switching carry loads for winter?

This is a discussion on switching carry loads for winter? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; winter is coming up soon (atleast here in southern Oregon) just wondering if any of you guys/ladies switch to ammo like hornady or others and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: switching carry loads for winter?

switching carry loads for winter?

winter is coming up soon (atleast here in southern Oregon) just wondering if any of you guys/ladies switch to ammo like hornady or others and different grains for winter since people will be wearing more layers. I currently carry 155gr Gold Dot LE, thinking about switching to my stash of 165gr critical defense for the winter. any feed back will be appreciated thank you..

have only been carrying for about 3 months and its been summer weather
    G23 gen3 HD
    G27 gen3 EDC
    Bushmaster AR15
    Rem 870

2. Remove Ads

No, I don't switch loads.

I fail to understand why you wouldn't carry the "winter load" all year long.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    yes, i carry more in the winter because i can.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

not really what I was asking but ok cool.
    Daishin likes this.
    G23 gen3 HD
    G27 gen3 EDC
    Bushmaster AR15
    Rem 870

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I had three BGs get away from me because my SD rounds bounced off their goose down vests. It also does the same thing with denim.

Worse case scenario is the HP plugs up and you drill them with a would-be FMJ. If you have the mythical magic bullet that will perform perfectly in all climates and clothing conditions--use it year round. Otherwise you may need to move either to the tropics or the Arctic.
    Fisher10 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

More likely, I'll be switching from the .38 in the pocket to the .45 under the coat.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Same rounds in all guns but may carry a bigger higher capacity weapon as well as more extra rounds and a BUG

Winter is December and January, MAYBE, where I live. I could be in a t-shirt one day and a coat the next. I don't intend on changing my carry from the other 10 months but on those colder days I MAY swap my carry gun to the next caliber up.

I understand in Oregon it gets coolder than Ga and I understand people will be dressed heavier in winter. The Gold Dot is my Favorite load in 9 it is 124 +p and 40 its the 165. I feel either one of these to be plenty for penetration. I love Hornaday bullets they are what I use in my Reloads. But for Legalities I carry factory loads when CC. I have seen all the videos on Critical Defense ammo but I think I'm going to carry GDs until I see more on the CD ammo. Why not Critical Duty? More velocity and better weight retention. I saw you had put LE on the GDs you were carring can you not get the Critial Duty? Any of the Premium loads for Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabers have a good track record for LE. As long as you pistol functions well and the point of impact does change with the different bullet weights go with the heavier bullets if it makes you feel better. I do understand your thoughts abouts heavier clothing, but any ammo that has passed the FBIs Protocals should be fine for summer or winter.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Personally, i've always used the same loads year around.Thankfully,it hasn't mattered,so far anyway.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

Same load year round. IMO there is really no reason not to carry the best all the time....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Same load for me. But like others have said, with winter clothes on I can generally get away with carrying something a bit larger and heavier
    Sky Pilot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TDH1961 View Post
    I understand in Oregon it gets coolder than Ga and I understand people will be dressed heavier in winter. The Gold Dot is my Favorite load in 9 it is 124 +p and 40 its the 165. I feel either one of these to be plenty for penetration. I love Hornaday bullets they are what I use in my Reloads. But for Legalities I carry factory loads when CC. I have seen all the videos on Critical Defense ammo but I think I'm going to carry GDs until I see more on the CD ammo. Why not Critical Duty? More velocity and better weight retention. I saw you had put LE on the GDs you were carring can you not get the Critial Duty? Any of the Premium loads for Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabers have a good track record for LE. As long as you pistol functions well and the point of impact does change with the different bullet weights go with the heavier bullets if it makes you feel better. I do understand your thoughts abouts heavier clothing, but any ammo that has passed the FBIs Protocals should be fine for summer or winter.
    I can get w.e bullets I want offline but I have critical defense in my stock. no need to buy diff bullets. although I do wanto add critical duty to my bullet supply. was just WONDERING what people switch or don't. got more then I was asking for from some but thanks for your info tdh, im not new to guns and bullets just new to carrying
    G23 gen3 HD
    G27 gen3 EDC
    Bushmaster AR15
    Rem 870

I prefer to carry the same load regardless of weather. My gun selection may change based on what I am/can wear comfortably, but the ammo switch provides no advantage imo.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I think my JHP 357 magnum rounds will penetrate normal winter clothes fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links