stuff, but probably too expensive to regularly practice as much as you should. Gold Dot works fine for me.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links