Pistol caliber ammo from a 16 inch carbine barrel???

This is a discussion on Pistol caliber ammo from a 16 inch carbine barrel??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering a 9mm (just right) carbine. I'm curious how the 16 inch barrel affects the velocity of the round. I've heard generalizations for 45 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Pistol caliber ammo from a 16 inch carbine barrel???

I'm considering a 9mm (just right) carbine. I'm curious how the 16 inch barrel affects the velocity of the round. I've heard generalizations for 45 acp with less than a 5 inch barrel loseing 50 FPS per inch of barrel. Would a 16 inch barrel make a standard pressure 9mm perform more like a +P round?
    ArmyCop likes this.

My understanding is that it picks up speed and gets close to a 357 mag dep on gun and round , might not hit it like but speed is there so . That may not be true , but 9mm will pick up a bit of zip unlike 45. I am no master of bullets. But I know that 9 mm is one handfuls of pistol stuff that does not suck in a nfa legal barrel .

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: 9mm Luger Results Compared bottom to top
    gasmitty and ArmyCop like this.

typically for 9mm your going to squeeze out a few hundred FPS more than you would out of a pistol.

testing with the PX4 storm indicated the same velocitys with 115g plus p and 115g standard.
    ill try to find the youtube of it.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

I have 2000 rounds of Winchester Ranger 147 grain. I'm thinking a 33 round magazine on a 16 inch barrel might work nice. Expansion and penetration should be sufficient if it's boosted from from 950 to 1150 FPS.

Thanks for the info.

My standard comment is "if I'm gonna carry a firearm with a 16" barrel and shoulder stock, it's gonna fire a rifle round". You should get something in return for giving up concealment and maneuverability, and taking on more weight - another 100 fps ain't it. .223 does better inside structures, and bad guys, than any pistol round.
    mr surveyor and Bullet1234 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    My standard comment is "if I'm gonna carry a firearm with a 16" barrel and shoulder stock, it's gonna fire a rifle round". You should get something in return for giving up concealment and maneuverability, and taking on more weight - another 100 fps ain't it. .223 does better inside structures, and bad guys, than any pistol round.
    Good point! But a riffle is only good with ammo. In a pinch I already have a LARGE stockpile of pistol caliber ammo. If a long term SHTF situation came about a pistol caliber carbine would be welcomed and usefull. The (Just Right Carbine) takes glock mags and for $170 can convert from 9mm/40/45. A worthy tool to add to the war chest.

A handgun-caliber carbine can also be used on indoor ranges that don't allow rifles as a rule. I can see their utility, and a Storm with 30 round mags would be a pretty formidable defensive firearm at close range.
    onacoma likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    I'm considering a 9mm (just right) carbine. I'm curious how the 16 inch barrel affects the velocity of the round. I've heard generalizations for 45 acp with less than a 5 inch barrel loseing 50 FPS per inch of barrel. Would a 16 inch barrel make a standard pressure 9mm perform more like a +P round?
    I've never measured the muzzle velocity of it, but I hae a 9mm AR platform rifle, and it works very well. We're only allowed to carry handgun round weapons for armed security in this state, unless we carry a (newly allowed) shotgun, so to carry a rifle, I had to go with something in a smaller caliber, and I picked this up fairly cheaply.

DPMS AR 9mm. Old pic. I've since replaced the gas block up front and swapped out the post sight for a pop-up battle sight.

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Here you go on some test we did against Ballistic Glass: Ballistic Glass Tests - 9mm +P+, 357 Sig, 40 SW, 45 ACP

The 9mm +P+ out of a Glock 17 pistol barely penetrated two layer of the glass, however the same round out of a MP5 when straight through. The longer barrel gives you both an increase in velocity as well as energy!

As a note I have a CX-4 carbine with 4 - 30 round magazines, loaded Winchester Ranger +P+ in my house. Please note not all pistol caliber carbines are rated for +P+ ammunition.
    Last edited by onacoma; October 23rd, 2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Add Comment
    Phaedrus likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Good point! But a riffle is only good with ammo. In a pinch I already have a LARGE stockpile of pistol caliber ammo. If a long term SHTF situation came about a pistol caliber carbine would be welcomed and usefull. The (Just Right Carbine) takes glock mags and for $170 can convert from 9mm/40/45. A worthy tool to add to the war chest.

I think also that since many pistol carbines used the same mags as handguns that they are good survival/bug out guns . So one could carry a sub 2000 a glocks 17 and a glock 26 as a backup and use pretty much the same mags and ammo in all of them . Or carry a 59 smith and sub or camp rifle and a 6906 and the same story etc. That is why I like them .

Ex Member
    I have both a high Point 9mm carbine and a Marlin lever action in .38/.357. Both are compatible to my handguns. Wouldn't trade either.
    Buckj likes this.

I have read that 9mm out of a 16 inch barrel will pick up 200-300 fps.

*your results may vary*
    darbo likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I just googled these rifles... For $700-750? Seriously? Id much rather just go with the Kel Tec Sub2000, use the same magazines, and have a smaller package that folds up super small.

As for using the 9mm due to a SHTF scenario... Then why buy this rifle? Its still a 9mm. I understand the pistol caliber carbines, and think they are very cool, but I see absolutely no benefit to this weapon system over a regular AR-15. Just buy a regular AR, AK, or any other semi auto rifle and then store away some ammo. You dont need to buy 50,000 rounds or something crazy like they show on television. Just spend the same, or less money on a real AR or AK rifle, that shoots a real rifle round, and then buy some ammo. It isnt that expensive. You can buy 500 rounds of 7.62x39 for $125. If you got 1,000 rounds, I really dont see how much more you would practically need to store away. Heck, if ammo pricing is the problem, buy an AK-74. The big tins of 5.45x39mm are way cheap. 1080 rounds for $175. Thats cheaper than most .22 you can find nowadays.

I just see no benefit to a standard size AR-15 that shoots a pistol caliber, when you can get rifles that shoot real rifle rounds for the same or half the price of 9mm target ammo.

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I actually like pistol caliber carbines and in some scenarios they make alot of sense! I have a Glock 35 (.40) that shares magazines with my Kel-Tec Sub-2000 in .40. The Sub-2000 folds into a small briefcase size package that is great for travel and simplifies ammo selection. Pistol caliber carbines will not replace a rifle but have their place as a defensive tool, IMHO.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

You can look it up on Ballistics by the Inch.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home

I often carry one of my .44 magnum revolvers and my Marlin 336-44 Texan lever-action rifle while hunting. It is nice having only one ammo to carry for reloads.
    OD* likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links