Gun Stores Only Selling Certain Calibers to "Members"?

This is a discussion on Gun Stores Only Selling Certain Calibers to "Members"? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SO, something I've been meaning to share about here for a couple weeks. I occasionally visit a gun store on my mom's side of town ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Gun Stores Only Selling Certain Calibers to "Members"?

Gun Stores Only Selling Certain Calibers to "Members"?

SO, something I've been meaning to share about here for a couple weeks. I occasionally visit a gun store on my mom's side of town when I'm out her way to visit. My father in law happened to want some .22LR ammo while I was there. I asked how much they had and the guy behind the counter asked if I was a "member". They weren't selling any .22 to non members. That was odd to me and I had half a mind to tell the guy where he could shove his membership. Anyone else see something similar lately?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    I haven't *seen* it, but I have to wonder why I see them getting in some powders, but they never have the ones I use (Bullseye and 4895).
    gatorbait51 likes this.

At face value that sounds like a horrible business plan. A membership should come with privileges, but not at the expense of the general public's business.
    Last edited by Pachanga; October 31st, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sam's for Ammo? Ask what the privileges are. Depending on the answer you can tell him to take a flying (blank) at a rolling donut.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

How do you join a gun shop, by passing a "pompous jerk" test or something?
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Not too surprising IMO. Many stores of all types reserve high demand items for members of some sort of loyalty program. Kind of like ticket pre sales for concerts. Fan clubs get first pick days before the general public. During the panic, my lgr would only sell ammo if you bought range time, and had limits on certain calibers.

Would it have been better if they had offered it at a discount to members, but charged you a higher price?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The owner of one of the LGS in town belongs to the local gun club that I am a member of, and while it is not spoken, members have no problem getting ammo at reasonable prices and availability. I can't speak for the non members having a problem though, but I suppose it happens.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwrdaben View Post
    ...That was odd to me and I had half a mind to tell the guy where he could shove his membership...
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    ...Ask what the privileges are. Depending on the answer you can tell him to take a flying (blank) at a rolling donut.
    Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    How do you join a gun shop, by passing a "pompous jerk" test or something?
    Wow! A lot of hostility towards the shop owner due to his business plan. I guess you think your "right" to his ammo trumps his right to give preferential treatment to his best customers?

Get a grip. Take the chip off your shoulder, and if a 'membership' is worth it to you, then join. If it's not, then don't. If you don't like his business practices, don't shop there. Simple.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

The LGS owners call me when they get in a gun or ammo that they think I may want to purchase. It never gets to the shelf. No membership, just great customer service for their long time repeat customers.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Any LGS that I knew to be doing that would not get my business. I respect honesty in a business, not elitism.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Wow! A lot of hostility towards the shop owner due to his business plan. I guess you think your "right" to his ammo trumps his right to give preferential treatment to his best customers?

Get a grip. Take the chip off your shoulder, and if a 'membership' is worth it to you, then join. If it's not, then don't. If you don't like his business practices, don't shop there. Simple.
    Grocery stores have been doing this for years. I guess a can of beans is different than 9mm FMJs.

Its called capitalism, and it is what has created the strongest economy in the history of the world and many of the greatest inventions on the planet. When well intentioned (or bad intentioned) folks, ie gubmint, start messing with capitalism, we see a decline in the strength of the system.

They choose how they sell - You choose how you buy!!! Simple as that.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I don't get it. This is America I think. You put your life into a company you started and decide how to do your business and now people want to take that right from him?

I for one understand. Before this gun craze and ammo shortage I could walk in my LGS and shoot a cannon off and not hit anyone. People like me that supported him and didn't go to the net for a $20.00 savings kept him open in our small community. I don't know what welcome a non local stopping by to shop for ammo would get? I got a call from him the other day on a youth hunt the parent couldn't find any ammunition for his kids gun. The owner knew I had a gun in the same caliber. I dropped off two boxes of 20 rounds that is how a lgs should work in my thinking.

Just my thoughts

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    They choose how they sell - You choose how you buy!!! Simple as that.
    That's right. My money is as green as anyone else's, and does not go to fake "exclusive clubs"
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I guess I don't have a problem with it, and I wouldn't have a problem taking my money elsewhere either. If you really didn't have the time to do the legwork to find ammo on your own, it might be worth a membership. Not something I'd do....seems like a good way to lose customers.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Grocery stores have been doing this for years. I guess a can of beans is different than 9mm FMJs.
    True, and Winn-Dixie hasn't earned a dime off me since. I called it discrimination in pricing and walked out, never to return. Shortly after, nearly every W/D in my area closed. Let them survive on their "member dollars" only.
    Last edited by OldVet; October 31st, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links