Lake City Green Tip 62 gr 5.56 for SHTF Ammo "Hoarding"???

This is a discussion on Lake City Green Tip 62 gr 5.56 for SHTF Ammo "Hoarding"??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am picking up my new Mossberg SA-20 next week and am strongly considering adding a Colt 6290 to the purchase. For me the purchase ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lake City Green Tip 62 gr 5.56 for SHTF Ammo "Hoarding"???

I am picking up my new Mossberg SA-20 next week and am strongly considering adding a Colt 6290 to the purchase. For me the purchase price of the gun is nominal. I would eventually want around 10,000 rounds of SHTF ammo for it. Best deal if have found on the net now is a 2000 round lot of Federal Lake City 5.56 62 gr XM855/SS109. This is Nato spec steel core ammo. 2000 rounds shipped for around $860.

Anybody have expericance with this ammo? What I'm reading about it sounds good but before I buy 4000 rounds or so it would be good to hear some feedback for DC members on it. Also roughly what would it have gone for pre-panic. I hate to buy at inflated prices but I know we will never see pre-Sandy prices again either. Thanks, any feed back is appreciated.

I reload all of my 5.56 SP or Ballistic tip. FMJs are for punching paper not BGs. As civilians we are not restricted to FMJ. I want something that is not going to over penetrate. I guess that's the nice way to put it.

Sponsor
    Ditto.

XM855 is great shooting ammo but it is not optimal for defensive use. I do use the steel core 62gn. bullets for my hand loads when I can get the pills a good price but there are far better offerings for true defensive loads.

Doesn't look like too bad a price if that includes all hazmat fees and shipping, though I haven't bought any LC loaded 5.56 in many years so I'm not real sure of what the going rates are.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

The 6920 has 1 in 7 rifling, so I stick to heavier bullets such as the XM855, rather than 55 grain which you might find a bit cheaper but can over-rotate and be less stable and less accurate (versus the 55 gr round fired from a 1 in 10 twist, for example).

If you are looking for CQB rounds, you could spend considerably more for hollow points; if you were buying home defense rounds XM855 is not ideal due to penetration (there are better options). But for SHTF ammo, I think this is the right round.

I'd suggest buying a few hundred rounds and run it through your rifle to be sure - I think the price trend is generally down right now, so you likely won't have to spend more if you stock up in a month - barring any maniacs taking up arms in the meantime...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sponsor
    I'm getting good minute of man consistency from 55gn machine pulled bullets from a 16" 1/7 barrel at 200 yards. Certainly not bull's eye accuracy but good enough for plinking and emergency situations.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like this will work for SHTF. For general HD a semi auto shotgun is my preferred weapon, 10 round mag limit in CA makes a shotgun look good. The Colt and this ammo would be for a time when there is no rule of law.

It's what I use and has been flawless through 1000+ rounds.
    British by birth. American by choice.

I use it as well, it works.
    I have 6 mags loaded with it just in case im in need more "material" penetration.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I have some of this too and have been planning on stocking up a bit for a rainy day.

As others have said, over penetration can be an issue. The stuff is "nearly armor piercing" as I've heard it described and will go through 1/4" plate at a good distance. At the same time, armored attackers are a growing concern and normal defensive bullets may not be enough.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Keep PMC X-Tac in mind too. They have an M855 load that sells for about as cheap as LC stuff. Useful if you're having trouble locating LC M855 and works just as good.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Keep PMC X-Tac in mind too. They have an M855 load that sells for about as cheap as LC stuff. Useful if you're having trouble locating LC M855 and works just as good.
    +1 Picked up a case in July at $449 per thousand.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    I am picking up my new Mossberg SA-20 next week and am strongly considering adding a Colt 6290 to the purchase. For me the purchase price of the gun is nominal. I would eventually want around 10,000 rounds of SHTF ammo for it. Best deal if have found on the net now is a 2000 round lot of Federal Lake City 5.56 62 gr XM855/SS109. This is Nato spec steel core ammo. 2000 rounds shipped for around $860.

Anybody have expericance with this ammo? What I'm reading about it sounds good but before I buy 4000 rounds or so it would be good to hear some feedback for DC members on it. Also roughly what would it have gone for pre-panic. I hate to buy at inflated prices but I know we will never see pre-Sandy prices again either. Thanks, any feed back is appreciated.
    Not a bad deal, wanna say "where"? (PM me with the info if you prefer and don't mind)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    Not a bad deal, wanna say "where"? (PM me with the info if you prefer and don't mind)
    Try here:

Federal Lake City 5.56 62gr XM855/SS109 Green Tip 2000 Rnds Loose - JEK Inc
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    ...gunbot.net...

Thanks!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links