Home Defense 223/5.56. What am I looking looking for???

This is a discussion on Home Defense 223/5.56. What am I looking looking for??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm am adding a mini 14 to the safe for HD duty. It will be a back up to my semi auto 20 gauge. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Home Defense 223/5.56. What am I looking looking for???

Home Defense 223/5.56. What am I looking looking for???

I'm am adding a mini 14 to the safe for HD duty. It will be a back up to my semi auto 20 gauge. I know Nothing about 223/5.56 ballistics. What type of bullet am I looking for? Over penetration is a concern as I live in a subdivision with homes on a bit less than 1/4 acre lots.

I see bullet weights from 55 grain to 77 grain. I'm assuming I want a lighter frangible bullet to lessen penetration of the sheet rock / stucco homes in my subdivision. Any recommendations on bullet types or manufactures would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

You're asking what the LEO community is recently finding out, and it's counterintuitive. My best suggestion is to go to the box of truth website and look at their penetration tests for handguns, shotguns and rifles in drywall - it's very surprising. If you go with a frangible bullet, like a varmint bullet, you won't get the penetration you need which is why so many states don't allow 223 for deer hunting. On the BOT website, he showed how a heavier bullet will actually tumble and fragment after hitting the first layer of sheetrock (and I've confirmed this myself). What happens is as the bullet tumbles after the first layer of sheetrock it smacks the second layer sideways and/or fragmented. This does 2 things: 1) sheds velocity and mass very quickly and 2) greatly deflects the path of the bullet so that it is more likely to land in the structure of the home.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Something like one of these, for me:
    200 Rounds of Bulk .223 Ammo by Winchester - 55gr PSP
    20 Rounds of Bulk .223 Ammo by Winchester - 64gr PP
    20 Rounds of Bulk .223 Ammo by Speer - 64gr SP
    20 Rounds of Bulk .223 Ammo by Federal - 55gr SP

I shot a Hornady 55 gr. SP into water filled gallon jugs and it made it to the back of the 2nd jug fragmented, about the same result with my Handload using a Nosler 55 gr. Ballistic Tip; I consider back of 2nd jug as a low penetration, would not want / accept less for SD.

The 64 Gr. bullets will go further.
    My Nosler 60 gr. Partition handload went to the back of the 4th jug and held together, recovered about .40 diameter; my boys used that bullet for deer hunting.
    Aceoky likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

For limited penetration of walls, but good results against large mammals, I've found that the 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip strikes a very good balance.

I would think a Hornady V-Max in the same weight would also be acceptable.
    Aceoky and Bad Bob like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I have a mag loaded with 75gr Hornady TAP for home defense. Lighter bullets do not necessarily mean less penetration, where as the type of bullet you shoot has more to do with how far it will penetrate. The weight of bullet you should use is more dependent on the rifling twist of your barrel. For example my AR has a 1 in 7" twist barrel. The faster twist rate will stabilize the heavier bullets such as the 75gr or 77gr rounds. A barrel with a 1 in 9" twist may have an issue stabilizing the heavier bullets.

While I agree that twist rates can effect performance, at in-home distances it really isn't going to matter.
    Aceoky, Kilowatt3 and gasmitty like this.

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

any standard 55Gr spire point or varmit round will do what you need it to do effectively and dissipate rather quickly.

I would look for a basic soft point. The 5.56 is not a high penetration round. Ballistic tip varmint bullets do not penetrate fot squat. A soft maintains mass provides good penetration and power while mini zing risk of collateral damage. There are some defensive rounds such as harmady TAP but i would still stick with a jacketed soft point

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    Aceoky and wishyouwell like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I would look for a basic soft point. The 5.56 is not a high penetration round. Ballistic tip varmint bullets do not penetrate fot squat. A soft maintains mass provides good penetration and power while mini zing risk of collateral damage. There are some defensive rounds such as harmady TAP but i would still stick with a jacketed soft point

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    After seeing firsthand how well a 55gr NBT works against whitetails, I've got some fairly empirical evidence that it penetrates just fine vs flesh and bone.

Enough for me, at least.
    Bassindude and Bad Bob like this.

my 2 cents is stick with the shotgun and use #000-#2 shot. just not a huge rifle for hd guy.

but then again, that's not what this thread is about. haha.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    +1 on the Hornady TAP (tactical application) or the Winchester PDX are both engineered for not having excessive penetration yet have impressive stopping power. One thing you may want to consider is what twist rifling is your Mini-14 is. My Mini 14 (189 series) was most accurate with 64 gr loads due to the rifling. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    55 grain XM193 ball

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    After seeing firsthand how well a 55gr NBT works against whitetails, I've got some fairly empirical evidence that it penetrates just fine vs flesh and bone.

Enough for me, at least.
    I too have seen 55 NBT's on flesh and blood, its what i in the magazine in the gun.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post

I would also shy away from varmint rounds such as the TAP 55gr, V-Max etc. People are not animals, and surely aren't varmints.

Go TAP 75gr if you can shoot it through Mini or a soft point such as Gold Dot etc.

With that being said, I'm a tightwad and use XM193 in AR for all HD purposes

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post

Enough for me, at least.
    Not all NBT bullets are equal... I was speducally referring to varmint rounds and not all ballistic tips in general... I apologies for my lack of clarification.... My favorite muzzleloader shoots a 350 gr ballistic tip bullet with extreme prejudice lol

”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links